Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Feel They Are In Limboland?

Anyone Else Feel They Are In Limboland?

Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Else Feel They Are In Limboland?

Originally Posted by tpsister
Thanks for the support.
My husbands thinks i am being selfish by going back but i came out here because it was his dream. It hasn't worked out for me and if it was the other way round i'm sure we would have been on a plane by now.
He knew how i was feeling and pushed to buy a place so now we have that to deal with too.
life really does suck sometimes but you are right- keep the image of me back in the uk in my head and i will get through.
cheers
Sounds like a slightly familiar story.
Good luck n hang in there
x
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Sounds like a slightly familiar story.
Good luck n hang in there
x
Know exactly the feeling of limboland..
we have been here 4 months and everyday we have the debate..are we staying..are we going...
we dont feel we can even commit to joining a gym for a month, buying kitchen utensils, even a laundry basket..
feel like we dont want to waste any more money than the fortune we have already spent coming here on things if we arent staying..
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karni31
we have been here 4 months and everyday we have the debate..are we staying..are we going...
we dont feel we can even commit to joining a gym for a month, buying kitchen utensils, even a laundry basket..
feel like we dont want to waste any more money than the fortune we have already spent coming here on things if we arent staying..
Karni
Hope you make a decision soon, best of luck.
x
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice

Karni
Hope you make a decision soon, best of luck.
x
thanks birdnumnum..what about u..are u going back to Blighty?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks birdnumnum..what about u..are u going back to Blighty?
Yes after many moons here and some pondering I think its a better place for me long term
Do you dislike here or are you missing family?
Where are you anyway?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:10 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

oh we did this too, not buying anything - just in case, then a friend of mine said, no wonder you dont feel settled, your not putting down roots.........

so off i went shopping, looking at areas to live, houses, even got a puppy and guess what? we are off home in five weeks, after having to wait 6 months for our new pooch to get his rabies clearance!!

moral of the story - follow your gut instincts! we could have saved ourselves money and got home alot sooner!

goodluck

mandx
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Yes after many moons here and some pondering I think its a better place for me long term
Do you dislike here or are you missing family?
Where are you anyway?
I am in Sydney...been here just 4 months..came over with aussie fiance..
Miss family first and foremost..but are other factors about Oz that make me know in my heart I cant stay here for the rest of my life..

Unfortunately it looks like I am going back without my fiance as he doesnt want to live in UK..is all very sad..

Has been great to have found this site to feel like Im not the only one to feel this way..(my fiance cant understand why anyone wouldnt want to live in Oz and tells me to stop complaining and get on with things when I try to explain how I feel)..

How long did you give it before you decided enough was enough..do you have kids..is your partner from UK also..

All feels like a bad dream..
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandtooz
oh we did this too, not buying anything - just in case, then a friend of mine said, no wonder you dont feel settled, your not putting down roots.........

so off i went shopping, looking at areas to live, houses, even got a puppy and guess what? we are off home in five weeks, after having to wait 6 months for our new pooch to get his rabies clearance!!

moral of the story - follow your gut instincts! we could have saved ourselves money and got home alot sooner!

goodluck

mandx
MandtoOz..

Can so relate to what u are saying..u feel unsettled as you arent putting down roots but then you are frightened to do so as it all becomes and even bigger mess...
feel for u and your little puppy..

Just a question for you..how long was it into your move here that you felt it wasnt right...how long did you give it??

was also wondering if anyone else is in Sydney and feels the same way I do..a lot of people seem to have gone to Perth or smaller towns up the east coast..would be great to meet up with others from Sydney...is anyone out there??
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:24 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

MandtoOz..

Can so relate to what u are saying..u feel unsettled as you arent putting down roots but then you are frightened to do so as it all becomes and even bigger mess...

Just a question for you..how long was it into your move here that you felt it wasnt right...how long did you give it??

was also wondering if anyone else is in Sydney and feels the same way I do..a lot of people seem to have gone to Perth or smaller towns up the east coast..would be great to meet up with others from Sydney...is anyone out there??

we came beg of july last yr, by the run up to xmas we knew it wasnt right! by end jan we knew were would go home, we collecting our doggy the week before xmas! trying desperatly to make it work...... we are nearly at a yr, so have given it a fair wack being unhappy!...........doesnt seem long looking back but it feels as though i have been unsettled for many moons! wouldnt want to be in your position again, its a very hard time, i feel for you.xx

mand
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

we came beg of july last yr, by the run up to xmas we knew it wasnt right! by end jan we knew were would go home, we collecting our doggy the week before xmas! trying desperatly to make it work...... we are nearly at a yr, so have given it a fair wack being unhappy!...........doesnt seem long looking back but it feels as though i have been unsettled for many moons! wouldnt want to be in your position again, its a very hard time, i feel for you.xx

mand
Where in Oz are you??

