Wolf/Dog Hybrids

Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wolf/Dog Hybrids

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Interesting, my friend's mal's have brown eyes.
The gene for blue eyes is recessive, like in people.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
So the guy a couple of doors down with a Husky is doing it all wrong then? He was off leash at the dog park this weekend, looked like pretty good recall to me too.

There are lots of dog breeds out there that are stubborn and more difficult to train than other breeds, doesn't mean it cannot be done, it just takes more work. Chows for example are not know for their roles in agility, yet I know of one family that have taught a couple of their chows.

I also wouldn't say a lab is an easy dog to train either, not looking at the ones we meet around here, rambunctious out of control snarly things...But then it could be just the owners lack of interest
This is the one annoying thing some dog owners think that is crazy, you cannot change a dogs instinctive nature, it may come back 99% of the time, but believe me 1 time it will smell something out of the owners sight that is way more interesting and that 1 time could well be the last time that Husky is seen alive again by the owner, they have no road sense, are prey driven, they can run 50 kms plus without tiring so catching one is not going to happen. There are way too many documented accounts on the internet about people who thought they had a great recall on their Huskies only to have them take off and be found shot or run over.
When buying a Husky from a reputable breeder the No1 thing they tell you is never let them off leash unless its a fully enclosed area.
I dont deny that there may be exceptions to the rule but I would not take that 1 percent chance that I may never see my dog again.
Just re read that it was off leash in a dog park, with fences and fully enclosed I would let mine off too!!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by arniedog
completely agree, ive a friend here in the UK who has 2 huskys and both are more often than not off the lead. We used to own a rescue beagle and were always told youll never be able to let him off the lead, he will never come back if you call him he is a hound a hunter his nose will take over and he will never respond to commands. I have to say that all the people who told up this were wrong on all accounts, i think it depends on the dog and how they are treated.
Just because his dogs have never ran off doent mean it will never happen. I hope it never does but he is playing with fire having them off leash, any responsible Husky breeder/owner will confirm this. There are many Husky owners that thought they knew better than nature and as usual it is the dog who suffers because of their arrogance.
The no 1 rule in owning a Husky they cannot be off leash, if you cant handle that dont get one.
Mine would come back 99 percent of the time, sorry but I care too much for my dogs, 1 percent is too much!!!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:58 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alphawolf
This is the one annoying thing some dog owners think that is crazy, you cannot change a dogs instinctive nature, it may come back 99% of the time, but believe me 1 time it will smell something out of the owners sight that is way more interesting and that 1 time could well be the last time that Husky is seen alive again by the owner, they have no road sense, are prey driven
This doesn't just apply to huskies though - greyhounds for instance are very prey driven as well as being extremely speedy. Having to put a dog on a lead doesn't make the breed special anyway - lots of people can't let their dogs off lead for various reasons.

(we don't let ours off lead except in fenced dog parks because he has little recall and would probably be hunting caribou in the north west territories before we knew it; but he's the easiest dog I've ever had to deal with by far - even if he is part wolf)
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. I have a Jack Russell, not as big as your dog but if she wants to go after something, she will.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:49 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alphawolf
This is the one annoying thing some dog owners think that is crazy, you cannot change a dogs instinctive nature, it may come back 99% of the time, but believe me 1 time it will smell something out of the owners sight that is way more interesting and that 1 time could well be the last time that Husky is seen alive again by the owner, they have no road sense, are prey driven, they can run 50 kms plus without tiring so catching one is not going to happen. There are way too many documented accounts on the internet about people who thought they had a great recall on their Huskies only to have them take off and be found shot or run over.
When buying a Husky from a reputable breeder the No1 thing they tell you is never let them off leash unless its a fully enclosed area.
I dont deny that there may be exceptions to the rule but I would not take that 1 percent chance that I may never see my dog again.
Just re read that it was off leash in a dog park, with fences and fully enclosed I would let mine off too!!
So you know the Off Leash dog parks in Red Deer then? Thought not

Chows are also known as serial runners, stubborn, only doing things they want to do, breeders tell you not to let chows off leash and so do the internet forums, Chows have a high prey drive and can go for miles without stopping, it's not a Husky only trait, a good owner will know what type of dog they have.

My Henry goes to the off leash park, I'm too paranoid to have him fully off leash as it's not fenced (the one we go to most the time), I just drop his 20ft leash, he's not let me down yet but you never know.

I've seen all sorts of dogs lost, escaped, running around ownerless, so I repeat, it's not just a Husky thing, it's a dog thing, no matter how superior you feel your preferred breed is.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:02 am

...it's a dog thing, no matter how superior you feel your preferred breed is.
Well, my dogs are both the most superior. Other dog owners are welcome to think otherwise, but they will be wrong obviously.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:09 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Well, my dogs are both the most superior. Other dog owners are welcome to think otherwise, but they will be wrong obviously.
Well obviously YOU are wrong, mine looks like a bear so is superior to your wolf (gorgeous dog btw).
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:13 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are specatularly stupid when it comes to running off - any scent - off they go ! so far we have culled skunks, racoons, crows, squirrels, starfish (yes starfish) and had run ins with coyotes!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:20 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bring our 10 month Pug over and he'll kick your dogs husky arse all over your gazebo.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:21 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Mine are specatularly stupid when it comes to running off - any scent - off they go ! so far we have culled skunks, racoons, crows, squirrels, starfish (yes starfish) and had run ins with coyotes!
I'd swap that lot for homeless persons shit beard any day
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:55 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Tut.

Well obviously YOU are wrong, mine looks like a bear so is superior to your wolf (gorgeous dog btw).
Tut.

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'll bring our 10 month Pug over and he'll kick your dogs husky arse all over your gazebo.
And tut. My whippet is the best by far. Part dog, part rabbit, extendable legs.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'd swap that lot for homeless persons shit beard any day
Hahahaha. Who got that cleaning duty?

It's about time you brought your dog over - our dogs aren't aggressive at all and won't eat it unless they are hungry. I'll just have to remember to feed them a bit extra beforehand.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:33 pm
Beep

Hahahaha. Who got that cleaning duty?

It's about time you brought your dog over - our dogs aren't aggressive at all and won't eat it unless they are hungry. I'll just have to remember to feed them a bit extra beforehand.
Unfortunately i was the only one around so it was down to me. I nearly puked a few times and his breath smelled so bad for a while.

We're over your way next Tuesday/Wednesday so will bring him over for a run if you're around.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:35 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
And tut. My whippet is the best by far. Part dog, part rabbit, extendable legs.
Ha ha very bunny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.