Appreciating Britain.

Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:11 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appreciating Britain.

Spring in England is the best season IMO and it usually comes early as it's so mild.

Spring here doesn't arrive until around May and it's really dead and depressing until then.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Spring in England is the best season IMO and it usually comes early as it's so mild.

Spring here doesn't arrive until around May and it's really dead and depressing until then.
Same here (Scotland) - as I think someone else said (in this thread or another), the climate in the UK varies a lot, especially between the far south and the far north. The spring and summer here (Scotland) can be very brief some years. But yes, I agree with you, spring is nice because you get that nice feeling that at last winter is coming to an end. Got another few months before we see that though.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:08 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Same here (Scotland) - as I think someone else said (in this thread or another), the climate in the UK varies a lot, especially between the far south and the far north. The spring and summer here (Scotland) can be very brief some years. But yes, I agree with you, spring is nice because you get that nice feeling that at last winter is coming to an end. Got another few months before we see that though.
Yeah I loved spring in the south. We use to cycle through our local woods and see daffodils and bluebells it was really pretty. Really cheers you up after winter.

I guess scotland is further North than we are here in Nova Scotia so cold and snowy winters. My inlaws live in Scotland so I'm sure I will be visiting lots
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Yeah I loved spring in the south. We use to cycle through our local woods and see daffodils and bluebells it was really pretty. Really cheers you up after winter.

I guess scotland is further North than we are here in Nova Scotia so cold and snowy winters. My inlaws live in Scotland so I'm sure I will be visiting lots
we have snowdrops and an azalea out in flower in the garden here..
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:04 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
I'm going to really have to prepare myself for the constant rain Still I won't be deterred
I think half the problem is that people expect sun in the UK when it isn't a particularly sunny country.

If you expect rain and prepare for it, then it isn't half as bad.

We came back for Christmas and went walking in the rain (waterproof trousers, jackets etc) and loved it.

Victor Meldrew.... reporting from Dubai....... 75 degrees and Sunny...
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

What I found last year is that Spring goes on forever here. As far as I'm concerned it's already started as we have flowers and buds on the trees, and it goes on and on, with some trees not getting leaves until mid- to late May. And the blossoms stay on the trees forever! (of course that means a shorter summer, but I prefer Spring and Fall anyway).

When I lived in Toronto, you could blink and miss Spring. One day it was freezing, then the leaves came out and seemingly just a few days later it was 80 degrees and humid. In New York, the leaves were all out within about 3 weeks, and blossoms lasted one or two weeks depending on the trees.

If you expect rain and prepare for it, then it isn't half as bad.
Exactly. It can actually be fun to walk in the rain. And then when you get a sunny day, it feels like such a gift and you truly appreciate it.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
What I found last year is that Spring goes on forever here. As far as I'm concerned it's already started as we have flowers and buds on the trees, and it goes on and on, with some trees not getting leaves until mid- to late May. And the blossoms stay on the trees forever! (of course that means a shorter summer, but I prefer Spring and Fall anyway).

When I lived in Toronto, you could blink and miss Spring. One day it was freezing, then the leaves came out and seemingly just a few days later it was 80 degrees and humid. In New York, the leaves were all out within about 3 weeks, and blossoms lasted one or two weeks depending on the trees.

Exactly. It can actually be fun to walk in the rain. And then when you get a sunny day, it feels like such a gift and you truly appreciate it.
Yes, invigorating to do a coastal walk with brief squalls, racing clouds on high if not too cold and you have a good pair of boots. Continental climate at altitude is especially hard !
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Putting it another way, the UK is still as near as darn it bankrupt, but I don't think that we can assign any of the blame for that to you aries.
Any chance the UK will follow Greece? If so, what then?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Any chance the UK will follow Greece? If so, what then?
No. Britain could never suffer the same problems as Greece because, unlike Greece, Britain controls its own currency. Same reason America could never suffer the same fate.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
No. Britain could never suffer the same problems as Greece because, unlike Greece, Britain controls its own currency. Same reason America could never suffer the same fate.
Sally,
I am not trying to be funny, but the party you seem to support would have
have joined the Euro from the outset.
BTW, I am so sorry you have had problems recently.
There appears to be lowlife everywhere.