Heading Home

Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Munnsters Down Under is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heading Home

Hiya

My hubby was born here along with his sister. His mum and dad came out around 1970 and stayed for 5 years then headed back home for 'family reasons' My daughter is a citizen by desent. Im the outsider!! Its weird having an Aussie hubby with a broad East Belfast accent!!

MDU
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:39 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to an island in the Uk about 4 years ago and knew within the first WEEK it wasn't for us. We did however manage to stay 2 and a half years. I think if your instincts prove you right once, you should always be more aware of them in the future.
Dunno how "costly" is costly but I think well under $8,000 should see all our housey stuff moved from Melbourne to Uk.

*me*
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I think this is the swaying point for me too. It's not that I want to live in their pockets, but to just have them on the outer rim of our lives would be fantastic. To share with them our children growing up as they are still so young, for them to be a part of our family circle and to be involved in special times, for me that is irreplaceable. Phone calls, web cams and e-mails do not replace direct contact in any way shape or form.

I know a lot of the Aussie lovers take the p*ss out of us 'Family Missers', but frankly, I don't give a damn. My family mean more to me than sunshine, a big house and the beach any day of the week.

Couldn't have said it better myself tracey!!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munnsters Down Under
Hello

My husband is from Sydenham East Belfast and Im from Comber but our home and house is in Ballygowan, do you know it?

Where is Canada are you? We have cusions who have just migrated and friends in the process. Cousions gone to Toronto and Friends going to Calgary.

Why are you guys coming home? Would love to hear as our friends going to Calgary would love to hear all about Canada.

MDU
Hi there

my brother just bought a little terrace house in East Belfast last year (Avoniel Road) I don't know the area but he says it's great. I don't know Comber and Ballygowan very well but I know it's a lovely part of the country, my OH (he's Canadian) lived in Downpatrick as a teenager.

We live in Toronto and it's not a bad place to live but with 2 little kids we feel it's time to move back and be closer to family, hopefully by September. We have been here 8 years and both our kids were born here. I've never been to Calgary but if your friends were to look at the Canada section of BE they'll find lots of information.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the swaying point for me too. It's not that I want to live in their pockets, but to just have them on the outer rim of our lives would be fantastic. To share with them our children growing up as they are still so young, for them to be a part of our family circle and to be involved in special times, for me that is irreplaceable. Phone calls, web cams and e-mails do not replace direct contact in any way shape or form.

I know a lot of the Aussie lovers take the p*ss out of us 'Family Missers', but frankly, I don't give a damn. My family mean more to me than sunshine, a big house and the beach any day of the week.
100% agree with everything you said here Tracey.....I could've said these very words myself!! I love my family to bits, but don't want to be round there every five minutes. Occasions like Christmas, birthdays, weddings, births....just being there, a drive away, makes up for this Expat lifestyle. It's made me realise that I am not a materialistic person at all....my big house, big truck, huge sunny skies and wide open spaces do not compare to the hugs and contact with your own blood.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your help and support. I have had a really bad day today to be honest. I think its really hit me the impact of coming out here and now heading home.

Anyone know the fasted way to get our belongings home?

MDU
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Hi

I know that area really well.

I have passed on the website to my friend so I hope she gets some help from it.

Are you looking forward to going home?

MDU
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:48 am
Just Joined

lukelizzie will become famous soon enoughlukelizzie will become famous soon enough

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your help and support. I have had a really bad day today to be honest. I think its really hit me the impact of coming out here and now heading home.

Anyone know the fasted way to get our belongings home?

