Appreciating Britain.

Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appreciating Britain.

I don't know if it's just Glasgow/the North being additionally affected by the +cold factor, but it seems the timing of summer weather is very unpredictable here. We might have a glorious hot spot in April (bring the bulbs up), followed by a frost that kills them off! And then we wait for summer to arrive. And wait. And wait. This year we had a very cool, wet mid-summer followed by a few days recently of lovely heat and little rain. But autumn/winter isn't far away and could start next week. From the perspective of a gardener, the weather plays havoc. The past two winters I have lost about half of my plants to deep frost. And all the goldfish (10 orange lollipops).

Of course, spring/summer is also conference season for me and I always seem to be away during the one or two weeks we actually get good weather!

My take on weather is that in the US, I would confidently schedule a BBQ party or group bike ride assuming it would be warm and dry, and being rained off (or rained on!) would be the exception. Here it seems BBQ's and bike rides are scheduled very ad hoc (quick! The sun is out! Let's have a BBQ before it rains again!).

Must say from posts on here, it doesn't seem near as bad as this for people further south, especially the southeast.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:29 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
No.
On verra.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:25 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Why ?

Originally Posted by Zen10
On verra.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:36 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't know if it's just Glasgow/the North being additionally affected by the +cold factor, but it seems the timing of summer weather is very unpredictable here. We might have a glorious hot spot in April (bring the bulbs up), followed by a frost that kills them off! And then we wait for summer to arrive. And wait. And wait.
It's been milder in Devon, but much of the same pattern.

Ibelieve that officially it's been a lousy summer. Wettest June ever, I think. And that early warmth followed by cold did play havoc in the garden. It took ages for the runner beans to get going, and the outdoor tomatos are a dead loss.

At least it being a bad one means we can hope for better next year!

Bev
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Any summer with no 100 degree days is a winner as far as I'm concerned
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Must say from posts on here, it doesn't seem near as bad as this for people further south, especially the southeast.
sadly not this bit of the South (Surrey/London)- it has been wetter than wet, and pretty nippy. I think today was a scorching 17deg C.
We are wearing jackets and it is still August.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:23 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
sadly not this bit of the South (Surrey/London)- it has been wetter than wet, and pretty nippy. I think today was a scorching 17deg C.
We are wearing jackets and it is still August.
Telegraph UK says it is the wettest summer ever. Now my tea leaves do tell me the UK is going to get a very cold winter this year, although this is often preferable to more non-stop rain I would say. I mean I would prefer snow and cold to more grey and wet.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:10 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem to that, there isnt much worse. I am still in t-shirt and shorts and no doubt will be for another couple of months. I love being able to get on with stuff without sweating like a pig.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:19 am
Banned

Ahem to that, there isnt much worse. I am still in t-shirt and shorts and no doubt will be for another couple of months. I love being able to get on with stuff without sweating like a pig.
You're going to be in t-shirt and shorts at Halloween? Must say that is not how I remember that time of year.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:40 am
Banned

I really have no idea when Halloween is but if it is in the next couple of months then yes i will be.

Originally Posted by Zen10
You're going to be in t-shirt and shorts at Halloween? Must say that is not how I remember that time of year.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

We've had our share of rain this year on the south Kent coast but its been rather nice the past couple of weeks with the odd splash through the night. I can live with that. Temps. of 18-20C and sunshine....suits me just fine!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I really have no idea when Halloween is but if it is in the next couple of months then yes i will be.
I'm sure you will have changed your mind when it is dark at 6.00pm and feels bloody freezing around 7 deg. End of October always seems to be immensely cold. Your memory is playing tricks or you do not feel the cold.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pomster
I'm sure you will have changed your mind when it is dark at 6.00pm and feels bloody freezing around 7 deg. End of October always seems to be immensely cold. Your memory is playing tricks or you do not feel the cold.
No no - Chris is right. In two months' time when it is 2 degrees at dinnertime and a 45 mph wind is howling in from across the Welsh mountains, he will be found on a sun lounger in his back garden in shorts and a t-shirt. He is right, and we are wrong.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:04 pm
Banned

Same here, temps around 20C are really comfortable for me but i dont feel the cold so it doesnt matter one way or the other. When i worked here years ago doing kitchen installation i would turn up for work in shorts in November, the locals thought I was mad but it suited me

Originally Posted by curleytops
We've had our share of rain this year on the south Kent coast but its been rather nice the past couple of weeks with the odd splash through the night. I can live with that. Temps. of 18-20C and sunshine....suits me just fine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.