At least you are heading back with your partner...unfortunately it seems I will have to choose between mine and his country..is tough but thats the way it is..

We talked about getting a dog or cat also..but then thought no way..too much commitment..is crazy..

There are so many people on this site who are so unhappy...everyone at home thinks we are so lucky..that we lounge around the beach all day..is not like that at all...

Feel like a bit of a loser going home with my tail between my legs...but that isnt really important in the grand scheme of things..just hope I wont have regrets about not trying to make this work for longer..

aahhhh!!!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

I am in Sydney...been here just 4 months..came over with aussie fiance..
Miss family first and foremost..but are other factors about Oz that make me know in my heart I cant stay here for the rest of my life..

Unfortunately it looks like I am going back without my fiance as he doesnt want to live in UK..is all very sad..

Has been great to have found this site to feel like Im not the only one to feel this way..(my fiance cant understand why anyone wouldnt want to live in Oz and tells me to stop complaining and get on with things when I try to explain how I feel)..

How long did you give it before you decided enough was enough..do you have kids..is your partner from UK also..

All feels like a bad dream..
Thats really sad karni, I'm sorry to hear your fiance wont live in UK & doesnt understand.
I think for alot of people who've grown up here, well, its their home isnt it, so things a migrant may not like just arent an issue for them, same for us back home.
Yes, this site is great, wish I'd found it years ago!
I moved here in 2000 with my now ex. Was happy as for a good while just enjoying it, but I had doubts about long term living here. I moved home and then decided to give it another go as I'd not lived where we'd moved to Oz to try. Glad I did (apart from financial side). All the things Iwasnt sure about are still there.
I'm going home with Oz out of my system now, I know its a better holiday destination for me than a place to live long term.
You sound like you're wondering if you'd settle given time, who knows. Some people have and some have ended up here for years not feeling quite at home.
Good luck
xxx's
Tanya
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:49 am
Just Joined

franbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nice

MandtoOz..

yep, you can't win can you. I did the whole unsettled thing then decided i was unsettled because I wasn't committed to staying. So bought a car (which was a paperwork nightmare because of work permit situation), bought another puppy, bought stuff to set up business etc etc.

And no it didn't help, still unsettled but now I've just got more stuff to sort out and sell. Totally stressed about it all, waking up in the night to worry about the next hurdle to jump. Just want to get back to the UK now with the dogs, which is going to cost a fortune.

Its all been a very expensive exercise. I am sure with time I will look back on it as an adventure but at the moment I am just feeling what a total waste of time this was.

As for men, don't know about Aussie men, well I went out with one in the UK, but he wasn't typical, but South African men, now there's a challenged bunch. Have been here single and haven't met one that seems to be on the same planet as me, weird!!

Good luck to you all with your pondering and decisions, you'll get there.

Fran
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by franbrookes
yep, you can't win can you. I did the whole unsettled thing then decided i was unsettled because I wasn't committed to staying. So bought a car (which was a paperwork nightmare because of work permit situation), bought another puppy, bought stuff to set up business etc etc.

And no it didn't help, still unsettled but now I've just got more stuff to sort out and sell. Totally stressed about it all, waking up in the night to worry about the next hurdle to jump. Just want to get back to the UK now with the dogs, which is going to cost a fortune.

Its all been a very expensive exercise. I am sure with time I will look back on it as an adventure but at the moment I am just feeling what a total waste of time this was.

As for men, don't know about Aussie men, well I went out with one in the UK, but he wasn't typical, but South African men, now there's a challenged bunch. Have been here single and haven't met one that seems to be on the same planet as me, weird!!

Good luck to you all with your pondering and decisions, you'll get there.

Fran
Good luck to you too.
I've met some nice oz men over the 7 years but none on my planet either

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jun 26th 2007 at 7:58 am.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

goodluck

mandx

Oh we did this too!
Bought a house thinking we would be more settled, didn't.
! went back to UK for a holiday "just to see" and loved it!
Came back, couldn't settle, bought a puppy, Bella, and she is wonderfu but didn't make me feel any more settled than before! Poor dog has been to UK and back again, now going to go back again poor thing!!

When we left UK my gut instinct was to stay firmly where I was and I SOOOOOO wish I had listen to my gut instinct! We thought we could accept the Aus job offer, come back and be settled but it just hasn't happened.
Damn and double damn!!

To make matters worse my brother has had a mini stroke, had an op in UK and worried the life out of me, being over here has not helped one tiny bit it has made me realise just how important family really is. He is fine now and recovering.

Di
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Good luck to you too.
I've met some nice oz men over the 7 years but none on my planet either
yep..agree totally with the comment about aussie men..they are a rare breed (and I am engaged to one!)...

they are definetely different to British men...and to Irish men...(and sorry aussie men, not in a good way!)..

I should shut up before I get in trouble..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.