Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha British Expat Soiree

Doha British Expat Soiree

Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:23 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha British Expat Soiree

Originally Posted by Alexa
I have sent you a PM. QL? REALLY????
That's what I thought.............
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
That's what I thought.............
Indeed...and the next question would be...WHY???
Mind you, there may be 1 or 2 acceptable people on there as of now.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You should never mix forums...
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:49 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
You should never mix forums...
Got to agree. And that one is the worst. If I have to venture on there to look at a car etc when I look at the topic list it makes me cringe...........

usual classics include:

How get visa?
Driving way, I hate (On there now)
Family husband Visa postponed, means!!!!!! (Also on there now)

Half the table could be wearing brown shiny shirts and nursing one pint of Kingfisher all night
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:38 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

QL's full of South East Asian types.

Damn. Did I say that out loud again?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree. And that one is the worst. If I have to venture on there to look at a car etc when I look at the topic list it makes me cringe...........

usual classics include:

How get visa?
Driving way, I hate (On there now)
Family husband Visa postponed, means!!!!!! (Also on there now)

Half the table could be wearing brown shiny shirts and nursing one pint of Kingfisher all night
True. Which is not really a problem, but there are too many people on QL who are rather set on hating Western people, their culture and all that comes with it. And they do take immense pleasure on frequently airing that view.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:50 pm
Shark Fisherman

True. Which is not really a problem, but there are too many people on QL who are rather set on hating Western people, their culture and all that comes with it. And they do take immense pleasure on frequently airing that view.
That's a massive problem, I'm not buying a round and waiting 5 hours to get 1 back!!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:51 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

People HATING other cultures? No way!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's a massive problem, I'm not buying a round and waiting 5 hours to get 1 back!!
Ah yes, looking at it from THAT side, it is totally unacceptable!
But, there is a solution. Once all others have finished, tell Kingfisher aficionado to buy a round...blunt, but when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Noooooooooo, of course not!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol... to be honest, QL is the forum I found first, was of not much help though. I learned how to get around from this forum and really helped me settle my head a bit..

Similarly a lot of people from UK initially stumble on QL. So I havent set up a post or anything, there was one british female looking for some social setting and I invited her to ours meetup on Thursday.

I hope that's ok.

Actual details of the get together is:

Date and time: August 30th, 7:30 onward
Venue: Irish Bar at Sheraton

Btw, I am of south asian descent as well, so dont be shy saying hello when you arrive there :-)

I am sure it wont be really busy and we should be able to find each other. I have shared my number with whoever PM'ed me.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Hate is a bit of a stronger word. I think its more the case of currency conversion issues. To make it worthwhile for a westerner, companies have to pay higher than a sub-con employee for similar job. Of course I am not getting into details of who can do better job, etc. However, what I gathered was that a lot of sub-cons think the westerners get paid a lot more for doing not much.

They also have similar feelings towards locals...................I am sure education and rise of eastern economies will balance this over a period of time. I already see some of the sub-cons working in London deciding to pack it up for greener pastures in India (again that's the educated and experienced professional class, not the generally sub-standard version we find in ME).
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:29 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by AirBender
Hate is a bit of a stronger word. I think its more the case of currency conversion issues. To make it worthwhile for a westerner, companies have to pay higher than a sub-con employee for similar job. Of course I am not getting into details of who can do better job, etc. However, what I gathered was that a lot of sub-cons think the westerners get paid a lot more for doing not much.

They also have similar feelings towards locals...................I am sure education and rise of eastern economies will balance this over a period of time. I already see some of the sub-cons working in London deciding to pack it up for greener pastures in India (again that's the educated and experienced professional class, not the generally sub-standard version we find in ME).
It was an oblique reference to the zebra crossing thread.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Avon_Lady is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying to pluck up courage to come along tomorrow night too...

I only arrived yesterday so everything is a little daunting at the moment!
What sort of age range is everyone? (I'm late 30's).
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Avon_Lady
I'm trying to pluck up courage to come along tomorrow night too...

I only arrived yesterday so everything is a little daunting at the moment!
What sort of age range is everyone? (I'm late 30's).
Welcome to Doha!
Do come along, it will be fun. I think most people will be in their 30's to .......errrm, well, let's see

Make sure you have your passport with you, as I assume you do not have your RP yet? Have not been at the Harp for ages, but I think you need ID to get in.
See you tomorrow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.