Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed! Timing question.

Overwhelmed! Timing question.

Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed! Timing question.

Originally Posted by Jonion
I The OH received the 2nd NOA today.
It gave a date at the end of Feb when it is valid until.
This part confuses me a little as to what will happen then.
If it ends up taking longer than February to get your K-1 visa interview, then the ConOff will automatically extend the validity of the NOA2 beyond Feb. You might have to bring updated letters of intent to the interview, but nothing bad will happen if it takes longer than Feb.

When can I get the police report?
Anytime now. Most definitely before your medical exam, because you need to take a copy of it with you.

Does it have a valid time?
1 year from issue date, I believe.

I'm in the US from mid-Nov to mid-Jan and it looks like the paperwork from the US Embassy could be here before I get back.
It's sent by email nowadays, so you can still get it while you're inside the USA. I believe part of the visa application is online now, too. But for a K-1 visa, they won't schedule an interview until they receive the medical results from the doctor.

I'm also trying to get my GP's practice to get my vaccination records, they've given me ones back to 1993 so far. Not much use really.
That's OK, no biggie.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing at all will happen.

When can I get the police report? Does it have a valid time?
You can get the police report at any time. You'll need it before you have the medical since you'll need to take a copy with you. The police report is valid for 12 months for US immigration purposes, even if it says it's only valid for 6 months.

I'm in the US from mid-Nov to mid-Jan and it looks like the paperwork from the US Embassy could be here before I get back.
That won't be a problem at all. Once you get home, respond to the paperwork as you see fit. It's not like your case file will be closed or anything. They'll wait up to a year for you to respond before considering the case abandoned. A few months? Hardly worth working up a sweat!

Ian
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Working up a sweat is pretty easy right now

I'll see if I can get the police report sorted before I leave here then.

Cheers both for the quick replies and at least easing some of the tension.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Any input appreciated on my most recent concerns/queries.

Have been on the phone to ask for help on the ACRO application. Was pretty much a waste of time tbh.

So can anyone help with what would require a 'yes' to the convictions etc question.
I'm thinking that traffic offences (speeding and an old no-insurance) wouldn't be relevant (according to what the chap at acro said).
But what about a court appearance for non-payment of Poll tax (yes it was that long ago) ?
And possibly a non-payment of fines (from the previous traffic offences) ?

Are any of these worthy of a 'yes' ?
And if so will it matter if my dates are maybe a years out?
These are all 15+ years ago so you can see why I'm a bit vague.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Usually Council Tax non-payment is a civil matter, dealt with in civil courts, who have different means available to them (garnishment/wage orders, liens on property etc and issuing a County Court Judgement etc)

Not turning up to court turns it into an arrestable offence, which is a criminal matter. Did you turn up to court and state your case?

Any input appreciated on my most recent concerns/queries.

Have been on the phone to ask for help on the ACRO application. Was pretty much a waste of time tbh.

So can anyone help with what would require a 'yes' to the convictions etc question.
I'm thinking that traffic offences (speeding and an old no-insurance) wouldn't be relevant (according to what the chap at acro said).
But what about a court appearance for non-payment of Poll tax (yes it was that long ago) ?
And possibly a non-payment of fines (from the previous traffic offences) ?

Are any of these worthy of a 'yes' ?
And if so will it matter if my dates are maybe a years out?
These are all 15+ years ago so you can see why I'm a bit vague.

Last edited by hoffage123; Nov 12th 2013 at 1:35 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

vanillanix is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an update and now the (not so) silent panic begins.

The OH received the 2nd NOA today.

I guess this is where the inane questions will start to crop up.

Such as...
When can I get the police report? Does it have a valid time?

I'm also trying to get my GP's practice to get my vaccination records, they've given me ones back to 1993 so far. Not much use really.
Hey there!

Okay so... the ACRO/Police Report doesn't really have a period of validity but US Embassies 'prefer' it to be less than 6months old for obvious reasons. Just remember that you need to have a police certificate for every country you've lived in for more than 6 months from the age of 16. Start looking into the process of getting one soon, the NOA2 is your prompt to get your documents together.. personally, I'd wait a few weeks until you've verified your packet has been forwarded to the NVC.

