Is it just me?

Old Sep 26th 2004, 8:00 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Is it just me?

Originally Posted by Elles
I was having a giggle fit when I read this as I couldn't believe it!! Mind you, my hubby did then recite our marriage vows back at me, "love, honor and obey!" but as I remember I didn't agree to the "obey" in the church which also got a laugh on our wedding day!!!

But you are right......it does make you wonder how people live that way, but don't forget alot of places have been kept out of the modern world by their leaders.....

er Tony Blair? ok enuf allready....
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:29 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
already? time to change your signature...you're on the slippery slope again
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

steve stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry?

What is this supposed to mean?

Blair is an idiot granted, and his failings to pursue the interests of the British people (put in laymans terms, going into Iraq) will spell the end of his career, but the UK is covered under The European Human Rights Act 2000 and statutes such as GBH which gives people re-course against actions such as this. Since the beatings were over a prolonged period of time the women could probably have had him jailed and claimed for damages should he have a few bob.

Did you also notice that it didn't have any sentence attached? Only a demeand that the beating be stopped, so what's the chances of that happening?

If your trying to draw a comparison, your going the wrong way about it.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:39 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
Sorry?

What is this supposed to mean?

Blair is an idiot granted, and his failings to pursue the interests of the British people (put in laymans terms, going into Iraq) will spell the end of his career, but the UK is covered under The European Human Rights Act 2000 and statutes such as GBH which gives people re-course against actions such as this. Since the beatings were over a prolonged period of time the women could probably have had him jailed and claimed for damages should he have a few bob.

Did you also notice that it didn't have any sentence attached? Only a demeand that the beating be stopped, so what's the chances of that happening?

If your trying to draw a comparison, your going the wrong way about it.
SS. Is this a serious post or are you being funny? No really... I honestly can't tell?
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:18 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Poor Blair got the whole Bigley fiasco on his hands at the mo. His plans for a hike of uni fees in 2006 is one his policies that i find questionable! And not to mention the whole hunting ban.....he is on very thin ice already.

Atleast he hasnt gone as far as Chirac to implement the head-scarf ban. Now thats wot i call suppression of freedom...... wot do u reckon?

-Face81
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Elles is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Face81
Atleast he hasnt gone as far as Chirac to implement the head-scarf ban. Now thats wot i call suppression of freedom...... wot do u reckon?

-Face81
ban the headscarf!

hey, I'm in a muslim country at the mo and have to put up with ramadam - I respect the law of the country I'm in.....so if the law in France is no religious bits ie headscarfs then you respect the law of the country you are residing in, irrespective of your beliefs or religion. If they don't like it....go back to your country! come on Blair......ban it!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:08 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

ban the headscarf!

hey, I'm in a muslim country at the mo and have to put up with ramadam - I respect the law of the country I'm in.....so if the law in France is no religious bits ie headscarfs then you respect the law of the country you are residing in, irrespective of your beliefs or religion. If they don't like it....go back to your country! come on Blair......ban it!
My, my.....such a strong opinion.... I didnt mean to start a fire.....just needed an example to make a point.

Yeah I do agree that the way some nations (we all know which ONES i am refering to) impose Ramadan on non-muslims is extremely unfair. But we have to look at the flip side of the coin here, other larger muslim countries like Malaysia or Indonesia do not close up for the month and clamp down on those eating/drinking in public.

I mean one should respect the laws of the land and not go around flaunting food/drink infront of those fasting, but surely it should be a matter left to individuals to sort out. I agree with u.

Just one thing to point out to Elles....If u want to break rules, its not like u wud b arrested or anything. I can give u a perfect example....New Years Eve, Jumeirah Beach......thousands of expats drinking and making merry on the beaches and literally walking on the streets with glasses of wine and champaign.....obviously no one was arrested.....but as u said, it is important to respect the laws of ur adopted home and as u rightly proclaimed "If they don't like it....go back to your country!"

