View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Conservative
19.61%
Labour
23.53%
Liberal Democrats
29.41%
Scottish National Party
5.88%
Independent Group for Change
0%
Plaid Cymru
0%
Green Party
7.84%
Democratic Unionist Party
0%
Sinn Fein
0%
Brexit Party
3.92%
Other
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

UK General Election

Old Nov 11th 2019, 12:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK General Election

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Ohh come off it, at the Queens Speech she pushed herself forward to stand next to Johnson and looked at him with puppy dog eyes, when he gives speeches in the HoC she sits there nodding at everything he says, she has had a number of private meetings with him at No 10. When they were in partnership she voted for all the Tory motions, even those that were against LibDem promises.
So you just don't like her. Nothing to do with Lib Dem policy, you just find a young ambitious Scottish woman not your cup of tea. Fair enough.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 12:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

For those that believe the BBC is biased in favour of Labour

BBC uses old clip of Boris Johnson at cenotaph instead of video of his wreath gaffe
One person wrote: "You spliced the footage using clips from two different years. "Not something you can do by 'mistake'.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
For those that believe the BBC is biased in favour of Labour

BBC uses old clip of Boris Johnson at cenotaph instead of video of his wreath gaffe
Exactly, a conscious decision by the negative cutter/digital editing software. Whether they were told to, and by whom, will be swept under the carpet.

That clip won't have been amongst the footage shot on the day, and shouldn't have been anywhere near the editing suite.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 2:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Exactly, a conscious decision by the negative cutter/digital editing software. Whether they were told to, and by whom, will be swept under the carpet.

That clip won't have been amongst the footage shot on the day, and shouldn't have been anywhere near the editing suite.
If this was deliberate it's far from clear that it was intended to benefit the Conservatives. It was obviously an old clip and that was widely and immediately noticed. Mr. Johnson having a hangover, possibly mitigated by some cocaine, is now a topic of discussion all over the internet. Whether or not a focus on Mr. Johnson's one Churchillian trait benefits or hampers him is unclear but it was a likely outcome of using the old film. Personally, I have some sympathy for the view that, after a long night of technology tutorials or of brawling with another girlfriend, the man might reasonably be a bit wobbly. He's not fit to lay a wreath, nor to run a country, but that's not news.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 3:19 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Well well... if you really want a cause to win then you do this.. but will it be enough..?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk
Old Nov 11th 2019, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Young politicians often follow the party line. But regardless of that, many people liked the idea of a referendum prior to 2016, myself included. Many underestimated the complexity of the issue, and in particular, the public's ability to process the issue.

I couldn't find the "six white men" tweet. Did she actually say that? Can't condone it if she did.

I'm surprised that JS has ruled out a Scottish referendum, but it may well be a clever strategy. What she's now offering is to return Britain back to "normality". No Boris Brexit chaos, no Corbyn infinite loop dithering, but a return to a whole Britain and full EU membership. I think this will be attractive to many.
I don’t use Twitter, I just saw a reference to the comment in an interview the Telegraph did with Vince Cable recently. The Telegraph journalist put to him that he was a white man like the 6 that JS had made reference to, he said he was different because his late wife was Indian or black I forget which. So I think the JS Twitter comment is authentic, I’m surprised more hasn’t been made of it in the media, any reasonable person would consider a reference to the unsuitability of a group of people being due to their ethnicity and gender to be totally inappropriate. Vince Cable seems to be saying that white guys are appalling as JS says but he’s ok by virtue of the fact he married someone who was an ethnic minority.

There may well be a majority for remaining in the EU but not in the context of the liberal approach. The liberal approach is hugely cynical, JS can offer a policy to revoke article 50 knowing that the chances of having to implement it are virtually nill. Her objective is to maximise the extreme remain vote and head count in the House of Commons. One of the liberals MPs was on Newsnight the other night and spoke of the election being a healing process. The lack of engagement with the typical voter this attitude reveals is astonishing, her father was an EU diplomat though. Unlike the other 11 liberal MPs who were elected in 2017 she is only 1/2 white though so maybe as an only 1/2 white female she must be right.

There would probably be a majority for a policy to remain in the EU, accepting the economic benefits but promising to limit and reverse political union, something along the lines of the RM. There would be those that would lazily characterise this as extreme right wing but of course it isn’t. It’s the most neutral, pragmatic approach but unfortunately isn’t on offer.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 3:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Well well... if you really want a cause to win then you do this.. but will it be enough..?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk
I don't imagine a cause comes in to it. I would think Farage paraded a bunch of candidates just so he could drop them in return for some sort of favour.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 3:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf

I don’t use Twitter, I just saw a reference to the comment in an interview the Telegraph did with Vince Cable recently. The Telegraph journalist put to him that he was a white man like the 6 that JS had made reference to, he said he was different because his late wife was Indian or black I forget which. So I think the JS Twitter comment is authentic, I’m surprised more hasn’t been made of it in the media, any reasonable person would consider a reference to the unsuitability of a group of people being due to their ethnicity and gender to be totally inappropriate. Vince Cable seems to be saying that white guys are appalling as JS says but he’s ok by virtue of the fact he married someone who was an ethnic minority.

There may well be a majority for remaining in the EU but not in the context of the liberal approach. The liberal approach is hugely cynical, JS can offer a policy to revoke article 50 knowing that the chances of having to implement it are virtually nill. Her objective is to maximise the extreme remain vote and head count in the House of Commons. One of the liberals MPs was on Newsnight the other night and spoke of the election being a healing process. The lack of engagement with the typical voter this attitude reveals is astonishing, her father was an EU diplomat though. Unlike the other 11 liberal MPs who were elected in 2017 she is only 1/2 white though so maybe as an only 1/2 white female she must be right.

