British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Christians get on my tits (at work) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/christians-get-my-tits-work-460845/)

Silly Sod Jun 24th 2007 3:44 am

Christians get on my tits (at work)

Yes, so,

I am waiting tables now. Like everything else I have done since being in the US 0f A, it is a whole new experience. Since coming over, as many of you know, at the grand old age of 38 I have learned to drive, worked on roofs and other construction projects and am now waiting tables. All good fun and a huge departure from my reasonably well paid job working for the council back home and sitting in an office for a long 7 hour day. Well, I say 7 hour day but with flexi time it usually panned out at about 5 hours with an hour and a half for lunch. As you can imagine it was gruelling.

Anyway, waiting tables is an interesting change and it is a great way to do a spot of people watching. But what, I hear you moan, has all this got to do with Christians? Well, read on. First of all though, a disclaimer. This is not intended to insult christians en masse or to suggest that this is a good or accurate generalisation of Christians on the whole. So piss before you start!!! :)

Onward then. Tonight everybody I served was very nice. Everybody, as usual, had many questions about the Uk and quite a few had been to visit. Good conversation, nice people and, of course, great accent based tips from middle aged women, phnar phnar.

Then in come four 'gentlemen'. They sit at one of my tables and off I go with a hand full of menus. Before too long it became apparent that they were going to be a bunch of total twats!!!
Usually I make a point of saying - I've only been working here for a couple of days so I am just finding my feet. Most people are really understanding, treat me well and work with me by actually reading the menu before asking dumb ass questions like: now, does the salad come with a dressing. Or: Does the Veggie Pasta contain any meat at all? Not these guys however. They went out of their way to ask me awkward questions in an aggressive manner about the menu.

Okay, I might be just whining here, and I wouldn't be if it was merely a case of a few asshole customers. I have had to deal with such people, one way or another, throughout my working life and before that, all through school. Prior to that while trying to eat soil sat in the street in my nappy with the other soil eating kids I came up with. So, nothing new there. The thing that really pissed me off though, after these idiots had spent half an hour messing me about and talking down to me like I was something they had just discovered stuck to the bottom of their collective shoe, I overhear them talking scripture. Talking about Jesus and what he meant when he said this that and the other. It became apparent that one of them was a pastor. I mentally went over the pro's and cons of getting fired on the spot. If there is one thing I cannot frikkin stand it is hypocrites. And they were loud Aaarrghhhh, I was fuming. They tipped me 4 bucks after paying with a 100 dollar bill. I kept my cool, smiled the whole time, said please and thank you and hoped my mother would be proud if she could see me practicing all that she had preached to me as I grew up: Manners make the man, she would say. Don't stoop to their level, I could almost hear her telling me.

It seems that all of the people surrounding them were as disgusted as I because, even though I was forced to neglect the other customers somewhat while trying to keep these tossers happy, I made 76 dollars in tips. Not bad for a few hours work.

So, christians get on my tits (at work).

And the moral of the story - don't give servers a hard time. They might just be new, not lazy or incompetent. Thanks for watching, you've been great :)

Jerseygirl Jun 24th 2007 4:53 am

Re: Christians get on my tits (at work)

My daughter worked as a server the summer before beginning uni and the following summer. In NJ servers usually work for tips only...some nights she would work from 4 pm to 11 pm for $20 to $30 dollars. One night a guy walked out without paying...his bill was almost $100 and she had to pay it herself. Out of the tips she earned she had to 'tip out' to the bus guys, kitchen staff and bar staff. I now see servers in a whole new light.

Anyway to get back to the subject of your thread...how do we know when church leaders say they've had a message from God it's true? :blink::unsure::blink:

One more thing...you really should think about putting some of your threads in TIO or the Lounge...you Silly Sod. ;)

Elvira Jun 24th 2007 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4960128)
Yes, so,

I am waiting tables now. .......... And the moral of the story - don't give servers a hard time. They might just be new, not lazy or incompetent. Thanks for watching, you've been great :)

Having done my fair share of waitressing in the past, I can empathise.

I've used my special connections and put in a word for you with the Patron Saint of Patience and Forbearance, and she's promised to keep an eye on you :)

Silly Sod Jun 24th 2007 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4960237)

I've used my special connections and put in a word for you with the Patron Saint of Patience and Forbearance, and she's promised to keep an eye on you :)

My troubles are over then :) It aint too bad though, much more fun than not fun. I love being around people so it beats the crap out of office work. thanks for the thought Elvira. Cant wait till my next shift. :thumbup:

Jerseygirl Jun 24th 2007 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4960237)

Is she the Rev's other half? ;)

Elvira Jun 24th 2007 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4960278)
Is she the Rev's other half? ;)

I thought the Rev was celibate! :ohmy: :blink:

Jerseygirl Jun 24th 2007 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4960280)

I seem to have put my foot in it don't I? :sneaky:

Elvira Jun 24th 2007 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4960286)
I seem to have put my foot in it don't I? :sneaky:

You had better spill the beans... :p

Sally Jun 24th 2007 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4960280)

Why should he buy a book when there's a thriving lending library in the town?

