British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Wolf/Dog Hybrids (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/wolf-dog-hybrids-736734/)

Alan2005 Oct 24th 2011 7:50 pm

Wolf/Dog Hybrids

I'm beginning to think there is a chance that our rescued "husky" is one of these for a number of reasons (e.g. size, found stray where hybrids are bred, looks like a wolf etc). At first I thought it was cool, then I realized that you can't tell anyone without looking like a redneck or a hippy which is a bit naff. Then I decided it was cool anyway.

Still, short of a DNA test I'll never really know for sure. Not that it matters what I think, everyone else believes it without me saying anything already.

Anyone on here have an opinion on wolf/dog hybrids? Or own one?

arniedog Oct 24th 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Wolf/Dog Hybrids

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9693086)
I'm beginning to think there is a chance that our rescued "husky" is one of these for a number of reasons (e.g. size, found stray where hybrids are bred, looks like a wolf etc). At first I thought it was cool, then I realized that you can't tell anyone without looking like a redneck or a hippy which is a bit naff. Then I decided it was cool anyway.

Still, short of a DNA test I'll never really know for sure. Not that it matters what I think, everyone else believes it without me saying anything already.

Anyone on here have an opinion on wolf/dog hybrids? Or own one?

can you post a picture so we can see

Oink Oct 24th 2011 7:57 pm

Does it have an obsessive fasciation with wearing wooly jumpers?

FlyingDutchman6666 Oct 24th 2011 8:06 pm

Have a look here: http://www.inetdesign.com/wolfdunn/w...faq/puppy.html

From the web page:
~They are highly destructive... we're not talking sneakers and the kids' action figures, we're talking upholstery and woodwork.
~Difficult to housebreak. It [may] take longer; and they may never be 100% reliable.
~Many are not good with small animals (including cats), or small kids. [Some] have a strong prey drive, and [should not] be left unattended with either.
~Did you want a watchdog? Forget it. [Most] don't bark, and they will not defend you or your stuff. YOU are the alpha, that's your job. Many are downright afraid of strangers and will run away if they approach.
~Did you have a nice yard? (Past tense) It will soon look like a mine field. And keeping them IN that trashed yard is another challenge...they will dig under, jump, climb over, or break through the average "suburban" fence. Getting them a buddy will help-- a lot! --if you are willing to have multiple dogs. Chaining them is absolutely OUT.
~They howl, and it carries for miles. You might think it's beautiful... I do... but will your neighbors think so at 3am?
~Chances are, you'll never have a reliable recall, or a fully obedient dog. Much like cats, they tend to obey you 'when they feel like it'. They CAN be trained, but it takes more work and time and dedication than with a domestic dog.
~Are you willing to provide a better diet than grocery-store kibble? Wolfdogs need a meat-based, high-protein, non-corn/soy, low grains diet, which should be at least supplemented with raw meat and lots of bones.
~Are wolfdogs legal in your state? County? Town? Can you find a veterinarian who will treat your little bundle of joy? Many will not.

FlyingDutchman6666 Oct 24th 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666 (Post 9693135)
~Did you want a watchdog? Forget it. [Most] don't bark, and they will not defend you or your stuff. YOU are the alpha, that's your job. Many are downright afraid of strangers and will run away if they approach.

For those who wonder why on earth a fierce, wild creature such as a wolf would retreat when your house/person is under attack: such behaviour is entirely "natural" for a wild animal. Some breeds of domestic dogs have been selectively bred however for 10s of thousands of years, to the point that they will gladly offer their own life to protect property and person...

If you're ok with randomness then a wolf dog may be right for you, but if you want a pet with a purpose (protection, companionship, ...) then I'd stick to a dog !

Alan2005 Oct 24th 2011 8:53 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9693107)
Does it have an obsessive fasciation with wearing wooly jumpers?

Not yet, but we are thinking of putting a novelty hat on him for halloween.

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666 (Post 9693135)

Yeah, I've looked at that list before. The thing with it is that a lot of those behaviours also apply to ordinary huskies and malamutes. So it's hard to judge.

Originally Posted by arniedog (Post 9693101)
can you post a picture so we can see

See attached.

ExKiwilass Oct 24th 2011 8:56 pm

I suspect my neighbours have one, after reading the post above. I'm not a fan. They seem to have barely any control over it. It stalks me and my small dog like prey - it's very unnerving having an animal focus entirely on you like that, like you're a nice plump roast chicken, I have new sympathy for other prey animals as a result. The neighbours now know, after me telling them off a couple of times, to move it along when we come down the street. It's big. IMO they are unable to really train it - they've had it a few years and it's still like that. I don't know what the hell they were thinking. It is beautiful, though...but wow, wild. IMO it's an attack waiting to happen. Having said that, we live in a busy neighbourhood crawling with schools, kids, dogs, etc. IF you guys are on a farm/acreage it's probably not such an issue. I'd just be worried about it taking a fancy to the neighb's chihuahua for a wee snack.

FlyingDutchman6666 Oct 24th 2011 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9693209)
See attached.

Looks fantastic. What's his or her temperament like?

Novocastrian Oct 24th 2011 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9693209)
Not yet, but we are thinking of putting a novelty hat on him for halloween.

Yeah, I've looked at that list before. The thing with it is that a lot of those behaviours also apply to ordinary huskies and malamutes. So it's hard to judge.

See attached.

No expert, but that doesn't look like a regular husky.

Just wait for the full moon.

dbd33 Oct 24th 2011 9:27 pm

My brother had one then suddenly he didn't. I don't know what happened but doubt it was a happy story.

Bali2010 Oct 24th 2011 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9693086)

Being a science geek, I would not be able to resist the DNA test - and having time on my hands have now found even Amazon do the kits!

Anyway, have no experience to help, AFAIK the issue doesn't arise in Yorks ;)

JonboyE Oct 24th 2011 10:31 pm

If you wake up one morning to find it gorging on your innards it is probably a wolf.

Novocastrian Oct 24th 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bali2010 (Post 9693365)
Being a science geek, I would not be able to resist the DNA test - and having time on my hands have now found even Amazon do the kits!

I'm curious (but not knowledgeable). Kits to do what exactly?

Alan2005 Oct 24th 2011 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9693442)
I'm curious (but not knowledgeable). Kits to do what exactly?

You get the dog to lick something and send it off to a lab that compares the DNA to a database of breeds. The results tell you which breeds the dog is comprised of: something like fido is 25% poodle, 75% st bernard or what have you.

I didn't think currently available tests included wolf though.

Atlantic Xpat Oct 24th 2011 11:52 pm

Is it a 6ft tall wolf/dog hybrid?