As for the head scarf ban......I am a fence sitter on this one. I say that all religious symbols should be banned from schools. That would help instill and strengthen values of equality for all in children. So it might be a good thing. Again on the other hand, maybe people should be able to dress the way they want? I dunno......cant decide......too much of a wishy washy subject. I mean you cud be religious, but leave the religion at home? I dunno. tough one.

-Face81
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
SS. Is this a serious post or are you being funny? No really... I honestly can't tell?
Wasn't to sure of the original post intimating how Blair and the Uk had been linked to leaders keeping their countries in the past, and was drawing a comparison.

I do think Blair is an idiot who doesn't follow the true meaning of democracy, for instance all those people protesting that we didn't go into Iraq.

There isn't much of a comparison between UK and Iran. We are allowed to protest after all.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:18 pm
Simply Brilliant

ban the headscarf!

You respect the law of the country you're in, by putting up with Ramadan? Is that a bit like a non-Christian putting up with Christmas festivities from mid-October onwards in the UK?

Ban the headscarf??!! How can anybody in their right mind implement a law banning a piece of fabric that covers someone's head? What danger, risk or possible harm can come from wearing it? What justification is there for such an infringement of someone's freedom to choose? The headscarf interferes in no way with anybody or anything. Does it offend Christianity..assuming France is a Christian country? No.

There is actually no comparison between Ramadan in Dubai and the headscarf ban in France, Elles....what's your point? If Chirac had banned the thong, I'd have sort of understood it.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:22 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
You respect the law of the country you're in, by putting up with Ramadan? Is that a bit like a non-Christian putting up with Christmas festivities from mid-October onwards in the UK?

Ban the headscarf??!! How can anybody in their right mind implement a law banning a piece of fabric that covers someone's head? What danger, risk or possible harm can come from wearing it? What justification is there for such an infringement of someone's freedom to choose? The headscarf interferes in no way with anybody or anything. Does it offend Christianity..assuming France is a Christian country? No.

There is actually no comparison between Ramadan in Dubai and the headscarf ban in France, Elles....what's your point? If Chirac had banned the thong, I'd have sort of understood it.
I have to agree......well said Cherrypie......Nice Lara Croft avatar btw!

-Face81
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:25 pm
Simply Brilliant

I have to agree......well said Cherrypie......Nice Lara Croft avatar btw!

-Face81
It's not Lara Croft
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

I dunno......cant decide......too much of a wishy washy subject. I mean you cud be religious, but leave the religion at home? I dunno. tough one.

-Face81
[/QUOTE]

Head scarf thing? Sorry can't understand the frogs on that one at all, what's up with people just getting on with things. I left my religion behind years ago, but don't knock anyone for praying or whatever else their religion requires mosque, church whatever. Although for we who don't care please don't put it in our faces and we will do likewise.

I still can't understand what difference it makes if someone is a differenet religion, I mean if their is a God, would he/she really want you to kill another of his/her creations? Don't think so somehow and anyone noticed how you don't get atheist extremists blowing people up?
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

If Chirac had banned the thong, I'd have sort of understood it.[/QUOTE]

On a very serious note, there is no way you can stop making any women wear thongs! It's their choice and we men are pleased to see that some are making it!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:40 pm
Simply Brilliant

I mean one should respect the laws of the land and not go around flaunting food/drink infront of those fasting, but surely it should be a matter left to individuals to sort out. I agree with u.

This is a respect issue as much as anything else. Not eating or drinking from sunrise to sunset can be difficult in the Middle East's harsh climate, so the law regarding the consumption of food and drink is there to make it easier. Also, it's a blanket rule for everyone...it doesn't discriminate. It's not something which causes anyone undue hardship or problems...you can still eat what you want when you want...unless you happen to be a Muslim
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:44 pm
Simply Brilliant

Originally Posted by steve stevenson
Wasn't to sure of the original post intimating how Blair and the Uk had been linked to leaders keeping their countries in the past, and was drawing a comparison.

I do think Blair is an idiot who doesn't follow the true meaning of democracy, for instance all those people protesting that we didn't go into Iraq.

There isn't much of a comparison between UK and Iran. We are allowed to protest after all.
That was Joseph's humour! I know...sad isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.