Heading Home

Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Munnsters Down Under is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Heading Home

Does anyone know what electrical items we can take back to the UK with us? Will our plasma tv work? Our Wii?
We have been here 4 months and plan to return middle of May. We have been unable to get our house sold back in the UK. Thankfully my hubby and daughter are Aussie citizens.

All comments welcome!

Munnsters Down Under
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:56 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading Home

Originally Posted by Munnsters Down Under
Does anyone know what electrical items we can take back to the UK with us? Will our plasma tv work? Our Wii?
We have been here 4 months and plan to return middle of May. We have been unable to get our house sold back in the UK. Thankfully my hubby and daughter are Aussie citizens.

All comments welcome!

Munnsters Down Under

Are you going back because you haven't sold your house Will you be planning to return to Australia?

Sorry, can't help with the electrical items just being nosy about why you are returning
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:25 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

HIYA,

think the plasma will be ok if it's a new model. They need a scart thingy at the back to be able to work in the Uk otherwise you'd get picture but no sound apparently. Check it out from one of the techno buffs in the Barbie - they're always very knowledgable about those things. Your main problem will be transportation of it. They need to be transported upright or else it causes problems like - they don't work after that! Dunno about your Wii as we don't have one of those.

Yeah - I also wanna know why your going back. Just coz I'm jelous AND nosy.

*pearly*
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Heading Home

That is the main reason. The other reason is my daughter, who is 7 as much as she is ok in school she has no friends outside of school. Everyone lives in their back gardens in Oz and very rarely, in fact I can say never (where we live) do you see any children playing in the street or cul-de-sac. It has been very hard for her and she left a country school with only 85 pupils in it to a school with 700 pupils. Plus the education system here is not of the high standard we have back in Northern Ireland. I could get good work in the City but I'm unable to do so as I would then have to get a childminder for my daughter. We feel isolated and bored. We lack the support and help from our family and friends when it comes to help to get out to work. My husband misses his football and as much as he loves his job we would need more funds to settle here and especially live closer to the City (Perth) to have more of a busy, easy accessible life. The beaches etc are lovely but its just doesnt make up for the fact of having already established lifelong friendships back home and families who need us. I have gone from a working (career) mother to a stay at home, cant go out because of the heat mother! Its not easy going back, in fact its going to be harder than coming out but we have no choice?

Whats your story?

Anyone else out there gone back home recently, I would love to hear from you.

Last edited by Munnsters Down Under; Feb 26th 2008 at 10:30 pm. Reason: add on
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

That is the main reason. The other reason is my daughter, who is 7 as much as she is ok in school she has no friends outside of school. Everyone lives in their back gardens in Oz and very rarely, in fact I can say never (where we live) do you see any children playing in the street or cul-de-sac. It has been very hard for her and she left a country school with only 85 pupils in it to a school with 700 pupils. Plus the education system here is not of the high standard we have back in Northern Ireland. I could get good work in the City but I'm unable to do so as I would then have to get a childminder for my daughter. We feel isolated and bored. We lack the support and help from our family and friends when it comes to help to get out to work. My husband misses his football and as much as he loves his job we would need more funds to settle here and especially live closer to the City (Perth) to have more of a busy, easy accessible life. The beaches etc are lovely but its just doesnt make up for the fact of having already established lifelong friendships back home and families who need us. I have gone from a working (career) mother to a stay at home, cant go out because of the heat mother! Its not easy going back, in fact its going to be harder than coming out but we have no choice?

Whats your story?

It sounds like you have thought this through and that you are making a decision with a clear mind.

For me the most salient point is when you said,

"...families who need us"

That's what I've decided life is all about.

Good luck and well done on making a brave decision.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:49 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Whats your story?

I really felt like you for ages. It has been a real struggle for me being here in Melbourne but for some time now I have been feeling a lot better. At about 4 months, homesickness really kicked in, I was thousands of miles away in a strange country, with very few friends getting through with only the support of some of my online buddies, husband furious with me, marriage going down the pan, young baby, missing family and support and good career dying before my eyes.

Now at a year, I have a fairly good job, more friends than I had at home, an outgoing son and a very happy marriage. I don't see a time when I will be going back too soon.

Why am I telling you this.....only to highlight how incredibly complex emigrating is and that we think too much about the material side, the lifestyle side and not enough about the emotional side. I think this is the most difficult thing a person can willingly do.

As totally strange as it may seem, you may yet change your mind.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

thanks Dave, sometimes it is good to hear that. Brave? - maybe, easy? - No!
I think its all bout regretting the things we don't do in this life not the things we do.
thanks again
MDU
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

No matter what we have to go home because of the house situation and if we decide to come back we can as my hubby and daughter are citizens so its open for us to return at anytime. When we go back and find that we cant settle we would still have to sell the house to find any sort of financial security possible to settle. Money eh? Put your head away!

