Is it just me?

Old Sep 27th 2004, 2:12 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
The UK hardly closes down for Christmass, in fact the shops open for longer hours in the run up to benefit from the increased sales, pubs and clubs have numerous party nights in and around Christmas. There is simply no comparison as most not all things only close for one day in the UK. Trying paying into nightclubs, then you know it's Christmas day!

I wholly agree with your point on abiding by the rules of the country you are in, it's simply obnoxious not to, although that can be a problem with some people here.

The guys I have the most respect for are the people who will be working outside at this time, that is dedication, either that or they have lost their minds!
I couldnt agree with u more Steve. The poor workers here are treated like s**t......just look at the poor workers toling in the sun all day and then hearing about their labour disputes cos' of unpaid wages and such.Terrible. No respect for them if u ask me.

Imagaine all those workers that died at the Airport Terminal Accident this afternoon. Apparently 10 have been killed and several are in critical condition and many are still trapped beneath the rubble. And to top it off, survivors are saying that the authorities took their own sweet time to respond to the disaster. :scared:

Terrible treatment of the less fortunate in this great country. They should be ashamed!

Check your local CNN, BBC News or SKY News channel for more info. I have seen a couple of UN-INFORMATIVE reports so far. You know how we love to brush the dirt under the rug!!!!

-Face81

Last edited by Face81; Sep 27th 2004 at 3:06 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 2:49 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Face81
I couldnt agree with u more Steve. The poor workers here are treated like s*#t......just look at the poor workers toling in the sun all day and then hearing about their labour disputes cos' of unpaid wages and such.Terrible. No respect for them if u ask me.
...and "the vision of Dubai" will be become a reality because of their sweat and blood. Dubai is run by the poverty and need of these workers
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:09 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
...and "the vision of Dubai" will be become a reality because of their sweat and blood. Dubai is run by the poverty and need of these workers
Too true Cherrypie! And the poor things get no recognition of their efforts all. I am shaking my head just thinking about the way they get treated sometimes.

Shame on the powers that be!

-Face81
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:24 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road

You'd think that the people who built this country (roads, building, etc.) would get more respect, but that aint the way its is here because if you work as they do, they prefer to let less of them (from the indian subcontinent) into the country now.

This is definately one long thread. Loved your posts Cherrypie about the scarf. I wonder where this topic will head next.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 5:28 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=steve stevenson]The UK hardly closes down for Christmass, in fact the shops open for longer hours in the run up to benefit from the increased sales, pubs and clubs have numerous party nights in and around Christmas. There is simply no comparison as most not all things only close for one day in the UK. Trying paying into nightclubs, then you know it's Christmas day!
QUOTE]

The same applies in Ramadan- the shops are open until 2am and the shisha coffee shops and restaurants are open all night. As far as the UK goes, in most aspects it does close down for a week, try getting a plumber out or something delivered.

There was an interview a few years ago on BBC World with the head of Dubai Aviation or somesuch and he stated that he was embarassed to be an Emirati when not a single brick or inch of tarmac was laid by a locals hand yet they claim all the credit for building a nation.

Also a few years ago there was a complaint by a Hindu run section of London which asked for all christmas decorations in their area to be taken down as it was offensive to their religion. I'm not from the UK, nor have I lived there for many years so I could be misquoting, but others seem to remember it too. I agree with the comment about leaving religion out of it and going with the facts.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 6:53 am
Just Joined

RAMver1.1 is an unknown quantity at this point

No - you are not alone.

Dubai is a desert region - oil was a blessing. Before that they were only nomads using the region as a trade route for spices frm India and silk frm China. So they have very little history. In the past 50 yrs they have made it into a oasis of wealth, but then what do you do in a country full of sand. Build, Build and Build build for the future. Thats the only way out - 50 yrs no oil, back to nomads thats what they dont want. Frankly Dubai is not such a hot spot as it used to be in the 80-90. Guys in India are getting payed between $5000 - $20,000 P.M in the tech field thats nowhere close to what dubai pays. So you have labour class people in the gulf drawing high salary compared to back home, thats why there is a obsession with saving they are there only to work and save - life takes a back seat.

