Appreciating Britain.

Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appreciating Britain.

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Bub what on earth do you want Chris to do.
Why would I want him to do something?

Chris is posting his experience of where he lives in the UK, which is what people do on a forum.

Do you want him to put a disclaimer on the bottom of each post, with links to crime stats, unemployement stats etc to give in your opinon 'a more balance view'.
And I'm disagreeing with some of his posts, which is what people do on a forum. He's welcome to provide links should he wish to do so. I've no problem either way.

I post some very negative comments about the US but don't expect anyone to change there mind about moving to the US. I just expect people to pick up a few things that might help.
Then you should have no problem when people post negative things about the UK.

The fact that people on here can read, write, have access to the internet and traveled the world means most have the intelligence to look up the info they require and not just use a few posts on a forum.
Hopefully they will do so.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
5 crimes!!! probably the same person - hardly a crime ridden place, I am looking at places to retire to where some have over 100 crimes a month! Not that I am choosing them but be reasonable.
You completly miss the point. it's the selective choosing of what reports to post and inform others that is misleading.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:08 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if anyone has experience of spending time in Glastonbury, other than for the music festival?

In particular, the Chalice Well looks like a lovely place to visit.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Common sense.
In my experience I tend to give statistics light reading lol...the only way you can truly know about anywhere is if you have either lived,worked or visited for a long period and in recent times. I have travelled quite widely and I am surprised by the change in certain countries even after a couple of years. I think you should stop reading statistics and go out and investigate yourself...much more fun and much more real.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:11 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

People do stretch the truth to suit there aims, it's just human nature. There are some great places to live here in the UK especially if you have enough money to buy a house in the countryside, those converted barns are incredible, low crime, away from the troublesome areas. Most people can't afford to do this, so peoples opinions and experiences are going to differ massively, but the idealic lifestyle is there to be had, if you can afford it.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:46 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

You completly miss the point. it's the selective choosing of what reports to post and inform others that is misleading.
Or maybe his experience just genuinely is the way he describes it.

Apparently the town I live near (Harrogate) has a culture of binge drinking and drugs on a Saturday night. We've been into town on a Saturday night a few times and seen nothing but couples strolling round, people walking their dogs, and young people wandering from pub to pub laughing and giggling. Am I being selective if I tell you that? Or should I invent a gang fight just to make my experiences sound more realistic? I'm sure they're happening somewhere in town - I just haven't seen them as yet.

I think what happens when you've been away a long time is that you internalize the stories of hoodies and drinking and violence, and you imagine that it's far more visible and prevalent than it actually is. (I know I did that and when we first came back, I was nervous about going into town at night). That makes it hard to believe those of us who say we haven't witnessed any of it, but we can only tell you what we see.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brits1
In my experience I tend to give statistics light reading lol...the only way you can truly know about anywhere is if you have either lived,worked or visited for a long period and in recent times. I have travelled quite widely and I am surprised by the change in certain countries even after a couple of years. I think you should stop reading statistics and go out and investigate yourself...much more fun and much more real.
I lot of truth in what you've just said. I doubt though if those who are thinking of returning have the luxury to be able investigate in depth and use this forum as a stepping stone in their quest for information. Having a balance of information is important and those who report negative experiences should be listened to without having their views dismissed in the way they so often are.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt though if those who are thinking of returning have the luxury to be able investigate in depth and use this forum as a stepping stone in their quest for information.
They are in no worse a position than you are but, you have, for some reason, taken it upon yourself to inform them about the negative aspects of the UK despite not being there yourself either.

Perhaps many are far better informed than yourself.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Or maybe his experience just genuinely is the way he describes it.
I'm sure the crime stats he CHOOSE to report are correct.

Apparently the town I live near (Harrogate) has a culture of binge drinking and drugs on a Saturday night. We've been into town on a Saturday night a few times and seen nothing but couples strolling round, people walking their dogs, and young people wandering from pub to pub laughing and giggling. Am I being selective if I tell you that? Or should I invent a gang fight just to make my experiences sound more realistic? I'm sure they're happening somewhere in town - I just haven't seen them as yet.
FYI:

http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Neighbou...Harrogate_Town

I think what happens when you've been away a long time is that you internalize the stories of hoodies and drinking and violence, and you imagine that it's far more visible and prevalent than it actually is. (I know I did that and when we first came back, I was nervous about going into town at night). That makes it hard to believe those of us who say we haven't witnessed any of it, but we can only tell you what we see.
Not at all. My mind is always open and I'm more than happy to concede a point of view in reasoned debate. I never said I didn't believe you when you said you hadn't witnessed any crime, what I said was just because you don't witness it doesn't mean to say it doesn't happen. Totally different.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in a town that was a suburb of Bournemouth, it did have a major drug problem, and you often saw people sitting on benches in the shopping precinct in the morning drinking cans of strong lager, BUT we never personally saw any problems, however a week after we left there was a murder only about 200 yards from where we lived, there was one very dodgy are in the town, but also some very nice upmarket areas. Personally I wouldn't recommend it, not for the drug problems etc, but the fact that the centre is rather run down with a lot of empty shops, and the streets around it are dismal and dirty.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
They are in no worse a position than you are but, you have, for some reason, taken it upon yourself to inform them about the negative aspects of the UK despite not being there yourself either.
Not true. I have written very little about negative aspects of the UK and when I find positive aspects I'm happy to post them. Errrrrmmm look at the first post on this thread and who started it.

Perhaps many are far better informed than yourself.
Well of course many are, that's why I want to absorb as many different views and experiences as possible. Both negative and positive. Common sense really.

Last edited by Bud the Wiser; Sep 8th 2012 at 11:04 am. Reason: correcting error
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Not true. I have written very little about negative aspects of the UK and when I find positive aspects I'm happy to post them. Errrrrmmm look at the first post on this thread and who started it.

Well of course many are, that's why I want to absorb as many different views and experiences as possible. Both negative and positive. Common sense really.
......and butter wouldn't melt in your mouth
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

......and butter wouldn't melt in your mouth

"It would be no description of Mr Pecksniff's gentleness of manner to adopt the common parlance, and say that he looked at this moment as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. He rather looked as if any quantity of butter might have been made out of him, by churning the milk of human kindness, as it spouted upwards from his heart."
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:25 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I never said I didn't believe you when you said you hadn't witnessed any crime, what I said was just because you don't witness it doesn't mean to say it doesn't happen. Totally different.
But I didn't claim that did I? Nor has anyone else.

All we are doing is giving you our experiences - actual experiences, not stats or things gleaned from the papers, or from our memory banks.

Back in America, I lived in a lovely little town near Manhattan. You could walk out at night without any fear, the streets were always spotlessly clean, the people nodded hello as they passed by. We often went out without locking our doors (by accident) and never had a burglary. And yet, whenever I saw the local paper, I was shocked. Over just the last few years there was a bank robber on the loose for a few months - he had held up the 3 local banks at gunpoint. The body of a teenage girl was found in town one morning just laying in the middle of the road. The owner of a local landscape company was found shot dead behind some shops just up the road.

I usually didn't read the paper, so I was unaware of all this. And if you had asked me about the town, I would have said it was a lovely place to live (still would).

Point is there is crime everywhere - even the 'nice' towns. But unless you live in a particularly crime-ridden place, it doesn't intrude on your every day life, no matter what the Daily Mail says.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:59 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Where I live in the UK it's the same, there is never any problems with anything, no fear of crime, but like you say if you read the local paper there's all sorts of crimes being committed, but I have never felt I would fall victim to crime TBH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.