Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

This one is interesting, adjusting from VWP as an overstayer
http://www.visalawyerblog.com/2011/0...d_marri_2.html

From what I have read, do NOT leave the country till you have adjusted status

http://www.cavanaughlegal.com/adjust...r-program-vwp/
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Joe B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
This one is interesting, adjusting from VWP as an overstayer
http://www.visalawyerblog.com/2011/0...d_marri_2.html

From what I have read, do NOT leave the country till you have adjusted status

http://www.cavanaughlegal.com/adjust...r-program-vwp/
I think I have a good case.

Thank you
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Joe, this is not the proper forum for advice on adjusting your status. If you really want to know what you need to get your green card, please post a new question on the Marriage-Based Visa forum. Because you have overstayed on the VWP, your case is infinitely more complex and the experts on that board can point in the right direction of where you need to start.

Saying that, from what I've read, you should seriously consider hiring a lawyer because your case is not straight-forward with a 4yr overstay. If you want any chance of being able to even legally come back and visit your children, even if you eventually move back to the UK, you need to get the green card sorted.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

essexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura about

Joe - There is another option to think about. How about just getting on a plane and going home? Sounds harsh huh, but I wonder if it has crossed your mind.

You gotta also think about your life and where you really want to see out the rest of your days. Can you live without her or the kids? I read here that your partner sounds like she does not give a s**t, maybe that's true or maybe not? I don't know. And you probably don't want to hear it as you have feelings for her, but the question is do you really want to stay with her and the kids or do you want to go home without her. Is maybe crying out that you want to go back to England really a cry of you want out of the relationship?

I'm sure people on here will disagree and say typical men or not being responsible, but is living with someone who you don't really love good for anyone, especially "just for the kids" sake.

I may be putting words into your mouth or ideas into your head, but you really need to look in the mirror and ask yourself the real reason you want to leave. Is it for you, for them or something else?

England is here now and will be when you are 6ft under. Life is short and complicated, but ultimately you need to do what is right for you as you don't get a second chance.

Last edited by essexnick; Sep 28th 2011 at 10:52 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

essexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Joe B
When I complained about not hearing from immigration my wife got one of her friends to call me pretending to be from immigration and they were taking care of everything.
Dude that's just messed up. I would have probably walked at that point. But you should have taken control of your own status and followed up. Not that it helps much now.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad that someone out there thinks of their children and their welfare above there own needs.

Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Several on here have mentioned that the solution is with a lawyer and before you go that route let me give you some advice.

I dealt with a lawyer a couple of years ago and I came away with the belief that when we were explaining our situation the lawyer was hardly listening he was figuring how much money he could get. After he asked a few courtesy questions he told us he would need a lot of money to start the ball rolling and then he would need a lot more money to keep the ball rolling.

My solution is find a emigration advocate who is good and could save your pocket. Kind of like getting a nurse instead of a doctor.

Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

My solution is find a emigration advocate who is good and could save your pocket. Kind of like getting a nurse instead of a doctor.

Cheers
Eh? An immigration 'advocate'? There's no such thing in the US, and if there is they are not trained to give you sound legal advice. An advocate cannot represent you at an AOS interview or a court appearance. Other countries may have advocates, but in the US a person calling themselves an advocate is out to take your money.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

I'm glad that someone out there thinks of their children and their welfare above there own needs.

Cheers
I only speak as someone who lived with 2 parents that should have broken up many years earlier. My childhood had many unhappy memories of arguing, fights and break ups. My mother later told me she only stayed with my Dad because of me and my brother. I wish they had not as it might have been a much better as it could not have got any worse.

But that does not mean that is the solution for everyone. And I have no kids to worry about so I can't really totally understand the whole picture. But all I can say is many people go through life doing what they think is expected of them and never live for themselves. Admirable in some eyes and tragic in others.