Or does anyone else feel that Dubai is a cultural desert with no character or history and an obsession with ludicrous competitions.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:16 am
Just Joined

steve stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Also a few years ago there was a complaint by a Hindu run section of London which asked for all christmas decorations in their area to be taken down as it was offensive to their religion. I'm not from the UK, nor have I lived there for many years so I could be misquoting, but others seem to remember it too. I agree with the comment about leaving religion out of it and going with the facts.[/QUOTE]

This is the kind of crap that the UK government would actually stand for and would probably carry through the request.

How the hell could Christmas decorations be construed as offensive? They are give good light on very dark cold nights!

Some people always love to push the boundaries! But this is taking the piss!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Globetrotter is an unknown quantity at this point

But don't forget that most western countries have done (or are still doing) the same as what Dubai is doing. Locals don't want to do the work and so labour from other countries have to come in and do it. In europe the same happenned - ie. Turks, Morokans, etc. Now, they're not needed anymore - they are treated like socials outcasts, everything is being done to get "guest" worker populations down and immigration laws have tightened up.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Globetrotter
But don't forget that most western countries have done (or are still doing) the same as what Dubai is doing. Locals don't want to do the work and so labour from other countries have to come in and do it. In europe the same happenned - ie. Turks, Morokans, etc. Now, they're not needed anymore - they are treated like socials outcasts, everything is being done to get "guest" worker populations down and immigration laws have tightened up.
I work within the Construction Industry and that certainly isn't the case for the larger Construction companies in the UK as the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) would simply close them down and can fine up to £5 million for such actions.

The problem in the UK is these people working whilst claiming benefits. Which means they should be outcasted as it is the Brit' who has been working there all their life who are being ripped off.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:18 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
Also a few years ago there was a complaint by a Hindu run section of London which asked for all christmas decorations in their area to be taken down as it was offensive to their religion. I'm not from the UK, nor have I lived there for many years so I could be misquoting, but others seem to remember it too. I agree with the comment about leaving religion out of it and going with the facts.
This is the kind of crap that the UK government would actually stand for and would probably carry through the request.

How the hell could Christmas decorations be construed as offensive? They are give good light on very dark cold nights!

Some people always love to push the boundaries! But this is taking the piss![/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you there Steve. Lights and decorations are just that. There is no need to read into them like that from some religious point of view!

Did you hear people complaining when Dubai was all decked for the Millennium celebrations? The government even went so far as to organise 4 spectacular fireworks displays all along the creek at midnight. Religion has nothing to do with it. Its all about that feel good factor that unites people.

Decorations offending religious people? Please....its obsurd!

-Face81
Old Sep 28th 2004, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Globetrotter

I forgot to mention that the Directors can go to jail for a long time also. I think it is limited to 5 years, plus there can be additional time for Human Rights violations, something you definately wont get in the MIddle East.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:46 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Face81

Have to agree with you there Steve. Lights and decorations are just that. There is no need to read into them like that from some religious point of view!
Decorations offending religious people? Please....its obsurd!

-Face81
I adore Christmas lights and decorations...they really brighten up the winter evenings. I also love all the OTT Christmas festivities and general madness at this time of year. Could never understand people who take Winter breaks to get away from it all
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

CarolFraser is an unknown quantity at this point

I adore Christmas lights and decorations...they really brighten up the winter evenings. I also love all the OTT Christmas festivities and general madness at this time of year. Could never understand people who take Winter breaks to get away from it all
I agree up to a point. I really get p****d off when the Christmas thing starts in September & is totally in your face until the day itself. All the adverts for really expensive gadgets you should be buying for all your friends & relatives (yeah, right) get on my nerves too. I worked in insolvency for 13 years & our busiest time of year for personal bankruptcies was March/April when the bills from Christmas had becomes overdue. Sad but true.

I've also known way too many people who got really uptight & stressed about Christmas for about 3 months before hand with countless trips to the shops etc. Getting that worked up only ever has one outcome - disappointment from the anti-climax when the day arrives at last.

And about life in Dubai - the sun shines every day...
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:04 pm
Simply Brilliant

Originally Posted by CarolFraser
And about life in Dubai - the sun shines every day...
Yes, but for a good five months, you can only watch it shining from your window unless you want to collapse from heat exhaustion, esp. tough on kids.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

CarolFraser is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but for a good five months, you can only watch it shining from your window unless you want to collapse from heat exhaustion, esp. tough on kids.
Still beats pissing rain every day for weeks on end - or driving in snow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.