British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Wolf/Dog Hybrids (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/wolf-dog-hybrids-736734/)

ann m Oct 24th 2011 11:59 am

Re: Wolf/Dog Hybrids

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9693493)
Is it a 6ft tall wolf/dog hybrid?

:rofl:

Alan - he's beautiful. I'd be scared to meet him, but he's totally gorgeous looking. :D

Tangram Oct 24th 2011 11:59 am

They are very common don'tcha know. ( I've read )

nldfc Oct 24th 2011 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9693268)
My brother had one then suddenly he didn't. I don't know what happened but doubt it was a happy story.

I have been hoping my dog would disappear for years any chance of your brother dogsitting for me ;)

The husky / wolf dog is a cracker :thumbup: Is he destructive around the house ?

Bali2010 Oct 24th 2011 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9693442)
I'm curious (but not knowledgeable). Kits to do what exactly?

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9693471)
You get the dog to lick something and send it off to a lab that compares the DNA to a database of breeds. The results tell you which breeds the dog is comprised of: something like fido is 25% poodle, 75% st bernard or what have you.

I didn't think currently available tests included wolf though.

I didn't read in that much detail but would assume somehow an envelope to post some drool.

It could of course be some squeaky toys labelled A, C, T & G.

Alan2005 Oct 24th 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 9693500)

Alan - he's beautiful. I'd be scared to meet him, but he's totally gorgeous looking. :D

Originally Posted by nldfc (Post 9693510)
The husky / wolf dog is a cracker :thumbup: Is he destructive around the house ?

Thank you. Yeah, he's a good looking dog - turns heads when out for a walk. Some people with small dogs pick them up when they see him coming towards them but he hasn't tried to eat one yet that I know of. Not destructive so far either.

Jerseygirl Oct 24th 2011 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9693532)
Thank you. Yeah, he's a good looking dog - turns heads when out for a walk. Some people with small dogs pick them up when they see him coming towards them but he hasn't tried to eat one yet that I know of. Not destructive so far either.

Your dog is stunning...what is his name?

Siouxie Oct 24th 2011 1:01 pm

Apparently there is a new test that can distinguish hybrids, but not sure how you get it done!

http://www.petandwildlife.com/wolf-c...etic-test.html

jericho Oct 24th 2011 1:16 pm

el_richo Oct 24th 2011 1:47 pm

I read this quite literally :unsure:

Lord Vader Oct 24th 2011 1:54 pm

he's got a nice dog too. A real big one.

lmartin999 Oct 24th 2011 2:00 pm

If he is at all domestic then I think the percentage wolf is probably pretty low. He does look a bit more Mal than Husky.

Not really related, but some years ago I was thinking of getting an Alaskan Malamute and went to check out how they raced them in the UK. I think it was the New Forest. Anyway, something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGCM9A2TPrg

Basically, Mals are very keen, love pulling heavy weights, but are really slow. They get very excited and then head off for a wander in the woods while pulling a fat bloke on a modified bike.

Fun though.

Louisecooke Oct 24th 2011 2:53 pm

hard to tell from the pic, but looks like a badly bred Siberian or a Sibe/Mal cross. How tall is he? wolf hybrids tend not to have blue eyes. We have 42 (or is it 43? can never remember...) Siberians so I know a bit about them lol. Oh and the DNA tests are extremely inaccurate.

Alan2005 Oct 24th 2011 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Louisecooke (Post 9693626)
hard to tell from the pic, but looks like a badly bred Siberian or a Sibe/Mal cross. How tall is he? wolf hybrids tend not to have blue eyes. We have 42 (or is it 43? can never remember...) Siberians so I know a bit about them lol. Oh and the DNA tests are extremely inaccurate.

Badly bred siberian? Bloody snooty dog purists.

He's 28" high (very tall, even for a malamute). He weighs just over 80lbs; I've seen pictures of huskies at that weight and they all look really fat. He doesn't really look like a malamute either what with being long and thin rather than short and stocky. But yeah, it's definitely possible that he's some nordic mutt.

What started me thinking he might not be was the 2 or 3 wolf/dog hybrid owners we've met in the local dog park who've all just assumed that he had some wolf content. I'm never going to know one way or the other, but he looks much cooler than your regular miniscule husky;)

mandymoochops Oct 24th 2011 3:43 pm

Wow what a stunner - who bloody cares what he is, as long as he does as he's told, and gets you lots of welcome attention when it's walkies time (;))!!!!!

Kirsty John and Dominic Oct 24th 2011 3:48 pm

It could be a giant malamute/wolf cross does it howl? A friend of mine had two in england used for hunting they were hybrids and they used to howl like wolfs alot.