British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Christians get on my tits (at work) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/christians-get-my-tits-work-460845/)

Sally Jun 27th 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Christians get on my tits (at work)

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4978926)
I was just agreeing with your statement? No point.

Oh OK then.

Silly Sod Jun 27th 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 4978014)
You don't need to explain. A mere comparison of the styles suffices to differentiate. To say nothing of the content.....

True. But If I didn't say so the missus would be super pissed :)

Elvira Jun 27th 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4979034)
True. But If I didn't say so the missus would be super pissed :)

And who can blame her! :p

:)

Silly Sod Jun 27th 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4978047)
When you consider that many of the foreign tourists go to the UK to explore the the old country churches, the cathedrals and abbeys, it makes you wonder why they would be bolted shut, vandalised and demolished. Shame really.

Well, I am not talking about 11th century churches in Cornwall or The Cotswalds here, I am talking about 16th century churches in deepest darkest inner city Manchester. Not many tourists stop where I grew up, though a close friend of Lady Di did ask directions a few years ago and had her handbag stolen from her Discovery. Oh, how we did larf :)

Mallory Jun 27th 2007 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4979046)
Well, I am not talking about 11th century churches in Cornwall or The Cotswalds here, I am talking about 16th century churches in deepest darkest inner city Manchester. Not many tourists stop where I grew up, though a close friend of Lady Di did ask directions a few years ago and had her handbag stolen from her Discovery. Oh, how we did larf :)

Yes, I know what you are saying. I feel that a church should be sacrosanct, and that children should be brought up to know this. Something is going very wrong these days.

I grew up away from the big cities, and when I go back I spend most of my time in Glos and Cornwall, the areas of the country that you mentioned. I have never been to Manchester.

Here is where my parents are buried (church has been sold).

http://www.boba-beachley.org.uk/echo...10-may2004.pdf

Here is the local C/E church, school, and church cottage where I lived in my childhood. It is 1/4 mile from my childhood home. Yes, JKR went to my school. Spooky! She lived in that cottage, and one of the boys in my class lived there before she did.

http://home.freeuk.net/webbuk2/harrypotter.htm

Silly Sod Jun 28th 2007 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4980328)
Yes, I know what you are saying. I feel that a church should be sacrosanct, and that children should be brought up to know this. Something is going very wrong these days.

I grew up away from the big cities, and when I go back I spend most of my time in Glos and Cornwall, the areas of the country that you mentioned. I have never been to Manchester.

Here is where my parents are buried (church has been sold).

http://www.boba-beachley.org.uk/echo...10-may2004.pdf

Here is the local C/E church, school, and church cottage where I lived in my childhood. It is 1/4 mile from my childhood home. Yes, JKR went to my school. Spooky! She lived in that cottage, and one of the boys in my class lived there before she did.

http://home.freeuk.net/webbuk2/harrypotter.htm

It's very pretty. I went to a nice one years ago in cornwall - not to worship, I am not much of a believer I'm afraid. I can;t remember where it was but it was maybe 11th century and right on a cliff edge - erosion may have seen it off by now for all I know. Anyway, it was called St Jennys and I have never forgotten it. I was amazed because it was open and there was nobody at all there, not even a vicar or anything and there was money lying around. I mean, you could take a souvineer and just leave the money on a plate. I didn't steal the money of course but when I got home, if anybody asked, I always swore I did ha ha. Erm....it was that kind of neighbourhood :)

Mallory Jun 28th 2007 7:03 am

That's a nice story. I love Cornwall.

My grandparents are buried in that graveyard too, and I used to go there as a child to put flowers on the grave with my mum. It was usually knee deep in grass, brambles, etc. Over the wall, between the church and the Army camp, was a cemetery for German POW. Grass all manicured and beautiful, looked like it had been trimmed with a pair of scissors.

Adnams Jun 28th 2007 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4982376)
That's a nice story. I love Cornwall.

