Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Edible delights you miss or will end up missing...

Edible delights you miss or will end up missing...

Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:43 am
Just Joined

nr8209 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Edible delights you miss or will end up missing...

Originally Posted by lisa67
becareful....oxo is a meat product and therefore isn't allowed to be brought in (sorry to be a party pooper!)
I can second this - I had my beef and lamb oxo taken off me in ATL last week. They were OK with the chicken one though. He said there are some approved oxo's that can be bought here. Any outlets anyone has?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 7:03 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nr8209
I can second this - I had my beef and lamb oxo taken off me in ATL last week. They were OK with the chicken one though. He said there are some approved oxo's that can be bought here. Any outlets anyone has?
Some Publix supermarkets in Atlanta have a British section, and they sell the beef Oxo's. The trick to bringing Oxo's in is to put in your baggage that goes in the hold. Wrap it in tin foil.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
Some of this stuff you can get but is hugely expensive:

Pot Noodle curry flavour
Choccy Digestives
Angels Delight
Roses chocs
Squash drinks
Malt Loaf
Heinz Mulligatawny Soup
Toast Toppers
Lamb Roasts and mint sauce
Decent Bread
Self Raising Flour
Pickled Onions
Cheese and Onion Crisps
Mr Kipling
Fish and Chips
Good Curry
Decent Chinese Chow Mein
Breakfast Sausages
Tinned Mackeral and sardines
Meat Pies
Cornish Pasties
Cussons Imperial Leather Light Soap

I'm sure there is more
sardines, true they are expensive in regular stores but if you have a hispanic shop nearby they often sell sardines of various brands stacked high for around $1.80-$2.20 for a big 14oz can. some brands better than others ive tried quite a few, i like the polar brand, the fish is nice and firm even though they are a bit big and 'finny'.

cornish pasties, i use 50/50 butter and that horrid lard to be bought here but its possible to make a pastie as good as any in the UK.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

sausages, for those in driving distance of elburn Il west of chicago try elburn market on main street, they do an excellent all natural brit banger, none of those weird preservatives in either and the home made ham is excellent too. the banger is pretty much pork, bread crumbs, spices, salt, parsley, in a sheep casing.

recommended.

tea, try trader joes irish breakfast.

Last edited by bugman; Nov 16th 2009 at 6:47 am. Reason: adding info.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
1.Lancashire Cheese
2.Black Pudding
3.Steak and Kidney Pudding
4.Salt and Vinegar Hula Hoops
5.Chicken and Mushroom Pot Noodle
6.Bartons Piccalilli
7.Friday night supper from the chippy
I simply make my own S&K pudding, i use atora vegetable suet and a local butcher here can supply me with really fresh beef kidney to order, and funnily enough i have some bartons here, i just bring in a couple of jars each time i visit. actualy teh same butcher selles blocks of suet so i could get some iof teh real stuff and just grate it myself.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chatsworth
Biscuits
Thorntons
Dairy products that taste good (cheese, butter, cream, yoghurt, etc)
Yorkshire Gold
Pickled onions
Branstons
Lamb chops

our local whole foods has yorkshire gold.
cream, nightmare, but check out my posts on making some really good cream, just takes a bit of patience.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
What was that squeezy cheese in the yellow toothpaste tube? Came out in a fancy ribbed pattern? And with ham or prawns flavour? mmmmmm
uuugh, I know the stuff, primula right? thats like something you'd get here. I'll admit though, that on ritz crakers so reminds me of being a kid and munching on those 1970's new years eve buffets!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:57 am
Just Joined

nr8209 is an unknown quantity at this point

The kind gentleman in CBP Atlanta told me suet wasa big no no. Is Atora available locally? How come some of these items are on sale in the US yet we're not supposed to bring em in?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scotia123
I seriously miss a curry.....tried several places here and they are just not the same....mostly thin and tasteless...yuck!!....my son brought back Marmite (3 Huge squeezy bottles) in July, and my sister brought back from Scotland potato scones, shortbread, macaroon bars, and Thorntons toffee....so I am happy for awhile.
the 'Uk style' curries are pretty amazing but they can be made at home you know!!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

The kind gentleman in CBP Atlanta told me suet wasa big no no. Is Atora available locally? How come some of these items are on sale in the US yet we're not supposed to bring em in?
i bring in the vegetarian atora 4 packs lasts a year for me in freezer, its got no animal product in.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly Tracym gave instructions for making suet a year or so ago. It's in the recipe thread in The Lounge...use the search engine at the top of the thread...go to Advanced Search and search for 'suet'.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

one sweet thing i do miss are tunnocks teacakes (actually a big round marshmallow type biscuit) and their delicious caramel wafer bars. still, i'd only eat them once every couple of years so not really a hardship.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If I remember correctly Tracym gave instructions for making suet a year or so ago. It's in the recipe thread in The Lounge...use the search engine at the top of the thread...go to Advanced Search and search for 'suet'.
I made suet last year for mince pies. I got a load of the thick beef fat from the meat counter at Publix (it was free), put it in a pan on a low heat for an hour, sieved the scraps out, let it cool and that was it.

I have no idea if that's the correct way but the mince pies were excellent!

Last edited by anotherlimey; Nov 16th 2009 at 7:16 am.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I made suet last year for mince pies. I got a load of the thick beef fat from the meat counter at Publix (it was free), put it in a pan on a low heat for an hour, sieved the scraps out, let it cool and that was it.

I have no idea if that's the correct way but the mince pies were excellent!
a local store sells the actual fat from round the organs, its in the meat dept, but labelled as 'for the birds' i wonder if its best to render it first then grate or simply grate, i suppose rendering allows you to get rid of membranes, veins etc first (like what you did)
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the posts from the recipe thread discussing suet....posts #1253 onwards.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...et#post5615948

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.