Appreciating Britain.

Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:39 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appreciating Britain.

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
I'm going to visit my Grandmother in Bognor Regis this Friday for 6 days. Just me solo. It'll be great and I can't wait. I'm flying into LHR and driving myself down through Surrey and Sussex. I don't care if it rains all day every day... I'm still going to walk from one end of Bognor's beaches to the other, take some piccies, grab a ploughman's, and see some old haunts. We always like to pop over to Arundel and do the castle tour and wander around some of the antique shops too. Plus I'll try and catch market day somewhere. I know the six days will pass so fast.
Sounds lovely! I'm from Brighton so know the South East coast well Hope you get great weather and enjoy your trip
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:29 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
one thing we have realised is that the weather really isn't important at all in the grand scheme of things.
Your realisation is based on a biased sample though, isn't it?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:02 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
I'm going to visit my Grandmother in Bognor Regis this Friday for 6 days. Just me solo. It'll be great and I can't wait. I'm flying into LHR and driving myself down through Surrey and Sussex. I don't care if it rains all day every day... I'm still going to walk from one end of Bognor's beaches to the other, take some piccies, grab a ploughman's, and see some old haunts. We always like to pop over to Arundel and do the castle tour and wander around some of the antique shops too. Plus I'll try and catch market day somewhere. I know the six days will pass so fast.
I use to go to Bognor Regis a lot as my uncle lived there before passing away a few years ago. Always loved going there and enjoyed the beach. Have fun
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brits1
Its the same in Derbyshire.....such a lot to see and its a farily large country as well....after so many years of not having such choice it really is like a kid in the sweet shop.....
Derbyshire is very much underrated although the Peak District National Park claims to be the second most visited national park in the World and actually stretches into Yorkshire, Lancashire, and Staffordshire.

When I hear all of this talk about chavs and yobs in the UK, I can only assume that some are focusing on the bad areas which you get anywhere. I was in Harrogate at the weekend which is very civilised. No speed cameras either, or at least none that I was aware of. It is just too bad that this is one of the worst summers I can remember.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:51 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009

When I hear all of this talk about chavs and yobs in the UK, I can only assume that some are focusing on the bad areas which you get anywhere. I was in Harrogate at the weekend which is very civilised. No speed cameras either, or at least none that I was aware of. It is just too bad that this is one of the worst summers I can remember.
I wonder if I passed you while you were here!

Is this really such a bad summer? I guess I was expecting a lot worse and have enjoyed it so much. Yes there have been wet days like today, but we have had a lot of lovely days too and have spent more time outdoors than we ever did during a New York summer (WAY too hot and humid for me to venture outside!)
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:57 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Originally Posted by Zen10
Your realisation is based on
a biased sample though, isn't it?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that the other day, it really hasnt been bad at all here and hasnt stopped us doing anything really.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Is this really such a bad summer? I guess I was expecting a lot worse and have enjoyed it so much. Yes there have been wet days like today, but we have had a lot of lovely days too and have spent more time outdoors than we ever did during a New York summer (WAY too hot and humid for me to venture outside!)
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
We know the south Derbyshire Peak District well, having lived just over the border in Staffordshire, and its been on our list for possible places to retire. However, property prices there currently look high compared with much of the West Country. I don't know why.

Also, as a keen gardener, I did get fed up with my flowers and vegetables ripening as much as a month later than my friends in the south, and I think I'd like to spend my declining years with at least a chance of ripening tomatoes outside before the first frost.
Tell me about it. At least half of my plants haven't flowered yet this year and I just know the first frost is round the next corner ...
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:10 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

No.
I'm sure it is, you know.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Yes, the humidity surrounding the Great Lakes was a bit much at times. I think the problem here is that, this summer, the good weather has come during the week and the weekends have been bad, which is no good for those who are at work. Regarding Harrogate, it has consistently maintained its reputation as one of the best places to visit in the region and the surrounding area has much to offer. Too bad places such as Bridlington could not do the same.

If you missed it this year, try the outdoor food fair at Ilkley next year on The Grove which was really good. Too bad it rained - weekend again!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:58 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Yes, the humidity surrounding the Great Lakes was a bit much at times. I think the problem here is that, this summer, the good weather has come during the week and the weekends have been bad, which is no good for those who are at work. Regarding Harrogate, it has consistently maintained its reputation as one of the best places to visit in the region and the surrounding area has much to offer. Too bad places such as Bridlington could not do the same.

If you missed it this year, try the outdoor food fair at Ilkley next year on The Grove which was really good. Too bad it rained - weekend again!
You make a really good point. Because we work for ourselves, we've been able to take advantage of good weather when it happens and then catch up on rainy weekend days. Also we also don't have the slog to work every morning in bad weather. I think it skews my perception.

I do think we've also capitalized on good weather more than most people here though - if it's been a nice evening, we've headed up into the Dales after work. It's only 30 minutes from here to get to beautiful scenery and all through June and July you get a good 3 or 4 hours before it gets dark and you can pack a lot into that time. So that's also changed my perception I think.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:27 am
Banned

No.

Originally Posted by Zen10
I'm sure it is, you know.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:36 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

SO looking forward to leaving behind the humidity of far north Queensland! Its winter here, should be lovely, but its rained (torrential) for the past 3 nights, humid all day and the mozzies are biting

Opened up my carefully packed boxes of suede and leather shoes and jackets a few days ago, (sealed bags, dehumidifier pots) to find all covered in mould - again!!!! After a massive dry cleaning bill for the clothes and a day of cleaning shoes & boots - vinegar and water, followed by a stint in the sun and a spray with water/oil of cloves (kills the spores) - I packed it all up and shipped it off to my Mum's today.

Only one more wet season of constant cleaning and washing to go, with everything from cushions to furniture to clothes turning green and smelling damp and mouldy THEN smelling of oil of cloves and vinegar post cleaning ! Another thing I now appreciate about the UK
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:11 am
Banned

I am amazed anyone lives in FNQ to be honest, i used to love going up there a couple of times a year for 2 or 3 weeks at a time but no way could i live there. It was bad enough in Brisbane where everything goes rusty or mouldy.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:22 am
Practical Paramedic

I am amazed anyone lives in FNQ to be honest, i used to love going up there a couple of times a year for 2 or 3 weeks at a time but no way could i live there. It was bad enough in Brisbane where everything goes rusty or mouldy.
I totally agree! I'm up here for my job atm, it pays well as its a single officer station so I am sucking it up atm even though I'm over the humidity, mould, crocodiles, snakes, mozzies and lets not forget the stingers in the water Nov to May lol! Its VERY pretty and I can totally see why people come here for holidays but to live its not that great and after 18 months I am just so bored, there's not really a lot to do unless you're into fishing. During the wet season the roads get cut off, I'm stuck in town for my days off and it drives me MAD ! Had a talk with my boss today and I've put in all my paperwork to leave end of Feb 2013. Back to Blighty for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.