Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Edible delights you miss or will end up missing...

Edible delights you miss or will end up missing...

Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Edible delights you miss or will end up missing...

Firstly let me say that although the hour is late, I am not intoxicated. I can appreciate that it may seem that way ... let me explain.

I'm sitting here eating the last few fizzy blue and pink bottle-shaped sweets that I had in my cupboard and I've just realised that I will not be able to go without these little pieces of sugar-candy delight when I eventually move across to the grand old U S of A.

So what I would like to know (because a) I'm nosy and b) I have far too much time on my hands) is, what do you miss the most or what will you miss once you move? Alternatively are there items in the USA that you miss while you're here? For me, I miss Kashi cereal - love it and you can't buy in the UK.

Fellow forum members... the floor is yours
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edible delights you miss or will end up missing...

well..as far as sweets go, I can get pretty much all the decent chocolate I want, ok so I have to pay a price for it but sometimes you just have to have that Cadburys fix. Miss galaxy though.
I miss Mr. Kiplings cakes...fondant fancies, country slices, bakewell tarts...
Can't think of anything else that I really miss that i can't get.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

sausages.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

Some of this stuff you can get but is hugely expensive:

Pot Noodle curry flavour
Choccy Digestives
Angels Delight
Roses chocs
Squash drinks
Malt Loaf
Heinz Mulligatawny Soup
Toast Toppers
Lamb Roasts and mint sauce
Decent Bread
Self Raising Flour
Pickled Onions
Cheese and Onion Crisps
Mr Kipling
Fish and Chips
Good Curry
Decent Chinese Chow Mein
Breakfast Sausages
Tinned Mackeral and sardines
Meat Pies
Cornish Pasties
Cussons Imperial Leather Light Soap

I'm sure there is more
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that I've missed certain things a lot, and then when I go home and have them again they are never as good as I remember.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sausages
Bacon
Bread not filled with sugar
Salad cream
Ribena
Proper cream cakes
double cream
Theres loads more.

I think we can get those sweets you mention, blue and pink sugar sprinkled little soda bottle shaped thingies. They sell them in the bulk section in Winco grocery stores. My boys like them, Yuck.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Sausages and bread definitely! I agree that there lots of things that you can get but you pay through the nose for (and often they are not made in quite the same way). Cadburys chocolate doesn't seem to be quite the same but my sweet tooth will take pretty much anything.

I read a very interesting thread once about how to make clotted cream. Scones, jam and clotted cream... yummy!

Sausages - I love them - I've found that I quite like the sweet Italian versions in the US and also Brats but they aren't quite the same. My fiance has been to the UK quite a bit and he loves sausages and mash. We spend a lot of our time trying to find the perfect banger!

I try and make my own bread but I've found that even that is different - I quite like some of the bread - Pepperidge Farms isn't too bad.

Gravy - that's one thing that I've found quite hard to make. In the UK we have gravy powder or granules but in the US I've not yet managed to find gravy powder. You can of course get it in tins, get little packets that make about a cup of gravy but I'm amazed that Bisto hasn't made it over there.

Right - it's time for me to put some coffee on which I can safely say, is great no matter where you are.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk
Sausages and bread definitely! I agree that there lots of things that you can get but you pay through the nose for (and often they are not made in quite the same way). Cadburys chocolate doesn't seem to be quite the same but my sweet tooth will take pretty much anything.

I read a very interesting thread once about how to make clotted cream. Scones, jam and clotted cream... yummy!

Sausages - I love them - I've found that I quite like the sweet Italian versions in the US and also Brats but they aren't quite the same. My fiance has been to the UK quite a bit and he loves sausages and mash. We spend a lot of our time trying to find the perfect banger!

I try and make my own bread but I've found that even that is different - I quite like some of the bread - Pepperidge Farms isn't too bad.

Gravy - that's one thing that I've found quite hard to make. In the UK we have gravy powder or granules but in the US I've not yet managed to find gravy powder. You can of course get it in tins, get little packets that make about a cup of gravy but I'm amazed that Bisto hasn't made it over there.

Right - it's time for me to put some coffee on which I can safely say, is great no matter where you are.
I only buy the imported cadbury's....anything else just isn't the same!
I can get pretty good British sausages at my local Central Market
(I found imported after eights in my local Mom and Pop supermarket yesterday!)
The longer I'm here though, the less is bothers me and my Mum keeps me well stocked in tea bags when she visits (cheaper than amazon.com!)
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
I only buy the imported cadbury's....anything else just isn't the same!
I can get pretty good British sausages at my local Central Market
(I found imported after eights in my local Mom and Pop supermarket yesterday!)
The longer I'm here though, the less is bothers me and my Mum keeps me well stocked in tea bags when she visits (cheaper than amazon.com!)
Oh gosh! How could I have forgotten about tea! My fiance likes Liptons but I'm a PG tips girl myself... friends have promised to send me regular care packages of tea once I've moved...
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:01 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You can find PGtips at CVS drug store. $5.99 for a pack of 80. Sounds like a lot, but cheaper than getting them mailed. They are $7.99 for the same pack at Safeway here.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:22 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

I have found I can find most things, our local QFC is starting to stock quite a few English items, although at a price - Heinz Beans and Marmite to name a few off the top of my head.

The thing I miss the most is PASTRY items, mainly cheap pastry items from Greggs Bakery Ham and Cheese pasty and OMG Sausage Rolls.

We were talking about this at work as I just went to Canada for the weekend and was so happy to eat a meat pie - yum yum, there is definately a lack of decent pastry items here!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
I have found I can find most things, our local QFC is starting to stock quite a few English items, although at a price - Heinz Beans and Marmite to name a few off the top of my head.

The thing I miss the most is PASTRY items, mainly cheap pastry items from Greggs Bakery Ham and Cheese pasty and OMG Sausage Rolls.

We were talking about this at work as I just went to Canada for the weekend and was so happy to eat a meat pie - yum yum, there is definately a lack of decent pastry items here!

I miss Soreen malt loaf - I haven't found a source yet for that over here
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helwardman
that always on my list for my Mum to bring over!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:53 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
More Soreen Doreen??????
I like it but I don't miss it!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Burn1911
More Soreen Doreen??????
I like it but I don't miss it!
oo I miss it..my Mum tries her hardest to get it here without it turning up as flat as a f@rt!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.