Wolf/Dog Hybrids

Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wolf/Dog Hybrids

I'm beginning to think there is a chance that our rescued "husky" is one of these for a number of reasons (e.g. size, found stray where hybrids are bred, looks like a wolf etc). At first I thought it was cool, then I realized that you can't tell anyone without looking like a redneck or a hippy which is a bit naff. Then I decided it was cool anyway.

Still, short of a DNA test I'll never really know for sure. Not that it matters what I think, everyone else believes it without me saying anything already.

Anyone on here have an opinion on wolf/dog hybrids? Or own one?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:55 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Wolf/Dog Hybrids

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm beginning to think there is a chance that our rescued "husky" is one of these for a number of reasons (e.g. size, found stray where hybrids are bred, looks like a wolf etc). At first I thought it was cool, then I realized that you can't tell anyone without looking like a redneck or a hippy which is a bit naff. Then I decided it was cool anyway.

Still, short of a DNA test I'll never really know for sure. Not that it matters what I think, everyone else believes it without me saying anything already.

Anyone on here have an opinion on wolf/dog hybrids? Or own one?
can you post a picture so we can see
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wolf/Dog Hybrids

Does it have an obsessive fasciation with wearing wooly jumpers?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here: http://www.inetdesign.com/wolfdunn/w...faq/puppy.html

From the web page:
~They are highly destructive... we're not talking sneakers and the kids' action figures, we're talking upholstery and woodwork.
~Difficult to housebreak. It [may] take longer; and they may never be 100% reliable.
~Many are not good with small animals (including cats), or small kids. [Some] have a strong prey drive, and [should not] be left unattended with either.
~Did you want a watchdog? Forget it. [Most] don't bark, and they will not defend you or your stuff. YOU are the alpha, that's your job. Many are downright afraid of strangers and will run away if they approach.
~Did you have a nice yard? (Past tense) It will soon look like a mine field. And keeping them IN that trashed yard is another challenge...they will dig under, jump, climb over, or break through the average "suburban" fence. Getting them a buddy will help-- a lot! --if you are willing to have multiple dogs. Chaining them is absolutely OUT.
~They howl, and it carries for miles. You might think it's beautiful... I do... but will your neighbors think so at 3am?
~Chances are, you'll never have a reliable recall, or a fully obedient dog. Much like cats, they tend to obey you 'when they feel like it'. They CAN be trained, but it takes more work and time and dedication than with a domestic dog.
~Are you willing to provide a better diet than grocery-store kibble? Wolfdogs need a meat-based, high-protein, non-corn/soy, low grains diet, which should be at least supplemented with raw meat and lots of bones.
~Are wolfdogs legal in your state? County? Town? Can you find a veterinarian who will treat your little bundle of joy? Many will not.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
~Did you want a watchdog? Forget it. [Most] don't bark, and they will not defend you or your stuff. YOU are the alpha, that's your job. Many are downright afraid of strangers and will run away if they approach.
For those who wonder why on earth a fierce, wild creature such as a wolf would retreat when your house/person is under attack: such behaviour is entirely "natural" for a wild animal. Some breeds of domestic dogs have been selectively bred however for 10s of thousands of years, to the point that they will gladly offer their own life to protect property and person...

If you're ok with randomness then a wolf dog may be right for you, but if you want a pet with a purpose (protection, companionship, ...) then I'd stick to a dog !
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Does it have an obsessive fasciation with wearing wooly jumpers?
Not yet, but we are thinking of putting a novelty hat on him for halloween.

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Yeah, I've looked at that list before. The thing with it is that a lot of those behaviours also apply to ordinary huskies and malamutes. So it's hard to judge.

Originally Posted by arniedog
can you post a picture so we can see
See attached.
Attached Thumbnails Wolf/Dog Hybrids-dog.jpg  
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:56 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect my neighbours have one, after reading the post above. I'm not a fan. They seem to have barely any control over it. It stalks me and my small dog like prey - it's very unnerving having an animal focus entirely on you like that, like you're a nice plump roast chicken, I have new sympathy for other prey animals as a result. The neighbours now know, after me telling them off a couple of times, to move it along when we come down the street. It's big. IMO they are unable to really train it - they've had it a few years and it's still like that. I don't know what the hell they were thinking. It is beautiful, though...but wow, wild. IMO it's an attack waiting to happen. Having said that, we live in a busy neighbourhood crawling with schools, kids, dogs, etc. IF you guys are on a farm/acreage it's probably not such an issue. I'd just be worried about it taking a fancy to the neighb's chihuahua for a wee snack.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 24th 2011 at 9:21 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

See attached.
Looks fantastic. What's his or her temperament like?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet, but we are thinking of putting a novelty hat on him for halloween.

Yeah, I've looked at that list before. The thing with it is that a lot of those behaviours also apply to ordinary huskies and malamutes. So it's hard to judge.

See attached.
No expert, but that doesn't look like a regular husky.

Just wait for the full moon.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My brother had one then suddenly he didn't. I don't know what happened but doubt it was a happy story.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:25 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a science geek, I would not be able to resist the DNA test - and having time on my hands have now found even Amazon do the kits!

Anyway, have no experience to help, AFAIK the issue doesn't arise in Yorks
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you wake up one morning to find it gorging on your innards it is probably a wolf.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Being a science geek, I would not be able to resist the DNA test - and having time on my hands have now found even Amazon do the kits!
I'm curious (but not knowledgeable). Kits to do what exactly?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm curious (but not knowledgeable). Kits to do what exactly?
You get the dog to lick something and send it off to a lab that compares the DNA to a database of breeds. The results tell you which breeds the dog is comprised of: something like fido is 25% poodle, 75% st bernard or what have you.

I didn't think currently available tests included wolf though.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:52 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a 6ft tall wolf/dog hybrid?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.