MDU
We have got quotes from both a company called "Chess" and also Pickfords. We have got 43 cubic meters (quite a bit) and they quoted $12000 door to door. It takes about 8 weeks.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey I know excatly what you mean...I could buy our sons cars,jet skies...best mobiles etc but there is nothing that lights up my sons faces when they are with their families again...this has really hit home this week (our nephews are over on holiday..one to get married) it's their first visit to Aus...it is just wonderful to see my sons with their cousins....our boys are 17 & 14 their cousins 22 & 25....but they were always close...they use to babysit for us...and it's really funny to watch them as they have the same "actions"..tastes and humour...they even look a like...so yes you can have all the big homes and sun but that is not everything...especially when you hear them all laughing and joking around....all the tea in china cannot buy that!!! families.....they can be everything to some......so our boys they are!!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:21 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brits1
Tracey I know excatly what you mean...I could buy our sons cars,jet skies...best mobiles etc but there is nothing that lights up my sons faces when they are with their families again...this has really hit home this week (our nephews are over on holiday..one to get married) it's their first visit to Aus...it is just wonderful to see my sons with their cousins....our boys are 17 & 14 their cousins 22 & 25....but they were always close...they use to babysit for us...and it's really funny to watch them as they have the same "actions"..tastes and humour...they even look a like...so yes you can have all the big homes and sun but that is not everything...especially when you hear them all laughing and joking around....all the tea in china cannot buy that!!! families.....they can be everything to some......so our boys they are!!!!!
My feelings exactly. Bit different though, We are in Spain and took a trip to Scotland to see my parents in January. Seeing my 18 month old daughter with her 4 cousins and grandparents was fantastic. There are not many kids round us so she has to play on her own a lot of the time. Although we will move to England (if we ever decide to go) it will only be a car journey up north. My only worry is what we will do for work. Been away so long now i don`t know where to start.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
100% agree with everything you said here Tracey.....I could've said these very words myself!! I love my family to bits, but don't want to be round there every five minutes. Occasions like Christmas, birthdays, weddings, births....just being there, a drive away, makes up for this Expat lifestyle. It's made me realise that I am not a materialistic person at all....my big house, big truck, huge sunny skies and wide open spaces do not compare to the hugs and contact with your own blood.
Hi Ruby....glad to read your thread....we have our nephews over on holidays and it is just wonderful to have some family with us....our boys are really close to their cousins..so just seeing them together it good enough reason to head home...they are wonderful boys (22 & 25) from Stalybridge (I know) but have great jobs...lovely partners and really nice homes......so it can be done in "Tameside"!!!!!...it's been great for me as I know that all "youths" are not "crims" in the U.K and that they do have manners, education and are just all round decent people......but seeing them again just makes it better as with all the bad press etc you start to "believe" the U.K is going to the dogs!!! which is just not true......
Family a good one is wonderful....priceless
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CBANDY
My feelings exactly. Bit different though, We are in Spain and took a trip to Scotland to see my parents in January. Seeing my 18 month old daughter with her 4 cousins and grandparents was fantastic. There are not many kids round us so she has to play on her own a lot of the time. Although we will move to England (if we ever decide to go) it will only be a car journey up north. My only worry is what we will do for work. Been away so long now i don`t know where to start.
I know what you mean...we have been away from England for 10 years and I am worried but I know it's for the best for my family.................Good luck and best wishes with everything.....with young children I think these times are golden....there is nothing like Grandparents for children......
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:13 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

I know what you mean...we have been away from England for 10 years and I am worried but I know it's for the best for my family.................Good luck and best wishes with everything.....with young children I think these times are golden....there is nothing like Grandparents for children......
Thank you. I am sure we will get there soon.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

That is the main reason. The other reason is my daughter, who is 7 as much as she is ok in school she has no friends outside of school. Everyone lives in their back gardens in Oz and very rarely, in fact I can say never (where we live) do you see any children playing in the street or cul-de-sac. It has been very hard for her and she left a country school with only 85 pupils in it to a school with 700 pupils. Plus the education system here is not of the high standard we have back in Northern Ireland. I could get good work in the City but I'm unable to do so as I would then have to get a childminder for my daughter. We feel isolated and bored. We lack the support and help from our family and friends when it comes to help to get out to work. My husband misses his football and as much as he loves his job we would need more funds to settle here and especially live closer to the City (Perth) to have more of a busy, easy accessible life. The beaches etc are lovely but its just doesnt make up for the fact of having already established lifelong friendships back home and families who need us. I have gone from a working (career) mother to a stay at home, cant go out because of the heat mother! Its not easy going back, in fact its going to be harder than coming out but we have no choice?

Whats your story?

Anyone else out there gone back home recently, I would love to hear from you.
I do sympathise with you.
Not gone yet, but putting it all into play now, I only wish that we hadn't sold our house, would be much easier.... we are going to Norfolk, where the in laws live! 6 months has gone quick, but slow! Very wierd feeling, like in limbo....waiting to go back to your life but slowly being hypnotized by your "new life".
My boys are both at school, 5 & 10. The 10 year old had a few problems to start with, missing everyone he's grown up with, also was in a 700+ primary, now in a much smaller one. He felt lost in the large one. Very daunting when they are used to small village school.

The little one just started prep, but is actually finding it hard as the most of the class are 6yrs old , and only ever been at kindy. Ellis had already done Nursery in the uk, and is actually really ahead of them, academically and socially. They can't put him up a year as he would be with 7 year olds.
I find that the education system is very erratic, and they seem to just brush over subjects, also the level of English is really poor. Even the teachers can't spell, and have not corrected my 10 year olds work where the mistakes are obvious!! Also fed up with the continuous strikes.....they earn pretty good salaries here, and most have lessons already planned. 3 strikes in as many months!!

My husband has found work as a plumber (heating engineer in uk) really mind numbing. Also feels he cannot justify the huge drop in salary, although he has to work harder. I guess it comes down to, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, he is 41 and has 25 years experience, and wants to improve what he sees although we know that is not how to get on out here, they are already happy with their methods, so he has kept his mouth shut....

I miss myself more than anything or anyone else. I really felt that we were strong enough to do this, very independent person...just feel like a fish out of water.

With regards to Wii(consoles are universal...) and TV should the relo co not tel you? We are in same situation, hubby's beloved tv and kids Wii....hoping crown will tell me that! The tv we brought out here didn't work as the sound waves are different, but it was an old one. I'm hoping the newer ones are ok....maybe I should read the bloody instruction book!
Good luck with your move, I hope you had some fun while you've been here.
x Kel
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Priceless xxxxxx
can't wait to reunite kids when we get back, my eldest misses his cousin they are both 10, like he's been in mourning. He is so happy were going back....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.