Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed! Timing question.

Overwhelmed! Timing question.

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overwhelmed! Timing question.

Hi.

First of possibly many naive questions but I've not done this before, nor did I ever expect to.
I have read a lot on here and will continue to do so.

I'm in the UK and am marrying a US citizen.
She applied for the K1 visa and has had the first NOA.

I have a flight booked to go over to the US for Xmas period but don't see that getting in the way.
Looking at the usual time scale it seems I could get notification in Feb/Mar.

How long does it normally take once I get the paperwork/clearance to start proceedings here?
As in, how long to arrange medical? Then how long for interview?
and anything I may have missed out.

Obviously I'm not looking for exact times, just a rough guide
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed! Timing question.

Originally Posted by Jonion
Hi.

First of possibly many naive questions but I've not done this before, nor did I ever expect to.
I have read a lot on here and will continue to do so.

I'm in the UK and am marrying a US citizen.

I have a flight booked to go over to the US for Xmas period but don't see that getting in the way.

How long does it normally take once I get the paperwork/clearance to start proceedings here?

Obviously I'm not looking for exact times, just a rough guide
Hi and Welcome to BE.

Just figure 8 - 10 months for the entire process. About 5 months for the I-129F approval, the remainder of the time for your medical and visa process in the UK.

With the current US government shutdown, it could be longer...but no one can say for sure.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Best to get the terminology correct right from the start. She has filed an I-129F petition. The petition establishes the relationship between a USC and a non-USC. Once the petition is approved, you apply for the K-1 visa.

It should not, correct.

It'll take about 5 months or so for the I-129F to be approved.

Once the I-129F is approved, your case file will eventually be sent to the US Consular Service in London. That alone can take 8-12 weeks. Once it arrives, you will be notified, and will then be invited to apply for the visa.

Once you get notification and have the LND case number, you can book a medical. Once that's done, you send back the checklist, and then your interview is scheduled. Probably about 4-8 weeks after the medical is done. Don't have the medical done too soon, because your visa will be valid only for 6 months from the date of the medical.

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I'm also slightly concerned that I might have a change of address during this time (more likely the longer it takes) and wasn't sure if this would affect things badly.

And whilst typing that had a call from the gf as she's had an email from USCIS today asking for more info. (weird co-incidence)
TBH she sent that much I thought she'd overdone it.
No idea what they want until she gets the letter though.

Last edited by Jonion; Oct 3rd 2013 at 4:23 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I might have a change of address during this time (more likely the longer it takes) and wasn't sure if this would affect things badly.
Do you anticipate changing addresses before or after you are invited to apply for the visa? If before... well, you take your chances! If after, perhaps you can provide a more stable address for the K-1 application.

Ian
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Do you anticipate changing addresses before or after you are invited to apply for the visa? If before... well, you take your chances! If after, perhaps you can provide a more stable address for the K-1 application.

Ian
At this point I have no idea.
Only holding on to this property until I know if I get to move to the US or not.
But want to leave it asap really.
Market forces dictate timing more than anything.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

And whilst typing that had a call from the gf as she's had an email from USCIS today asking for more info.

Well we now know what this RFE is all about.
Seems both our first divorce docs are ineligible and they've asked for another copy.
No idea how legible they need to be as mine is as legible as it ever was despite being over 20yrs old. The court and date stamp are almost unreadable but everything else is perfectly OK.
Oh well, The OH is sending in new copies asap so hopefully they'll be OK.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we now know what this RFE is all about.
Seems both our first divorce docs are ineligible and they've asked for another copy.
No idea how legible they need to be as mine is as legible as it ever was despite being over 20yrs old. The court and date stamp are almost unreadable but everything else is perfectly OK.
Oh well, The OH is sending in new copies asap so hopefully they'll be OK.
I think you mean "illegible" (unable to be read clearly), rather than "ineligible" (legally or officially unable to be considered for a position or benefit).

Sounds like an easy fix, which is good!

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think you mean "illegible" (unable to be read clearly), rather than "ineligible" (legally or officially unable to be considered for a position or benefit).
Nope, unfortunately I was directly quoting with 'ineligible'.
After looking at mine I assumed they may have meant 'illegible'

Seems not everyone uses English how it should be.

Upon speaking to a person there (asking if it were incorrect etc.), they said that it was technically neither, they cannot find one particular document so request it be sent again (or maybe for the first time).
so maybe 'missing' was what they meant.
Who knows, I just try to give them what they ask for.

Anyway, as you say, should be a nice easy fix at least.
During the waiting period we were both obviously imagining all sorts of random and irrelevant issues they may have come up with.

This stuff doesn't help stress levels does it!?
And I rarely get stressed.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:11 pm

LOL, indeed!

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

A document that is illegible would be ineligible.

Regards, JEff

Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
A document that is illegible would be ineligible.
So does it also follow that a document that they never had would be illegible?
And if they hadn't got it, how would they know?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:32 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You posted that you had sent the documents in question.

Regards, JEff
So does it also follow that a document that they never had would be illegible?
And if they hadn't got it, how would they know?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You posted that you had sent the documents in question.
No I didn't as it happens.

Then upon finding out from them.....
they cannot find one particular document so request it be sent again (or maybe for the first time).
Pedants rule
Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have an update and now the (not so) silent panic begins.

The OH received the 2nd NOA today.
It gave a date at the end of Feb when it is valid until.
This part confuses me a little as to what will happen then.

I guess this is where the inane questions will start to crop up.

Such as...
When can I get the police report? Does it have a valid time?
I'm in the US from mid-Nov to mid-Jan and it looks like the paperwork from the US Embassy could be here before I get back.

I'm also trying to get my GP's practice to get my vaccination records, they've given me ones back to 1993 so far. Not much use really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.