Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Amarillo - the good and the bad

Amarillo - the good and the bad

Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amarillo - the good and the bad

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Well, she did herself no favours when she vetoed the concealed carry bill.

Edited to add: Wasn't it '94?
Yes, it was '94. It was also the year of the "Republican Landslide" which was a direct backlash to Clinton winning the presidential election. Richards lost mainly due to the superiority of the Republican political machine that Snowbunny eluded to AND the Democrats masochistic need to sabotage themselves whenever things are going well.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:01 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Yes, it was '94. It was also the year of the "Republican Landslide" which was a direct backlash to Clinton winning the presidential election. Richards lost mainly due to the superiority of the Republican political machine that Snowbunny eluded to AND the Democrats masochistic need to sabotage themselves whenever things are going well.
Well, the Panhandle isn't necessarily representative of TX as a whole. IIRC, way back when, this was the only part of TX to vote Goldwater, while the rest of the state backed native son LBJ.

Incidentally, one of LBJ's first acts, on becoming Pres, was to shut down Amarillo AFB...
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:10 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the Panhandle isn't necessarily representative of TX as a whole. IIRC, way back when, this was the only part of TX to vote Goldwater, while the rest of the state backed native son LBJ.

Incidentally, one of LBJ's first acts, on becoming Pres, was to shut down Amarillo AFB...
He was such a bastard.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:23 pm

He was such a bastard.
Not half!

TBH, I have a hard time attributing benign motives to any TX politician. Even my support for Medina was largely predicated on the hope that, as she was such a newcomer, some good might accidentally happen before she got her graft on.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:29 pm
WTF?

Not half!

TBH, I have a hard time attributing benign motives to any TX politician. Even my support for Medina was largely predicated on the hope that, as she was such a newcomer, some good might accidentally happen before she got her graft on.
I recently spent some time around one of the local Democrats who was running for office this time - he lost. Anyway, I honestly despise the guy, can't stand to even be in the same room as him. I found him to be a misogynistic egomaniac and really wanted to do him violence. When he lost I was thrilled due to my completely petty and vindictive nature. I've since decided that it does NOT do for me to get to know politicians on a personal level.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

...the Democrats masochistic need to sabotage themselves whenever things are going well.
Thank goodness for small mercies.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:50 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Well, she did herself no favours when she vetoed the concealed carry bill.

Edited to add: Wasn't it '94?
Yep it was '94 and the Luby's/Killeen murders happened in '91. It was used to make much more political hay out of concealed carry. Odd how we really do let the actions of one deranged individual have so much influence - precisely what they wanted and we said we wouldn't give them.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Odd how we really do let the actions of one deranged individual have so much influence - precisely what they wanted and we said we wouldn't give them.
I wish somebody would tell the Brady campaign that.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:05 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by md95065
On the plus side they do provide this handy map of the strip clubs, gay bars and adult bookstores in Amarillo ...
<snort>

That is really funny.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:08 pm

I recently spent some time around one of the local Democrats who was running for office this time - he lost. Anyway, I honestly despise the guy, can't stand to even be in the same room as him. I found him to be a misogynistic egomaniac and really wanted to do him violence. When he lost I was thrilled due to my completely petty and vindictive nature. I've since decided that it does NOT do for me to get to know politicians on a personal level.
You're not alone. A long time ago I did a term as a councillor, back in England. Jacked it in because of all the arseholes (i.e. politicians) I had to associate with.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
On the plus side they do provide this handy map of the strip clubs, gay bars and adult bookstores in Amarillo ...
You forgot St. Andrews Episcopal church, on the map of the damned because someone called it "Gay friendly".
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:12 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You forgot St. Andrews Episcopal church, on the map of the damned because someone called it "Gay friendly".
First Church of Christ Scientist
Last Updated by Raven on Sep 1, 2009

Man-centered church rather than Christ-centered

Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:13 pm
WTF?

Wildcat Bluff Nature Center

Behind the North building there is an earth circle. There is a pagan group in the Amarillo area with the same name. "Earth Circle" is one of the common names used for a worship area for pagans and witches.

Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

First Church of Christ Scientist

Man-centered church rather than Christ-centered

I should mark their "church" on a map and see how they like it.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:16 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Wildcat Bluff Nature Center

Behind the North building there is an earth circle.

I just looked at that. It appears to be a parking lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.