Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Brownsugarccf
I went to Westways in Crookes and King Edwards Vii school. Always been in S6
Several of my cousins went to St Edwards.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:55 pm
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chayowl
Oh believe me it is a shock indeed, I have been here 10 months now and am still getting used to a lot of things. I do love it over here, we live right by the ocean in a nice part of the country, I do think getting used to the size of the place and the distances that you can travel is the thing that most gets me, no jumping on the bus and popping down to Hillsborough, everywhere seems to be a bit of a drive, a school baseball game can be a 30 mile drive..
Well I am bracing myself for a commute. I currently grumble trekking from S6 to near Meadowhall lol!

I wish I was destined for an ocean view but there are some lovely lakes and parks within 20 minutes or so.

Have you moved for work or through marriage?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am bracing myself for a commute. I currently grumble trekking from S6 to near Meadowhall lol!

I wish I was destined for an ocean view but there are some lovely lakes and parks within 20 minutes or so.

Have you moved for work or through marriage?
Through marriage, I met my now wife on Facebook just over 4 years ago, we chatted for a while and really hit it off so after a couple of years Steph came to Sheffield and on her second visit we got married at the Town Hall, we have been married now for 2 years and as I mentioned before I have been here 10 months, all of the time from getting married was sorting out my visa to move over here. Steph has 2 children so it made much more sense for me to move over here instead of uprooting 2 baseball fanatic boys. I do miss some things about England but the good points of over here make it not too much of a pain. I do miss Saturday afternoon at the Horse and Jockey and then walking down to watch a match but we can't have everything
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:26 pm
Newbie yet to move

Brownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond reputeBrownsugarccf has a reputation beyond repute

Through marriage, I met my now wife on Facebook just over 4 years ago, we chatted for a while and really hit it off so after a couple of years Steph came to Sheffield and on her second visit we got married at the Town Hall, we have been married now for 2 years and as I mentioned before I have been here 10 months, all of the time from getting married was sorting out my visa to move over here. Steph has 2 children so it made much more sense for me to move over here instead of uprooting 2 baseball fanatic boys. I do miss some things about England but the good points of over here make it not too much of a pain. I do miss Saturday afternoon at the Horse and Jockey and then walking down to watch a maJtch but we can't have everything
Joys of the internet! . We met online and 2 years in we just know this is it for us. He had a really good job and i have little in comparison here so decided to give it a go. Time will tell! My main worry is the annual leave and being able to visit home.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

Joys of the internet! . We met online and 2 years in we just know this is it for us. He had a really good job and i have little in comparison here so decided to give it a go. Time will tell! My main worry is the annual leave and being able to visit home.
Joys indeed..I am sure you will quickly settle down and enjoy the life over here, there are a few food items that I miss but not too many. the weather down here is great for the most part if not a little bit too hot at times, it's been in the 90's for a while now, thank heavens for the air conditioning or life would be unbearable a good few months of the year.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Joys indeed..I am sure you will quickly settle down and enjoy the life over here, there are a few food items that I miss but not too many. the weather down here is great for the most part if not a little bit too hot at times, it's been in the 90's for a while now, thank heavens for the air conditioning or life would be unbearable a good few months of the year.
Henderson's Relish, Cunningham's pickled onions and piccalilli spring to mind.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:52 pm
Newbie yet to move

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hendersons....hmmmmm
I take a bottle each trip!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:53 pm
Newbie yet to move

It was 90 last week, i gamely decided to go for a walk and lasted 10 minutes!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hendersons....hmmmmm
I take a bottle each trip!
Much better on chips than vinegar.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Pork Pies, Sausage Rolls, Proper Bread, Cornish Pasties, Heinz Baked Beans to name a few. Just managed to get 4 bottles of HP from the World Market which was a real treat
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:05 pm
Newbie yet to move

Pork Pies, Sausage Rolls, Proper Bread, Cornish Pasties, Heinz Baked Beans to name a few. Just managed to get 4 bottles of HP from the World Market which was a real treat

That may help my diet!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I can buy Heinz Baked Beans at my local supermarket. Took me a few years but I managed to find quite a few places that sell British goodies. Also take a look online ie Amazon.,
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Seems theres a lot of Wednesday fans on here and not a lot of b*ades.

Must be something to do with us being massive
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

I can buy Heinz Baked Beans at my local supermarket. Took me a few years but I managed to find quite a few places that sell British goodies. Also take a look online ie Amazon.,
I must say I do like Bush Baked beans and a few other US versions of English foods, it is just the stuff like Pork Pies that are unheard of here that I do miss. All in all US food is actually pretty good, it just takes a little while to get used to the taste of staple foods, I don't know if it is more sugar or whatever but after so long things taste pretty much the same as back home.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I must say I do like Bush Baked beans and a few other US versions of English foods, it is just the stuff like Pork Pies that are unheard of here that I do miss. All in all US food is actually pretty good, it just takes a little while to get used to the taste of staple foods, I don't know if it is more sugar or whatever but after so long things taste pretty much the same as back home.
Until you go home and realise the orange juice tastes a little tart...the bread and milk only lasts a couple of days. You don't have to hold a slice of bread down to prevent it from floating to the ceiling...and you don't get white flakes falling into your tea/coffee when you unscrew the top off the milk.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2013 at 2:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.