Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Feel They Are In Limboland?

Anyone Else Feel They Are In Limboland?

Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone Else Feel They Are In Limboland?

Originally Posted by karni31
yep..agree totally with the comment about aussie men..they are a rare breed (and I am engaged to one!)...

they are definetely different to British men...and to Irish men...(and sorry aussie men, not in a good way!)..

I should shut up before I get in trouble..
Plants..sorry to hear about your brother..hope it all works out for u..

I guess u are whats know as a ping-ponger...

When I left Australia after my first time here on working holiday I should have listened to my instinct...had a great time, Oz is lovely but cant want to see my family and get on with life back home...

instead I started a relationship with an aussie in London, spend a year and half getting a visa and am now back in Oz thinking what the hell have I done...

never again, eh?

your poor doggy Bella is well travelled through all this the poor mite...

like say..hope it all works out for u..
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

When I left Australia after my first time here on working holiday I should have listened to my instinct...had a great time, Oz is lovely but cant want to see my family and get on with life back home...

instead I started a relationship with an aussie in London, spend a year and half getting a visa and am now back in Oz thinking what the hell have I done...

never again, eh?

Hi

We do things in all good intentions thinking they are what we want for the future, its only when we have completed them that we realise otherwise! Ah love, makes us do foolish things ah!

Brother is fine, had an op and is recovering now.

Bella has handle all the travelling brilliantly, along with our cat too, shame we can't get air miles on them ah!! I could use them for a return flight home.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

never again, eh?

Karni, Oooh the irony eh! To meet an Oz when you got back home. Being here on whv is definaterly a completely different mindset to living here, thats for sure.

Good old gut instincts.
I started to doubt mine after moving back here thinking it was right, used to be so sure of decisions too! Mind you it was right for a time so am just being philosophical about it all now rather than questioning why I dont want to stay

Plants - I've been wondering how u r as I havent seen you about for a few days, your absence was noticed. Sorry about your brother.
If going home earlier is what you need to do, do it my dear. You're hubby'll be back with you before you know it.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PLANTS;4970011]Hi

We do things in all good intentions thinking they are what we want for the future, its only when we have completed them that we realise otherwise! QUOTE]

Ye wise wise woman
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice

[QUOTE=birdynumnum;4970047]
Originally Posted by PLANTS
Hi

We do things in all good intentions thinking they are what we want for the future, its only when we have completed them that we realise otherwise! QUOTE]

Ye wise wise woman
Yep...the benefit of hindsight eh...

Just wish it wasnt such a bloody expensive mistake...I know I shouldnt grumble as people have lost tens of thousands selling up property in Uk, flying an entire family out here, buying property here all the rest..

even though I came here with very little..I have still spent my life savings on flights, the visa, shipping and will be returning home with not a penny...have spent the guts of £1000 just shipping my stuff here and shipping it back again 4 months later..I should have just binned a lot of it and spent the money on a new wardrobe..
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Karni, Oooh the irony eh! To meet an Oz when you got back home. Being here on whv is definaterly a completely different mindset to living here, thats for sure.

Good old gut instincts.
I started to doubt mine after moving back here thinking it was right, used to be so sure of decisions too! Mind you it was right for a time so am just being philosophical about it all now rather than questioning why I dont want to stay

Plants - I've been wondering how u r as I havent seen you about for a few days, your absence was noticed. Sorry about your brother.
If going home earlier is what you need to do, do it my dear. You're hubby'll be back with you before you know it.
Hi birdynumnum, thanks for that, nice to know I am missed - and I mean that!
Sorry depression is a horrible thing and all the amount of tablets I am taking you would think I would be feeling great but I'm not, just hanging in there so to speak. Sorry to get morbid - thats one reason why I don't leave any comments, I read everything everyday on here though and it does help just hearing how others are handling things.

Brother is recovering now, all a bit of a shock, especially to him as he was in Florida on hols, went blind for 20 mins, got it back, came home, had it checked at hospital and discovered he has a blood clot which was, fortunately for him, going down to his heart and not up to his brain so they fixed it. One hell of a shock though for all of us as he is as fit as the preverbial fiddle! Ah but he smokes so has had to give them in under orders!

We have tried so hard to settle here, 3 times now, each time we go back to England and hubbie can't get a job in his area of work (and yes he has applied for other types of jobs too), each time one has been offered back here in Perth, so back we come, me tagging along not wanting to come back here but I do because I am married to the most fabulous guy who thinks the world of me. We WANT to settle in England, make a home, get jobs, schools sorted etc but the universe just seems to be saying it hasn't been our time.

I admire all of you that make a decision and stick to it come what may. You are all so much stronger than you think you are.

Sorry, enough said.

Your last comment had me laughing, wise wise woman, NOT!

Di

Last edited by PLANTS; Jun 26th 2007 at 8:56 am. Reason: or was it to the head? anyway, he was lucky!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=karni31;4970090]
Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Yep...the benefit of hindsight eh...

Just wish it wasnt such a bloody expensive mistake...I know I shouldnt grumble as people have lost tens of thousands selling up property in Uk, flying an entire family out here, buying property here all the rest..

even though I came here with very little..I have still spent my life savings on flights, the visa, shipping and will be returning home with not a penny...have spent the guts of £1000 just shipping my stuff here and shipping it back again 4 months later..I should have just binned a lot of it and spent the money on a new wardrobe..

Oh yes, and think of the fun shopping for all that new gear too!!

Aargh, clothes shops, dream on!!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=PLANTS;4970109]

Oh yes, and think of the fun shopping for all that new gear too!!