Funny you should say that. Im feeling much more settled as I struggled for about 5 weeks after Christmas. I lost a very close friend whilst here at the start of Janurary that totally wreaked me. I'm enjoying the stress free side of things but I had a lot of things to deal with and coming here has let me do that and for that Im grateful.

No regrets eh?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:40 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

I think settling in oz all depends on the individuals situation - and none of us are that similar.

We sold a gorgeous house in the UK and brought the profit over here with us thinking we'd be able to buy a house and pay off half the mortgage.
However, outwith our control - the interest rates have risen FIVE times since we arrived here last March along with house prices continuing to escalate.
Before we came out we viewed houses on realestate.com.au for around $350k. Couldn't get a shed for that now!!
I believe that if we had been able to buy when we arrived, we'd have managed to be more settled but as it is, we are now moving onto our second rental and planning on buying a house back in the Uk to rent out until our return. We can get more for our money there and interest rates AND house prices are on the way down there again. Just feels like the common sense thing to do, and I feel happier for going with this decison.

We may have lost a few thousand quid in coming here but money is ALWAYS replacable and to be honest I'm happy with our time here. I passed my driving test here recently which is great and hubbie is just about to get promoted so we're doing fine - I just know that we will be going home next year, and that is what we're now working towards.

Who cares what anyone thinks of a persons decision to return home! They are not living the life you lead and we are mostly free to choose what our hearts desire if we're lucky enough.

*pearly*
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:46 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
I think settling in oz all depends on the individuals situation - and none of us are that similar.

We sold a gorgeous house in the UK and brought the profit over here with us thinking we'd be able to buy a house and pay off half the mortgage.
However, outwith our control - the interest rates have risen FIVE times since we arrived here last March along with house prices continuing to escalate.
Before we came out we viewed houses on realestate.com.au for around $350k. Couldn't get a shed for that now!!
I believe that if we had been able to buy when we arrived, we'd have managed to be more settled but as it is, we are now moving onto our second rental and planning on buying a house back in the Uk to rent out until our return. We can get more for our money there and interest rates AND house prices are on the way down there again. Just feels like the common sense thing to do, and I feel happier for going with this decison.

We may have lost a few thousand quid in coming here but money is ALWAYS replacable and to be honest I'm happy with our time here. I passed my driving test here recently which is great and hubbie is just about to get promoted so we're doing fine - I just know that we will be going home next year, and that is what we're now working towards.

Who cares what anyone thinks of a persons decision to return home! They are not living the life you lead and we are mostly free to choose what our hearts desire if we're lucky enough.

*pearly*

I agree with all of this Pearly. I am glad that you are making the decision that is right for you. It is a wonderous moment when clarity to stay or go hits!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe how many Northern Irish people there are around in BE
Just wanted to say hi and good luck with moving back. We have been in Canada for 8 years and plan to move back this year. Where are you moving back to? I'm from Larne originally.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:18 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
It sounds like you have thought this through and that you are making a decision with a clear mind.

For me the most salient point is when you said,

"...families who need us"

That's what I've decided life is all about.

Good luck and well done on making a brave decision.
I think this is the swaying point for me too. It's not that I want to live in their pockets, but to just have them on the outer rim of our lives would be fantastic. To share with them our children growing up as they are still so young, for them to be a part of our family circle and to be involved in special times, for me that is irreplaceable. Phone calls, web cams and e-mails do not replace direct contact in any way shape or form.

I know a lot of the Aussie lovers take the p*ss out of us 'Family Missers', but frankly, I don't give a damn. My family mean more to me than sunshine, a big house and the beach any day of the week.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:23 am
Just Joined

lukelizzie will become famous soon enoughlukelizzie will become famous soon enough

Whats your story?

We are going back too for very similar reasons and we have only been here 8 months. You know people will say you have not dont long enough. But how long is long enough? It did not take us long too decide its not for us. Reasons such as being outsider, kids no friends out of school, wife cant get job that easy, established friendships etc etc. As somebody said though you dont miss the water until the well runs dry. We dont regret doing it as we have scratched the itch we had. Biut its not for us. Thankfully our house sale fell through so we can move back to it. Its going to be costly moving back though I think.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:36 am
Just Joined

lukelizzie will become famous soon enoughlukelizzie will become famous soon enough

All comments welcome!

Munnsters Down Under
Sorry to be nosey. I have already replied stating we are also returning for similar reasons, however was interested to see husband and daughter were Aussie citizens. How come you got it so quick. Are you with Defence? or is hubby Aussie anyway.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Hello

My husband is from Sydenham East Belfast and Im from Comber but our home and house is in Ballygowan, do you know it?

Where is Canada are you? We have cusions who have just migrated and friends in the process. Cousions gone to Toronto and Friends going to Calgary.

Why are you guys coming home? Would love to hear as our friends going to Calgary would love to hear all about Canada.

MDU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.