Regarding the Lawyer. I agree to get a fixed price before you agree to proceed. I paid about $3000.00 in London for a lawyer to get my 10 year green card. But I made sure that it was a fixed price or I would not deal. And it turned out well. The lawyer was worth the money and did it all in 6 months, which is fast considering most application take 8 to 12 months.
Problem then is you have to wait more years before you can become a US Citizen - which ideally you want to have if you ever decide to return back later down the road. So it looks like you either hang in the USA for 2 or 3 more years or go back now, knowing you wont ever come back to America and hope your wife follows. Ooh it's a tough one.

Last edited by essexnick; Sep 29th 2011 at 12:25 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:45 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

There is plenty of work if you are on the US illegally
As long as you're willing to do menial work for well below minimum wage and never get any days off.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:48 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Why are the totally rude and uncalled for posts made by DDL and SanDiegogirl not being deleted.
You have to ignore judgmental people. They can't help themselves and their issues are not your concern. But you do have to sort our your status as others have said. You have children to think of and they need you in their lives.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, and Joe, you will need to file the I-130 along with the I-485 Adjustment of Status paperwork. So you're going to be paying $420 plus $1070 just in filing fees. You have to file the I-130 because you entered on the VWP.

When applying for the green card do I need a sponser/s?
Yes. Your wife must be your sponsor. If she does not meet the financial requirements, then you can use a joint sponsor - a joint sponsor can be anyone that is over 18y/o and is either a USC or a green card holder. They must also meet the financial requirements for their household plus you.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 29th 2011 at 2:16 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Are you kidding!

Joe B. if you need more items to add to your list (and these would be at the top of my list) try: health care, politics, paranoia, control, control, control, no jobs, massive debt, bleak future. Go home! Why the h--l would anyone want to go back there (unless they are blind, deaf and dumb).
I lived in the States, now in Canada. NEVER will I ever go back there to live. It's traumatic enough to go there for a visit.
It sounds to me that there may be some jealousy on your wife's part about your family; likes to keep you where she has the control.
I can just imagine the responses I am going to get but this is honestly how I feel. There are moves afoot that are only going to make the US an even worse place to be.
I am quoting myself to clarify: when I said I would never go back there, you knew I meant the US right? Not UK... I'll hopefully be going back to the UK in the next year or so.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

thephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nice

Originally Posted by essexnick
Joe - There is another option to think about. How about just getting on a plane and going home? Sounds harsh huh, but I wonder if it has crossed your mind.

You gotta also think about your life and where you really want to see out the rest of your days. Can you live without her or the kids? I read here that your partner sounds like she does not give a s**t, maybe that's true or maybe not? I don't know. And you probably don't want to hear it as you have feelings for her, but the question is do you really want to stay with her and the kids or do you want to go home without her. Is maybe crying out that you want to go back to England really a cry of you want out of the relationship?

I'm sure people on here will disagree and say typical men or not being responsible, but is living with someone who you don't really love good for anyone, especially "just for the kids" sake.

I may be putting words into your mouth or ideas into your head, but you really need to look in the mirror and ask yourself the real reason you want to leave. Is it for you, for them or something else?

England is here now and will be when you are 6ft under. Life is short and complicated, but ultimately you need to do what is right for you as you don't get a second chance.
Not saying i Agree with doing one on your kids but this Woman sounds Like the bane of you life. But it also sounds like she wants you to be with her rather than without you, so maybe if you did come back to UK she might get the Kick up her bum that she probably needs. Plus if you can't Afford the fees i am surprised No one has mentioned That certain Catholic charity's maybe able to offer help.

in Ref to what essexnick said . Joe b must think about his health aswell. This dilemma can drive him in to a world of depression. This is coming from a man who has suffered from depression at the hands of a woman i almost died twice through suicide attempts.

Last edited by thephionex; Sep 29th 2011 at 10:55 am. Reason: Fixed grammar
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:57 am
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

If this were me, I would get my immigration sorted out first and foremost, otherwise you could risk not seeing your kids for a very long time and that in itself would kill me. Rather than both bicker and argue over who is right or wrong, those kids need you and love you both and need to be considered above anything else. They are so young and dependant on you both.
Coming from someone who has had foster kids in my home at the end of the day all kids need is parents that love them and do what is right by them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.