Aargh, clothes shops, dream on!!
Plants,

Your husband is a lucky guy to have such a supportive wife..must be heartbreaking to come back here again when your heart is at home..

Have felt pretty depressed also and have considered going to doctor..not sure if Oz is just the problem or something else..have you only felt bad when you are over in Perth?..

and yeah....good clothes shops..here??u must be kidding..there seems to be only one extreme (bargain basement cheaply made clothes made in Asia that fall apart on the second wearing) or the other extreme (cheaply made clothes that cost an arm and a leg from David Jones)..think would be saving my cash for togs back in the UK...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:17 am
Just Joined

franbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nice

We seem to spend so much time constantly pondering the do we stay do we go thing, and terrified of making the wrong decision. A lot of us are drawn back to the countries we travelled to time and time again still wanting to make a go of it, and to not want to admit defeat.

As much as I know its the right time for me to return to the UK, I am scared of how hard it will be to get back into it, to find a job, to find a house, etc etc and am I then going to miss the few goods things about South Africa and still going to be wondering what if I tried harder ???

Is it possible to settle back to life in the UK?

Fran
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=karni31;4970186]
Originally Posted by PLANTS
Plants,

Your husband is a lucky guy to have such a supportive wife..must be heartbreaking to come back here again when your heart is at home..

Have felt pretty depressed also and have considered going to doctor..not sure if Oz is just the problem or something else..have you only felt bad when you are over in Perth?..

and yeah....good clothes shops..here??u must be kidding..there seems to be only one extreme (bargain basement cheaply made clothes made in Asia that fall apart on the second wearing) or the other extreme (cheaply made clothes that cost an arm and a leg from David Jones)..think would be saving my cash for togs back in the UK...

I am lucky to have him too.

Life isn't straightforward for me, I have two grown up children, one married in Rugby and two grandkids and a grown up daughter here in Perth married to an Aussie and expecting her first child in December, plus I have a teenage son. If I could put them all in the one country I would but I can't.

Depression has been in my life on a off for years and years, sorted for a while with tablets, off, ok for a while then back on again. But I have to say it has probably been worse since emigrating here in 1996 because as good as this country is, and yes it is good and has a lot to offer people, it just doesn't hold my soul. Plain and simple I don't look out the window at the plants and scenery and go oooh arrgh look at that - I go "*@*X*@**", my camera hardly comes out unless its to take photos of my craft stuff either for my blog! How sad is that!

Oh and clothes shops, I meant dream on about clothes shopping in UK, not here, gee's, I'm not that mad! YET anyway!

Di
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Tim n Ollie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone Else Feel They Are In Limboland?

I just found this website this morning and its been really therapeutic to read some of the comments.
I returned to the UK in Jan after 7 years living in Melbourne. Had some wonderful times but never felt like I belonged. Stayed with it though but finally felt defeated. So now back and staying with my, (poor!) parents whilst trying to sort out work and think about renting somewhere - what happened to house prices over the last 7 years!!!
So my only thoughts really are that I'm glad of the experience but happy to be home and I take comfort that other people have also had the same experience and are working through it.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Its funny Plants what you say about a place holding your soul.
Where I live is actually unusually green and very beautiful, its hilly, theres cows in fields & horses (love that bit), lovely plants I love etc & I love it BUT....it doesnt touch me in the same way as back home, well not 10 mins down the road anyway. I remember going to NZ and the scenery there (and plants) stole my heart, just like when I went to Scotland & Tasmania, some places do it for you on a deep, basic level and some dont.
Your post about your camera says it all.
Big love
xxx

[QUOTE=PLANTS;4970256]

I am lucky to have him too.

Life isn't straightforward for me, I have two grown up children, one married in Rugby and two grandkids and a grown up daughter here in Perth married to an Aussie and expecting her first child in December, plus I have a teenage son. If I could put them all in the one country I would but I can't.

Depression has been in my life on a off for years and years, sorted for a while with tablets, off, ok for a while then back on again. But I have to say it has probably been worse since emigrating here in 1996 because as good as this country is, and yes it is good and has a lot to offer people, it just doesn't hold my soul. Plain and simple I don't look out the window at the plants and scenery and go oooh arrgh look at that - I go "*@*X*@**", my camera hardly comes out unless its to take photos of my craft stuff either for my blog! How sad is that!

Oh and clothes shops, I meant dream on about clothes shopping in UK, not here, gee's, I'm not that mad! YET anyway!

Di
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tim n Ollie
I just found this website this morning and its been really therapeutic to read some of the comments.
I returned to the UK in Jan after 7 years living in Melbourne. Had some wonderful times but never felt like I belonged. Stayed with it though but finally felt defeated. So now back and staying with my, (poor!) parents whilst trying to sort out work and think about renting somewhere - what happened to house prices over the last 7 years!!!
So my only thoughts really are that I'm glad of the experience but happy to be home and I take comfort that other people have also had the same experience and are working through it.
Hi there
I moved in 2000 here too.
Good choice Melbourne by the way.
Its weird moving back after time away isnt it. I did it 3 yrs ago but madly moved back.
Just wanted to wish you luck settling back in, getting sorted and remember to give it time in UK, I didnt
xx
T
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:03 am
Just Joined

franbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nicefranbrookes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tim n Ollie
Yes, I'm new to this site too, but it is really comforting to know other's are going through the same experiences.

That will be me, come November time, back with the parents, trying to decide where to live and having to sort out a job.

Hopefully by that time you will be sorted, keep us posted with your progress, it will be encouraging to hear how it all falls into place and you are happier than ever!!

Fran
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Tim n Ollie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for those thoughts and I'll certainly give the UK plenty of time before making any further moving decisions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.