With regards to your vaccinations, try and get everything you can - if you can't prove you've had it then you'll end up paying Knightbridge docs to get them out of the way there and then when you go for your medical, and the prices aren't cheap! You CAN go and get the vaccinations done elsewhere, show them the proof and then they'll forward your medical to the embassy but after all the waiting so far, no one wants to wait any longer do they. It's been a long time since I was there, BUT the vaccination requirements are easy to find online, so you can get any ones you haven't had from your GP beforehand.

Good luck!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanillanix
... the ACRO/Police Report doesn't really have a period of validity but US Embassies 'prefer' it to be less than 6months old for obvious reasons.
Most police certificates state they are valid for 6 months... but, for US immigration purposes, they are valid for 12 months.

Just remember that you need to have a police certificate for every country you've lived in for more than 6 months from the age of 16.
You need a police certificate from every country you've lived in for more than 12 months (not 6) from age 16.

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2013, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

vanillanix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Most police certificates state they are valid for 6 months... but, for US immigration purposes, they are valid for 12 months.

You need a police certificate from every country you've lived in for more than 12 months (not 6) from age 16.

Ian
My police certificate had no expiration date, and was told by 2 CONOFF's - one in London and one in the US that the preference be that it's less than the 6months, but you're right in the black and white scheme of things as it is just a preference.

travel.state.gov states 6 months or more: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...95.html#police

In any case! If I remember correctly, all warnings, arrests and convictions need to be declared. My police report showed nothing which was fine, but I still went ahead and listed a warning I'd received in my misspent youth.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 3:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It's 6 months or more for living or having lived in one's own country of nationality, and 12 months or more if living or having lived in some other country.

Both of you are correct, or would have been had you properly qualified your statements.

Regards, JEff
Just remember that you need to have a police certificate for every country you've lived in for more than 6 months from the age of 16.

Ian

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Nov 12th 2013 at 3:06 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Usually Council Tax non-payment is a civil matter, dealt with in civil courts, who have different means available to them (garnishment/wage orders, liens on property etc and issuing a County Court Judgement etc)

Not turning up to court turns it into an arrestable offence, which is a criminal matter. Did you turn up to court and state your case?
Any time I've had a reason to be at a court I've been there. So no issue on that one.
The problem here being I think I may have been arrested at this date on the morning before the court appearance. I've been told that they do this so that if you are found guilty and sent to prison (apparently non-payment of poll tax was a reason for this) you are already under arrest. I went in court, agreed to pay it, went home. End of matter.
Yes I'm vague because it was something I didn't think would ever be relevant again and until this question cropped up had totally forgotten about.
I can only narrow the date down to a period of about 5 years.

Start looking into the process of getting one soon, the NOA2 is your prompt to get your documents together.. personally, I'd wait a few weeks until you've verified your packet has been forwarded to the NVC.
I'm already getting prepared. Just need the photo signed and this question answering.

The vaccinations are also an issue. My GP's surgery have given me evidence from the last few years but nothing going back to childhood when all the usual vaccinations/ illnesses took place.

I'm beginning to think that all these places that hold evidence/proof of your life are very reluctant to actually tell you about yourself.

Good luck!

In any case! If I remember correctly, all warnings, arrests and convictions need to be declared. My police report showed nothing which was fine, but I still went ahead and listed a warning I'd received in my misspent youth.
But it does state 'criminal' and deciding what is 'criminal' and what isn't seems to be a problem, not even the ACRO chap had a clue.

I actually thought that applying for this certificate was a way of finding out if you have anything on record, seems that you have to tell them first which seems a bit backwards.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Any time I've had a reason to be at a court I've been there. So no issue on that one.
The problem here being I think I may have been arrested at this date on the morning before the court appearance. I've been told that they do this so that if you are found guilty and sent to prison (apparently non-payment of poll tax was a reason for this) you are already under arrest. I went in court, agreed to pay it, went home. End of matter.
Yes I'm vague because it was something I didn't think would ever be relevant again and until this question cropped up had totally forgotten about.
I can only narrow the date down to a period of about 5 years.

I'm already getting prepared. Just need the photo signed and this question answering.

The vaccinations are also an issue. My GP's surgery have given me evidence from the last few years but nothing going back to childhood when all the usual vaccinations/ illnesses took place.