My grandparents are buried in that graveyard too, and I used to go there as a child to put flowers on the grave with my mum. It was usually knee deep in grass, brambles, etc. Over the wall, between the church and the Army camp, was a cemetery for German POW. Grass all manicured and beautiful, looked like it had been trimmed with a pair of scissors.

The most amazing Church I have ever been to was in a really sh*tty part of Northhampton, all around it were vile 1960's shopping developments but it stood there proudly. Most of the nave was Saxon it was very beautiful and moving.
Shame it was no longer used and there were a fair few people sleeping rough in and around it and Mum would have to go and befriend a smack head who was only after a bit of cash but she wouldnt believe me.... :blink:.

I agree with you on the sacrosanct.
</IMG>

Silly Sod Jun 28th 2007 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 4983017)
The most amazing Church I have ever been to was in a really sh*tty part of Northhampton, all around it were vile 1960's shopping developments but it stood there proudly. Most of the nave was Saxon it was very beautiful and moving.
Shame it was no longer used and there were a fair few people sleeping rough in and around it and Mum would have to go and befriend a smack head who was only after a bit of cash but she wouldnt believe me.... :blink:.

I agree with you on the sacrosanct.
</IMG>

Amazing!! Where me and my USC wife lived in Salford there was a church next to a pub surrounded by other pubs and cheap crappy freezerland type shops. It was in part of Salford, Greater Mnchester, called Eccles; yes, where Eccles Cakes were born. Anyhoo, I had walked past this church on my way to the pub next door a hundred thousand times or so and never noticed it. It was just a church with graffittii and never open even on a sunday (at least not by the time I got to the pub at 1.00pm). My american wife, with her usual american curiosity for all things older than two weeks, read the stonework and was amazed to find that this building, in the middle of a shitty 'hood', was actually almost 900 years old. So, just shows you really. Nosey bleedin americans :)

Adnams Jun 28th 2007 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4983707)
Amazing!! Where me and my USC wife lived in Salford there was a church next to a pub surrounded by other pubs and cheap crappy freezerland type shops. It was in part of Salford, Greater Mnchester, called Eccles; yes, where Eccles Cakes were born. Anyhoo, I had walked past this church on my way to the pub next door a hundred thousand times or so and never noticed it. It was just a church with graffittii and never open even on a sunday (at least not by the time I got to the pub at 1.00pm). My american wife, with her usual american curiosity for all things older than two weeks, read the stonework and was amazed to find that this building, in the middle of a shitty 'hood', was actually almost 900 years old. So, just shows you really. Nosey bleedin americans :)

Thats why we love Blighty, all that history right there under our noses. Its like Lincoln, on the high street there are remains of Roman pillars right there in the road and the roman archway still stands that was party of the city walls. Any they're well over 900 years old! Makes one feel pround 'eh!
Unlinke this bomb thing in London last night that really get my goat to put it politely.

Silly Sod Jun 29th 2007 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 4984899)
Unlinke this bomb thing in London last night that really get my goat to put it politely.

And possibly another one in cheshire!!

Adnams Jun 29th 2007 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4985261)
And possibly another one in cheshire!!

Really I havent heard that and I've had BBC radio four on since I got up at 6am est???

ironporer Jun 30th 2007 7:04 am

Not to quibble or look for a fight...but it seems to me that your grudge is against HYPOCRITES or perhaps hypocritical church goers. Not really fair to paint all Christians with the same broad brush.

cindyabs Jun 30th 2007 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 4991067)
Not to quibble or look for a fight...but it seems to me that your grudge is against HYPOCRITES or perhaps hypocritical church goers. Not really fair to paint all Christians with the same broad brush.

Yes indeed hypocrites, :mad: Seems often the more they blat the more they have to hide.

TouristTrap Jun 30th 2007 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 4991870)
Yes indeed hypocrites, :mad: Seems often the more they blat the more they have to hide.

Agreed.