Heading Home

Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading Home

Originally Posted by Munnsters Down Under
Oh pet you need a wee mate and a bit of adult conversation......where are you?

J
I'm in Toronto. Sometimes even having a conversation is difficult with a certain little boy talking a mile a minute about dinosaurs Thank goodness for the computer and BE
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Munnsters Down Under is an unknown quantity at this point

My cousion is a Minister in Toronto (he runs a camp called Maskoka Woods) and my OH cousion has just moved out there in Jan and her husband is away a lot, 3 weeks at a time. She has 2 kids.

My mum and dad (my dad died 3 years ago) where married in Toronto in 1954 and lived there for a about 5 years. They loved it.

How long are you there and have you met many friends? Are you from Norn Iron?

J
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

My cousion is a Minister in Toronto (he runs a camp called Maskoka Woods) and my OH cousion has just moved out there in Jan and her husband is away a lot, 3 weeks at a time. She has 2 kids.

My mum and dad (my dad died 3 years ago) where married in Toronto in 1954 and lived there for a about 5 years. They loved it.

How long are you there and have you met many friends? Are you from Norn Iron?

J
Yes I'm from Norn Iron (Larne). I've been here just over 8 years so I do have a few friends around but with the way the weather has been this winter everyone is in hibernation mode so things are extra quiet at the minute. We hope to move back "home" this year. Toronto has it's good points but it will never be home.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:43 am
Just Joined

The Removal Guys are packing the lorry up right now!! I think Im ready to cry! As much as I want and need to go home because our house isnt sold Im feeling rather sad about it not working out. We dont leave until May, but the rental we are in now looks like a squat!! TV borrowed sitting on a chair!! Its such a big house too.

Whatever will be will be eh?

j
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

The Removal Guys are packing the lorry up right now!! I think Im ready to cry! As much as I want and need to go home because our house isnt sold Im feeling rather sad about it not working out. We dont leave until May, but the rental we are in now looks like a squat!! TV borrowed sitting on a chair!! Its such a big house too.

j
I think when it does come time to leave I may shed a tear or two as well there are so many emotions to deal with. Try and enjoy your last few weeks in OZ and try not to hang around that big empty house too much.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
If you are stopping in Dubai try the Le Meridien Dubai...not to far from the airport but it has a lovely outdoor entertaining area with a PUB!! and really good for the children (my husband use to work in Dubai) try the "Sundowner" it's really good.....you go into the desert in a 4 wheel they drive you over the dunes (a bit like a fun fair ride....it's up and down the dunes...and great fun) then the meal afterwards with "belly dancing" etc is just well worth it.....also Wild Wadi is a nice way to keep cool and has some good rides for the children....and ofcourse there are some great shopping malls but our boys love going to the Emirates one as they go Snow boarding there......good luck and I am sure you dog will be fine.....we left our dog for 2 months last year when we went back to Europe and I worried about her but she was fine...really fine......
Take care

Thanks hun! I will check it out. Really looking forward to stopping in Dubai and having a rest before facing the music of sorting our lives out...again...I feel like I've been doing it forever!!

Just had another blow from the relo company.....apparently we have to pay VAT on anything we bought over here.......Grrrrr.........thats basically all our furniture and white goods as we left all the old stuff in uk......never bloody easy is it! Asked them to find a way around it, fingers crossed!

I'm trying to stay positive about my dog, and I'm sure with a weekly visit she will get through it. Just seems so long
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

j
keep smiling, you're on your way.....or your stuff is anyway!! At least it will be there when you get back. I know what you mean about crying, I've done plenty of that, for the life we left behind, the one we are leaving here, and the one that was in my dreams and not worked out. Quite sad isn't it? I only wish things could be different but there are too many things that aren't right. The distance from out family and friends comes out top everytime, nothing would ever change that. The other is the financial situation I am still doing tatts lotto until we go though, as then we could have a place here and there!!!

You should try and do as much as you can in your time left here as when you get back you will probably wish you had while you were here.

Thinking of youxxxxxKel
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe38
we came back end of may 2007 , we were in Australia for 5 months the work situating was so poor .Well looking back we wished we tried more ,we came back to uk starting all over again which was a struggle ,lots of brits do leave Australia then return again. I would try again but not sell my house ,it is a better place to bring up kids

just wondering if you are planning to come back to oz......i'm not even back yet but already thinking about will we ever return.....seems so final to leave here, but with no work available we aren't really in a good situation to stay. Our house money is running out fast. Even when my OH is working, we find the cost of living against the dollar very expensive. Food petrol and utility bills compared to what he was earning leaves us with nothing spare, and we were continually dipping into savings, just to live.

What do you think Australia offers youngsters better than the uk? I have since being here read and heard of the same youth culture(drinking, drugs, joy riding etc) developing over here too. Unless your children are into surfing or sports there is no more here than uk. No local youth clubs to keep them off the streets here. Education system is pretty poor too, so much so 40% of Australians putting their children in private education. This isn't classed as a luxury but as a neccessity as they feel that state schools are failing. The figures on high academic achievement published and shown to the rest of the world don't tell you that these children are mostly in private schools.

I was lucky enough to get a grammar education in the uk(for free!), which over here would cost at least $25k a year. Well when you have two children to put through school, that is an enormous amount of pressure. I think that you get a comparable education to the private schools in the comprehensives in the uk, if in a good area.

Just curious!!!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jojosan
Hey, you're almost on the same timescale as us then (fingers crossed!). We were going end August, and now decided end April if can get all sorted - we thought if we're going anyway, why wait when can get back into UK spring etc etc.

It is so nerve wracking, all the things to sort out and hoping nothing goes pear shaped.....

pear shaped seems our favorite at the moment!! Just been hit with the fact we have to pay vat in uk for all our new furniture and white goods.....bloody england!!! We were going to wait until july but with no work, no money coming in, we are better off getting home and some cash coming in, otherwise we will have no money left from deposit!!!

