Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I totally understand and agree...

I just like to watch anything from the area where I came, it takes me back, the Music in both firms was good too, its all childhood memories for me and thats usually a good thing.
Oh I am very much the same, I have only been an expat for 9 months but love to see anything from around the Yorkshire area. as you say it's the music that really brings back the times, I love to hear 70's 80;s music in films, Billy Elliot to name but one really caught the mood of the time and had the right music too..
Old Aug 4th 2013, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chayowl
Oh I am very much the same, I have only been an expat for 9 months but love to see anything from around the Yorkshire area. as you say it's the music that really brings back the times, I love to hear 70's 80;s music in films, Billy Elliot to name but one really caught the mood of the time and had the right music too..
There you go another really good film...

Look out for The Last of the Summer wine on your PBS station, it used to be on 5-6 times a week but now its just once show a week, they are yonks old and Ive seen them all before but who cares...

Ive been here 37 years and always pick up old Dvds on trips back home, I love the TV stuff from 60s and 70s...

My wife and I watch as much UK Tv as possible, via PBS and Netflix... Surely youve seen DCI Banks...

You might like Little Voice shot in Scarborough...
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

There you go another really good film...

Look out for The Last of the Summer wine on your PBS station, it used to be on 5-6 times a week but now its just once show a week, they are yonks old and Ive seen them all before but who cares...

Ive been here 37 years and always pick up old Dvds on trips back home, I love the TV stuff from 60s and 70s...

My wife and I watch as much UK Tv as possible, via PBS and Netflix... Surely youve seen DCI Banks...

You might like Little Voice shot in Scarborough...
I use tunnelbear to watch BBCI player, Only Connect is still one that I love to watch, nothing like that over here, same as Pointless, HIGNFY, QI, all really good shows. Little Voice I have seen many many times, just as much for how good Jane Horrocks is as much as anything. I did see some DCI Banks before I left, I do like detective shows that are a bit edgy, Wire In The Blood, Rebus, Silent Witness but also the easy going ones like, Blue Murder, Midsummer Murders, Morse and Lewis, the last series I really got into was the update of Sherlock Holmes with the Cummerbatch chap, the sort of program the beeb do really well.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I use tunnelbear to watch BBCI player, Only Connect is still one that I love to watch, nothing like that over here, same as Pointless, HIGNFY, QI, all really good shows. Little Voice I have seen many many times, just as much for how good Jane Horrocks is as much as anything. I did see some DCI Banks before I left, I do like detective shows that are a bit edgy, Wire In The Blood, Rebus, Silent Witness but also the easy going ones like, Blue Murder, Midsummer Murders, Morse and Lewis, the last series I really got into was the update of Sherlock Holmes with the Cummerbatch chap, the sort of program the beeb do really well.
You seem very connected to the UK, the internet has made that possible for many, I've never tried any of the routes that give me BBC or ITV direct from the UK.

When we first arrived I was lucky to see three or four British shows a week, that's how it was in the 70's, back then TV was Game shows, Oprah, Ricky Lake, Phil Donahue and soaps in the daytime, with cop shows in the evenings.

I know Wire In The Blood, Rebus, Silent Witness, Midsummer Murders, Blue Murder, Morse and Lewis, most have been shown here.

BBC America arrived about ten years ago and that made life much more enjoyable.

We had Coro in the 80s but that only lasted a short time.

I researched "Only Connect", you are right they don't have shows like that here, I don't think we ever have, I haven't heard of Pointless, HIGNFY or QI...

Little Voice was great for the Yorkshire connection, I'm a big fan of Michael Caine so that was a treat too.

Last Tango in Halifax was a great series, I hope to see series two.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Chayowl.

The fir crowned heights of Norton, the sweet vale of Beaucheif, the purple moor of Totley and
the barren hills of the Peak"

Where does that quote some from?, I know all those places.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Chayowl.

The fir crowned heights of Norton, the sweet vale of Beaucheif, the purple moor of Totley and
the barren hills of the Peak"

Where does that quote some from?, I know all those places.
I am on a site called Sheffield history and at one point was doing a lot of research into Sheffield pubs past and present and came across the quote in a Magazine from the 1900's called The Gentleman's Magazine. It really seemed to describe Sheffield so well and i adopted it as my signature.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Brassed Off's ont Pivot channel. Meks mi miss hom n no messin
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I am on a site called Sheffield history and at one point was doing a lot of research into Sheffield pubs past and present and came across the quote in a Magazine from the 1900's called The Gentleman's Magazine. It really seemed to describe Sheffield so well and i adopted it as my signature.
I'm on the Sheffield forum too, I love the History threads..
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... It really seemed to describe Sheffield so well and i adopted it as my signature.
Ah yes, the bits of Sheffield I best remember as a child. My parents' house was not far from Beauchief, and we could see the moors near Totley in the distance from the back of the house.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Brassed Off's ont Pivot channel. Meks mi miss hom n no messin
I love that film, its one of my favorites, my Dad was a coal miner for 35 yrs and played in the local mines band...
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sheffield does of course feature in what is surely one of the worst films ever made. That is of course When Saturday Comes, it has no redeeming features at all, everything about it is bad including the fact its a "blunt" tribute film
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sheffield does of course feature in what is surely one of the worst films ever made. That is of course When Saturday Comes, it has no redeeming features at all, everything about it is bad including the fact its a "blunt" tribute film
Wow thanks for that tip, I've never seen that film and it might be crap as you say but I'm going to watch it, it features Sheffield's own Sean Bean and Brassed offs Pete Postlethwaite.

I've just watch the trailer and see names of advertisers around the Blades pitch at Bramall Road, as a kid of 19 I was invited to a Wedding at Bramall lane, what a night that at was...

Sheffield holds such good memories for me, good or bad I will watch anything featuring Sheffield...
Old Sep 1st 2013, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Wow thanks for that tip, I've never seen that film and it might be crap as you say but I'm going to watch it, it features Sheffield's own Sean Bean and Brassed offs Pete Postlethwaite.

I've just watch the trailer and see names of advertisers around the Blades pitch at Bramall Road, as a kid of 19 I was invited to a Wedding at Bramall lane, what a night that at was...

Sheffield holds such good memories for me, good or bad I will watch anything featuring Sheffield...
I must admit having read the reviews for the film the only reason I watched it was for the Sheffield settings. Another Sheffield based film and another with Pete Postlethwaite is Among Giants, if you haven't seen it that is well worth a watch.

I see you are an S6 er, is the fish n chips name after Taplin Road chippy by any chance My mum lived about a minute walk from there..
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I must admit having read the reviews for the film the only reason I watched it was for the Sheffield settings. Another Sheffield based film and another with Pete Postlethwaite is Among Giants, if you haven't seen it that is well worth a watch.

I see you are an S6 er, is the fish n chips name after Taplin Road chippy by any chance My mum lived about a minute walk from there..
I watched Among Giants years ago and loved it, you are right its a good film...

Sorry about the name, I struggled finding a name as I came up with so many good ones, I feel like a Fish out of Water living here, that was my number 2 contender, I just went with the obvious as I love Fish n Chips, 56 is the year I was born, I actually worked in Attercliffe and lived in Beighton, that was before Crystal Peaks appeared on the map...

I still visit great chippys I went to as a kid, but the three I went to in Attercliffe have been knocked down...
Old Sep 1st 2013, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

sugarcoated is an unknown quantity at this point

East Yorkshire, in West Michigan right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.