(Benny Hill :lol:)

Jerseygirl Jun 24th 2007 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4960290)
You had better spill the beans... :p

I may be struck down with a thunderbolt. :ohmy:

Elvira Jun 24th 2007 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4960296)
I may be struck down with a thunderbolt. :ohmy:

that bad? :ohmy:

Silly Sod Jun 24th 2007 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4960218)
My daughter worked as a server the summer before beginning uni and the following summer. In NJ servers usually work for tips only...some nights she would work from 4 pm to 11 pm for $20 to $30 dollars. One night a guy walked out without paying...his bill was almost $100 and she had to pay it herself. Out of the tips she earned she had to 'tip out' to the bus guys, kitchen staff and bar staff. I now see servers in a whole new light.

Anyway to get back to the subject of your thread...how do we know when church leaders say they've had a message from God it's true? :blink::unsure::blink:

One more thing...you really should think about putting some of your threads in TIO or the Lounge...you Silly Sod. ;)

eeeek, told off :) - sorry Jersey. TOI would have been more suitable. Just thought coz we is in america an dat innit lol. Trailer Park has become my catch all for off topic subjects. I will place threads better in future. Can you move it even? I won't be offended so long as you put: Moved Because Silly Sod Rox he he

(PS - little drunk so iggy me :) )

TRPardoe Jun 24th 2007 11:12 am

I have to work with one of these idiots.

Just the other day he told me, uninvited, that everything that is worth knowing about life was written down by god 2000 years ago.

I told him that half of it (Old Testament) was much older and that the Bible as we know it was severely edited at the Council of Nicaea. He did not know what I was talking about.

As he now refuses to debate with me I probably shall not find out if he knows that the Old Testament is a Jewish history book.

TRPardoe Jun 24th 2007 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4960218)

If that happened I would never get to read the posts. I don't go there.

Sarah Jun 24th 2007 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4960128)
Yes, so,

I am waiting tables now. Like everything else I have done since being in the US 0f A, it is a whole new experience. Since coming over, as many of you know, at the grand old age of 38 I have learned to drive, worked on roofs and other construction projects and am now waiting tables. All good fun and a huge departure from my reasonably well paid job working for the council back home and sitting in an office for a long 7 hour day. Well, I say 7 hour day but with flexi time it usually panned out at about 5 hours with an hour and a half for lunch. As you can imagine it was gruelling.

Anyway, waiting tables is an interesting change and it is a great way to do a spot of people watching. But what, I hear you moan, has all this got to do with Christians? Well, read on. First of all though, a disclaimer. This is not intended to insult christians en masse or to suggest that this is a good or accurate generalisation of Christians on the whole. So piss before you start!!! :)

Onward then. Tonight everybody I served was very nice. Everybody, as usual, had many questions about the Uk and quite a few had been to visit. Good conversation, nice people and, of course, great accent based tips from middle aged women, phnar phnar.

Then in come four 'gentlemen'. They sit at one of my tables and off I go with a hand full of menus. Before too long it became apparent that they were going to be a bunch of total twats!!!
Usually I make a point of saying - I've only been working here for a couple of days so I am just finding my feet. Most people are really understanding, treat me well and work with me by actually reading the menu before asking dumb ass questions like: now, does the salad come with a dressing. Or: Does the Veggie Pasta contain any meat at all? Not these guys however. They went out of their way to ask me awkward questions in an aggressive manner about the menu.

Okay, I might be just whining here, and I wouldn't be if it was merely a case of a few asshole customers. I have had to deal with such people, one way or another, throughout my working life and before that, all through school. Prior to that while trying to eat soil sat in the street in my nappy with the other soil eating kids I came up with. So, nothing new there. The thing that really pissed me off though, after these idiots had spent half an hour messing me about and talking down to me like I was something they had just discovered stuck to the bottom of their collective shoe, I overhear them talking scripture. Talking about Jesus and what he meant when he said this that and the other. It became apparent that one of them was a pastor. I mentally went over the pro's and cons of getting fired on the spot. If there is one thing I cannot frikkin stand it is hypocrites. And they were loud Aaarrghhhh, I was fuming. They tipped me 4 bucks after paying with a 100 dollar bill. I kept my cool, smiled the whole time, said please and thank you and hoped my mother would be proud if she could see me practicing all that she had preached to me as I grew up: Manners make the man, she would say. Don't stoop to their level, I could almost hear her telling me.

It seems that all of the people surrounding them were as disgusted as I because, even though I was forced to neglect the other customers somewhat while trying to keep these tossers happy, I made 76 dollars in tips. Not bad for a few hours work.

So, christians get on my tits (at work).

And the moral of the story - don't give servers a hard time. They might just be new, not lazy or incompetent. Thanks for watching, you've been great :)

I waitressed for a long while as well, you can't let stuff like this color your opinion of people, because otherwise you'll come out hating everybody! Without a doubt the absolute worst people I waited on were Jews. They tipped horribly, complained about everything (one lady complained about the way the door opened another guy about complained about the way the waitstaff carried their trays,) in general they were never satisfied or happy with anything and would be rude and loud constantly.
Bizarrely, they would put down Christians, they disliked it when one of the waitstaff wore a cross on her necklace, telling her that Jesus was not the son of God and then also gave the women the occassional come on when their wives weren't looking. However, is it okay for me to therefore loathe all Jewish people and think they're all this way? No. Same with Christians I guess. you've just gotta do your best not to let things like that jade you and rise above it. Kudos to you though, waitressing in America is one of the hardest things I've done.