Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Joe B will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Joe I feel terrible for you, what a horrible situation. I've read your posts and I can only imagine how powerless you must be feeling. You must be desperate to be able to support your family financially, surely your wife must understand that. Can her family talk some sense into her? It seems clear that the future for your family is in the U.K. Once you get them over there it will be difficult for your wife to take the kids back should your marriage break down in the U.K. But getting that green card has to be the goal before you leave.
Her Mom and Dad are emotionally unavailable to her and I think that's been the norm throughout her life. Her Dad has thrown money at her in the past but he has gone bankrupt and that as now ended.

I truly believe that England is the best move in our position. My cousin has an house for us to rent while we figure out where we live. My family say they will help out. My Dad says he will help out with money. My wife loves Rhode Island and I think moving to the Anglican coast would be ideal for her, probably on the Norfolk broads and that's a comfortable 4 hour drive from my family. Its funny that I complain that we should see her Mom and Dad a lot more often.

The last time I talked about the green card she said we should do something about it in 3 years time and the one before that she said my family should send the money to pay for it.

We got a van after our car was crashed and my wife paid $3000 down and then $250 month. I would have leased a van for $250 month and used the $3000 for the greencard.

I'm going to talk to her about the greencard again tonight and see what she says.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:32 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why would anyone want to go to the UK with you?
You sound like a walking disaster area. You are in the US illegally, but have fathered two children anyway (how do you work?) , lost your home and have little money by the sounds of it. How can you possibly say that life in the UK would be any better - the economic climate and job availability is as bad as the US. You need to step up and start acting like a responsible adult by getting your life sorted out.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Would like to remind everyone that there are two sides to every story.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:48 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe B
I had a thought about moving to Canada and then we are both on neutral ground.
You wont be allowed in having overstayed in the US.

You need to act responsibly, save some money and sort out your immigration status.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
You wont be allowed in having overstayed in the US.

You need to act responsibly, save some money and sort out your immigration status.
Why are the totally rude and uncalled for posts made by DDL and SanDiegogirl not being deleted.

Last edited by Joe B; Sep 28th 2011 at 6:07 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Why are the totally rude and uncalled for posts made by DDL and SanDiegogirl not being deleted.
Joe, buddy, what IanK said was crude but there is truth in what he said. I am amazed you are living in the US illegally, to be honest I am surprised you don't come across concerned for consequences of living here as an illegal alien. For your own sake my friend, you MUST sort out your residential status here in the US. I can only assume you and your wife are being naĆÆve of the immigration law in the US being very strict. I just hope you can clear your immigration status here without getting in any trouble.

I myself am planning to move to the UK but its better to have a clean-chit before making a move. Remember, your wife may not even be allowed to go to the UK as prior to this, she has to apply for settlement visa and one of things you would require is your (British spouse) own residential status in the US with evidence...in your case this can be problematic.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who reads the news?
Nearly all the new immigrants who are the US are there illegally and have found work. Or have I misread something?

There is plenty of work if you are on the US illegally
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheers
Am I the only one who reads the news?
Nearly all the new immigrants who are the US are there illegally and have found work. Or have I misread something?

There is plenty of work if you are on the US illegally
To say nearly all new immigrants to the US are here illegally is a very broad generalization, something I don't agree with...give me the statistics with reference.

Maybe if one is doing a blue-collar job you may get away without stating your status but for other jobs one needs a SS number etc. I am not saying there are no illegal aliens in our country but people who support such illegal aliens are just as bad and, IMHO, have no morale standards.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:07 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Because they are entitled to their opinion and did not break any site rules.

Further discussion of moderation decisions is best done in private, in line with the site rules.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:14 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am here illegally now, I came on a visa waiver and did not change my status in time. I did start the process and got a lawyer and passed the medical and that was that. When I complained about not hearing from immigration my wife got one of her friends to call me pretending to be from immigration and they were taking care of everything.

Nope, we don't have the money to pay the $3000 to get a green card and if we did my wife would rather spend $3,000 on other stuff.

I wouldn't change my mind, if I was to come back to live in North America it would be Canada. I would only be allowed back to US after 10 years.
$3000 for a green card??? That's another lie she's told you.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
$3000 for a green card??? That's another lie she's told you.
How much is it?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

originally , you could probably have gotten it for $1500-$2000 or there abouts , im not sure of how much it was 3years ago, but certainly alot less than 2k i believe....now however, with the overstay and all that, it would probably be a good idea for you to sort out some legal counsel which could make it alot more expensive but ive no idea how much more
when it comes to attorneys the cost is variable
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You need to start reading for yourself and not taking what your wife is saying as gospel truth, she has shown you she lies, she had friends call and pretend to be INS agents.
Adjustment of status page
http://www.cavanaughlegal.com/adjust...-fee-increase/
http://usimmigration.visapro.com/Adj...-of-Status.asp

Looks like it's just over $1000 but your case seems a bit more complicated you may want to make an appointment and talk with a real immigration attorney. You can always contact somewhere like Catholic charities they people who know.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:31 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

How much is it?
I'm sure someone will hop on here with the exact costs. I cannot remember the exact amounts but this is what I do remember. . . .We did ours 4 years ago, right before the price increase, and I paid my attorney $2000 for everything except the medical (which was about $300). Less than $1000 of that was for fees the other $1000 was for advice, making sure we had everything, sending everything, etc. and he went to the interview with us. If you do it yourself (which you probably do not want to do since you've overstayed), the cost would be much less.

I did all the paperwork for the hubs' 10-year card and he received it in record time without a second interview.

BUT, and this is a big but, we applied the first time before his overstay ran out and the second time as soon as he was eligible. You need to educate yourself on immigration and.........you may not be granted a green card even if you have $20,000.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

sorry , i just realised why the estimate i gave was so high, i was including the initial I-130 petition and CR1 visa and related costs as well as the AOS costs lol....oops , sorry

of course, that was still not including any attorneys fees you might have had....but as mummy said , its just over $1000 alone for the fee's not including any attorney costs if you got 1
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

When applying for the green card do I need a sponser/s?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.