British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Christians get on my tits (at work) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/christians-get-my-tits-work-460845/)

katesbackagain Jun 25th 2007 3:07 am

Re: Christians get on my tits (at work)

Hey, I sympathize!

In the UK, I worked in a restaurant with my cousin, and this place was a lil bit of a wannabe toff joint. It was quite posh, but most of the time, the customers themselves were very nice and I could have a laugh with them. I was never rude, but the manageress seemed to have a problem with my down-to-earth approach, and was always picking fights with me about it.

When she was teaching me (in the kitchen away from the customers, I might add) what dips go with what, I casually asked, "So you just bung the dish with the dip in it next to the plate when you set it on the table?" She was horrified. Of course, I didn't mean I would throw it at the customer, it was just my figure of speech. Other times, when I was having a relaxed and pleasant chat with the customer while setting their food down, this woman would be boring holes into my head the whole time, scared to death I would say something that would ruin her precious yuppie ambience. The customers never had a problem with me.

I finally gave up on serving, as I'm a bit clumsy, and had once burned my thumb on a plate by not holding the towel on it properly, and I had also fallen down the stairs and landed upside down hanging from the bannister in front of a lot of people. It was hilarious and I didn't hurt myself, but I wasn't cut out for that kind of work any more! :lol:

Mallory Jun 25th 2007 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4965995)
Truly baffled by this reply. What relevance has England, people in England, or Islam got to do with my OP?

Baffled myself! You said Christians get on your tits. I thought you probably were a christian, i.e. C of E or Catholic.

Jerseygirl Jun 25th 2007 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4966721)
Baffled myself! You said Christians get on your tits. I thought you probably were a christian, i.e. C of E or Catholic.

I think it was because you singled out 'muslim' instead of using a more generalised term.

Elvira Jun 25th 2007 3:23 am

Whilst his subject heading may be a tad misledading, his post makes it clear that he is referring to a very specific sub-species of 'Christians'...

Silly Sod Jun 25th 2007 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4966702)
TIO is the place to post controversial subjects such as religious and political threads that may become heated. If this happens to this thread it will be moved anyway.

BTW The remark in my first post was a little joke between myself and Silly Sod...which he understood but obviously a couple of others didn't. :)

And she is right - silly sod by name and all that he he :)

Jerseygirl Jun 25th 2007 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4966762)
And she is right - silly sod by name and all that he he :)

Yep you're a Silly Sod alright. ;)

Silly Sod Jun 25th 2007 3:33 am

Forgive me for sounding a bit dim here - but why whould a post headed Christians Get On my Tits make anybody think I was a christian? Anyhoo, the thread was not started as a religeous one but rather a tale of waiting tables. As our dearest JG has pointed out, this is not the place for religeous debatery he he. It is just about toss pot customers when you work as a server. If they had been really nice christians the thread topic would have been slightly different. There was a table of old hippes who were great fun. Perhaps next time I will say -Old Hippies Tickle Me pink (at work). Hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Peace.

Adnams Jun 25th 2007 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4966778)
Forgive me for sounding a bit dim here - but why whould a post headed Christians Get On my Tits make anybody think I was a christian? Anyhoo, the thread was not started as a religeous one but rather a tale of waiting tables. As our dearest JG has pointed out, this is not the place for religeous debatery he he. It is just about toss pot customers when you work as a server. If they had been really nice christians the thread topic would have been slightly different. There was a table of old hippes who were great fun. Perhaps next time I will say -Old Hippies Tickle Me pink (at work). Hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Peace.

You know hell is reality if you've ever worked in retail or restaurants....
Customers.. :curse: :)

Silly Sod Jun 25th 2007 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 4966812)
You know hell is reality if you've ever worked in retail or restaurants....
Customers.. :curse: :)

He he he. They aint all bad though. I like to deal with people for the most part. So far it has been enjoyable and the money is suprisingly good considering.

Adnams Jun 25th 2007 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4966892)
He he he. They aint all bad though. I like to deal with people for the most part. So far it has been enjoyable and the money is suprisingly good considering.

I was the grumpiest shop assistant ever when I worked behind the deli counter at Gateways while at college. I am surprised I didnt get sacked. I was totally mardy even to the little old ladies.
It wasnt my forte!
:D

Paul S Jun 25th 2007 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4966778)
There was a table of old hippes who were great fun. Perhaps next time I will say -Old Hippies Tickle Me pink (at work). Hope this clears up any misunderstanding. Peace.

Bl00dy Hippies

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...c34/Hippie.jpg

BigDavyG Jun 25th 2007 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4965662)
Most people from the UK are Christians. Are you Muslim or something?

Actually not really to be honest

Mallory Jun 25th 2007 6:13 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4967519)
Actually not really to be honest

i was raised Catholic, so didn't know that C of E didn't like to be call Christians. My mistake.

BigDavyG Jun 25th 2007 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4967617)
i was raised Catholic, so didn't know that C of E didn't like to be call Christians. My mistake.

Most people in the UK aren't "raised" as anything these days.
Being a member of the indigenous population does not make one a christian by default you know.

Elvira Jun 25th 2007 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4967617)

Brits tend not to define themselves by their religion, or lack of it.

And a good thing too. Religion should be a private matter.