There would probably be a majority for a policy to remain in the EU, accepting the economic benefits but promising to limit and reverse political union, something along the lines of the RM. There would be those that would lazily characterise this as extreme right wing but of course it isn’t. It’s the most neutral, pragmatic approach but unfortunately isn’t on offer.
What's the RM?

I see the tweet now, up-thread, it didn't show up the first time. It's the first I heard of it. I didn't know JS is mixed race?

I can understand why Brexiteers dislike the revoke policy. It's basically the reverse of what they are forcing in the country under Leave. I think JS had to mark out this clear territory, and whether it's aiming to get to PM or simply increase MPs that's what politics is about. Nothing cynical in that.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 4:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If this was deliberate it's far from clear that it was intended to benefit the Conservatives. It was obviously an old clip and that was widely and immediately noticed.....
That's a good point but I imagine those noticing and spreading the word would already not be particularly impressed with Boris while those becoming aware of it probably do so from sources they'd only be involved with because they too are unimpressed.

I would bet that those who might start questioning their support for him are blissfully unaware of what happened because it was kept from them. I've had a look at the Daily Express and can see no mention of it but, of course, they report the "outrage" because Corbyn didn't bow low enough

Interestingly the Mail does report it but from an anti BBC angle (grovelling apology) and then there's a brief mention of doing it to make him look bad, the exact opposite of the Mirror coverage. But I suppose that's no surprise.

Had this been in certain other countries with their leaders I'm sure we'd accept it was to make them look good - or not bad.

Old Nov 11th 2019, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

What's the RM?

I see the tweet now, up-thread, it didn't show up the first time. It's the first I heard of it. I didn't know JS is mixed race?

I can understand why Brexiteers dislike the revoke policy. It's basically the reverse of what they are forcing in the country under Leave. I think JS had to mark out this clear territory, and whether it's aiming to get to PM or simply increase MPs that's what politics is about. Nothing cynical in that.
RM - see Marine Le Pen

JS isn’t mixed race as far as I know. My reference was to one of the liberals MPs on Newsnight.

Nothing wrong with JS and liberal policy being hugely cynical, that’s what they all do. You and others seem to characterise it as the policy of the intelligent, educated and righteous, it’s just politics though.

No one is forcing anything there is just a political process being worked out. Some will agree some will disagree with the outcome. Some on the losing side will characterise the process as having been forced on them.

JS is probably out of her depth on this, certainly if she had to do anything rather than just criticise from the sidelines she would likely struggle. The strong dislike of her seems to come from the left, looking at the various assessments of her voting record during the coalition she voted for the bedroom tax etc. Most likely like Blair, Cameron, Clegg, Johnston she goes with the direction of the wind, nothing especially wrong with that they are politicians.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 5:44 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by jimf

RM - see Marine Le Pen

JS isn’t mixed race as far as I know. My reference was to one of the liberals MPs on Newsnight.

Nothing wrong with JS and liberal policy being hugely cynical, that’s what they all do. You and others seem to characterise it as the policy of the intelligent, educated and righteous, it’s just politics though.

No one is forcing anything there is just a political process being worked out. Some will agree some will disagree with the outcome. Some on the losing side will characterise the process as having been forced on them.

JS is probably out of her depth on this, certainly if she had to do anything rather than just criticise from the sidelines she would likely struggle. The strong dislike of her seems to come from the left, looking at the various assessments of her voting record during the coalition she voted for the bedroom tax etc. Most likely like Blair, Cameron, Clegg, Johnston she goes with the direction of the wind, nothing especially wrong with that they are politicians.
Certainly most of big business, academia, scientists, the health service, judges, the media, the OECD, Mark Carney and 80% of MP's seem to be against Brexit. Market traders, cabbies, hairdressers, not so much. That guy from Whetherspoons is very pro-Brexit, as is Singapore-based Jame Dyson, and France resident Nigel Lawson, so there are some clued up Pro-Brexit people too, but they are few and far between, Oh, Ann Widdecombe, she's Brexit too ! Tough call if you consider opinion at large.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:03 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I don't imagine a cause comes in to it. I would think Farage paraded a bunch of candidates just so he could drop them in return for some sort of favour.
You should be a politician.

Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:48 pm
Yo

There must have been some kind of unofficial chat between BoJo and Nige. When asked on the news this evening, BoJo looked very shifty when denying it.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 9:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

There must have been some kind of unofficial chat between BoJo and Nige. When asked on the news this evening, BoJo looked very shifty when denying it.
Lord Nige of Brussels?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Certainly most of big business, academia, scientists, the health service, judges, the media, the OECD, Mark Carney and 80% of MP's seem to be against Brexit. Market traders, cabbies, hairdressers, not so much. That guy from Whetherspoons is very pro-Brexit, as is Singapore-based Jame Dyson, and France resident Nigel Lawson, so there are some clued up Pro-Brexit people too, but they are few and far between, Oh, Ann Widdecombe, she's Brexit too ! Tough call if you consider opinion at large.
Of course big business want to remain, perhaps they should also set the minimum wage and corporation tax.

Facebook Nick was after a referendum for years, well before Cameron ever mentioned it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...beraldemocrats

http://libdemmeps.com/wp-content/upl...-2009-copy.pdf
bottom of page 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.