I'm beginning to think that all these places that hold evidence/proof of your life are very reluctant to actually tell you about yourself.

But it does state 'criminal' and deciding what is 'criminal' and what isn't seems to be a problem, not even the ACRO chap had a clue.

I actually thought that applying for this certificate was a way of finding out if you have anything on record, seems that you have to tell them first which seems a bit backwards.

Jonion, you can also ask for a subject access request. This will bring up everything the Police have on file for you. Best get it in quick though, it may take up to a month to be processed.

Also in terms of the conviction question. Does it say "Have you ever been convicted?" - if you have never been convicted, then you can tick no. If it says "Have you ever been arrested or convicted" then you can tick yes. I don't have the form to hand but you need to answer the question as simply as possible i.e. without ascribing further meaning to it.

EDIT: Found the form

Have you ever been Arrested, Cautioned, Warned or
Reprimanded or been Convicted of a criminal offence in
England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland? You must
declare all convictions including those you believe to
spent.

So you were arrested for a civil offence - see this link as well

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...y-1569210.html

Therefore imo, you can safely tick no for this form. But I would get a subject access request just to be doubly sure.

Hoffage

Last edited by hoffage123; Nov 13th 2013 at 9:21 am. Reason: Context
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

EDIT: Found the form

Have you ever been Arrested, Cautioned, Warned or
Reprimanded or been Convicted of a criminal offence in
England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland? You must
declare all convictions including those you believe to
spent.

So you were arrested for a civil offence - see this link as well

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...y-1569210.html

Therefore imo, you can safely tick no for this form. But I would get a subject access request just to be doubly sure.

Hoffage
Cheers chap. Much appreciated.
Was just about to tick 'no' before reading this and you've just added weight to other info I had found out.
As none of them were 'criminal' anyway I can tick 'no'.

I think some of the confusion comes from our Local Council's to make you feel like a serial criminal if you fail to pay them in advance for services so poor that you would never pay a private company for the same (lack of) service.

The ACRO guy told me that the 'subject access' was likely to take 40 days or so.
I am off to the US for a long Xmas so was trying to get as much done as I could before I leave.

Cheers
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Have you ever been Arrested, Cautioned, Warned or Reprimanded or been Convicted of a criminal offence in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland? You must declare all convictions including those you believe to spent.
I disagree with your interpretation.

You interpret it to mean "have you ever been ... of a criminal offense...", such that anything of a civil matter isn't included because it's only asking about criminal offenses.

I interpret it to mean "have you ever been arrested, cautioned, warned or reprimanded" (to which the answer is "yes") or "been convicted of a criminal offense..."

I see it as two separate statements. I've no idea whether or not my interpretation is correct, but it seems as valid as yours.

Ian
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I see it as two separate statements. I've no idea whether or not my interpretation is correct, but it seems as valid as yours.

Ian
I agree, I've read it both ways and switched from one to the other constantly.

When I asked the 'person' at ACRO this exact question he suggested that if it wasn't a criminal offence then it didn't need to be considered but I should put all instances down just in case. At the same time he said that a traffic offence such as speeding is not considered but 'dangerous driving' is. One is criminal the other isn't.
Make of that what you will.

I also looked through the rather long list of Class A,B,C offences they have and couldn't find anything relevant to any of my concerns.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree, I've read it both ways and switched from one to the other constantly.

When I asked the 'person' at ACRO this exact question he suggested that if it wasn't a criminal offence then it didn't need to be considered but I should put all instances down just in case. At the same time he said that a traffic offence such as speeding is not considered but 'dangerous driving' is. One is criminal the other isn't.
Make of that what you will.

I also looked through the rather long list of Class A,B,C offences they have and couldn't find anything relevant to any of my concerns.

Ok. Hmm. I think (this is just my opinion) that I would tick no, but then put (see covering letter). Then explain in your covering letter that you think it doesn't qualify under the question, but that you are disclosing it and they can raise a query with you if it is a problem otherwise just to issue the certificate. They ask you for your phone number on that form anyway, so that should resolve it (hopefully), so it covers both possible interpretations.

Hoffage

Last edited by hoffage123; Nov 13th 2013 at 12:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.