Also will be good for boys to do a term of school to catch up on the year if necessary before starting new school year in September.

Dog's having blood test next week and we will leave here beginning april. Bit sad it's not worked out here, excited to get back though with fresh eyes, and a new found patriotism!!

Who are you flying with? All so flipping expensive from here.....also not looking forward to the 20k baggage allowance, going to try and butter up the airline!

good luck with all you plans!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
pear shaped seems our favorite at the moment!! Just been hit with the fact we have to pay vat in uk for all our new furniture and white goods.....bloody england!!! We were going to wait until july but with no work, no money coming in, we are better off getting home and some cash coming in, otherwise we will have no money left from deposit!!!

Also will be good for boys to do a term of school to catch up on the year if necessary before starting new school year in September.

Dog's having blood test next week and we will leave here beginning april. Bit sad it's not worked out here, excited to get back though with fresh eyes, and a new found patriotism!!

Who are you flying with? All so flipping expensive from here.....also not looking forward to the 20k baggage allowance, going to try and butter up the airline!

good luck with all you plans!
Ta Kel! Agree with you on the schools thing. I think our youngest in particular (aged 6) could do with a refresher before year 2 in September. Have not been at all impressed with her schooling here (personal opinion and all that, but in comparison to what we left, and are going back to).

We're flying with Malaysia and KLM, as having a stop over in Amsterdam too - anything to avoid going into Heathrow!

Who told you about the tax thing? You paid tax when you bought the goods here though. I don't get that. We haven't been told anything... We've only got a few new things here, but big things such as TV, F/F, washing m/c and computer....

Good luck to you too!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 4:50 am
Just Joined

How long have you been in Oz? What are your reasons for going home?

I agree with the school thing too. I have 1 daughter 7and half and she was top of her class in a wee country school with only 85 in total in the school. She is now in a school with 700 pupils, homework not checked, teacher always forgets, different teacher some days....no routine at all. The education system is wick!!

We go middle may. Toying with the idea of going to Sydney or Brisnbane on way home, feel should do something while here, dont know if we will come back. never say never....Im a bit sad though!! Scared too!!

J
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Munnsters Down Under;5994414]You'll be fine. Coming home at a good time, house prices down so thats good. Education system is excellent and Shopping is great. You wont recognise Belfast, its the best city ever.

The new "Victoria Square" opened yesterday after taking 6 years to complete so you will be able to enjoy shopping even more now in Belfast Didn't go myself, will wait until all the hype has died down before visiting. Also Ikea opened in Holywood exchange just before christmas.

Lynn xx
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=the4ofus;6030211]
You'll be fine. Coming home at a good time, house prices down so thats good. Education system is excellent and Shopping is great. You wont recognise Belfast, its the best city ever.

The new "Victoria Square" opened yesterday after taking 6 years to complete so you will be able to enjoy shopping even more now in Belfast Didn't go myself, will wait until all the hype has died down before visiting. Also Ikea opened in Holywood exchange just before christmas.

Lynn xx
I was home in December and it was so funny seeing the news reports about Ikea opening it was as if they were expecting a riot

It was great to see how Belfast has improved over the years.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jojosan
Ta Kel! Agree with you on the schools thing. I think our youngest in particular (aged 6) could do with a refresher before year 2 in September. Have not been at all impressed with her schooling here (personal opinion and all that, but in comparison to what we left, and are going back to).

We're flying with Malaysia and KLM, as having a stop over in Amsterdam too - anything to avoid going into Heathrow!

Who told you about the tax thing? You paid tax when you bought the goods here though. I don't get that. We haven't been told anything... We've only got a few new things here, but big things such as TV, F/F, washing m/c and computer....

Good luck to you too!

been off BE for ages, sorry not replied before. UK custom forms tell you about vaT ETC. if you are returning within a year or if stuff is less than 6 months old....got us over a bloody barrel. Do not know how much it will be exactly but we have had to declare everything, better than having the book thrown at us!! Not a good start to our patriotic return!!
I'm hoping that they will go easy on us, since we are coming back to UK, and will obviously contribute to the economy again!! Fingers crossed!!!

We are flying to Thailand with Jet star to meet my uncle, staying there for a few days, then flying emirates to dubai for a few days then emirates home. This has worked out less than going straight back with BA or qantas, and we will get a mini holiday before we get back to real life!!!

Can't wait to get the boys back in uk system, they have become very mushy over here!!!

I can't wait to go to Sainsburys and tesco!!! Saddo aren't I?!!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
been off BE for ages, sorry not replied before. UK custom forms tell you about vaT ETC. if you are returning within a year or if stuff is less than 6 months old....got us over a bloody barrel. Do not know how much it will be exactly but we have had to declare everything, better than having the book thrown at us!! Not a good start to our patriotic return!!
I'm hoping that they will go easy on us, since we are coming back to UK, and will obviously contribute to the economy again!! Fingers crossed!!!

We are flying to Thailand with Jet star to meet my uncle, staying there for a few days, then flying emirates to dubai for a few days then emirates home. This has worked out less than going straight back with BA or qantas, and we will get a mini holiday before we get back to real life!!!

Can't wait to get the boys back in uk system, they have become very mushy over here!!!

I can't wait to go to Sainsburys and tesco!!! Saddo aren't I?!!!
Sorry to hear they are going to sting you! cant you say you brought it all out with you or most of it with you? just a thought.
Flight option sounds good as they are so expensive, Mine are even more so as I have to get of Tassie first to either Melbourne or Sydney before we can even start our journey!! OMG do I miss Tescos, get us a cheap ready roast chicken and some decent deodrant!!! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.