Trudeau

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trudeau

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
No, let's really not.

I provided some specific illustrations to show how, in a world where marriage is defined in such limited and limiting terms, same-sex couples are discriminated against as a matter of law.

That is, objectively, incompatible with an "opinion" that you are not being discriminatory by believing - in the face of the evidence - that no such discrimination occurs.

I don't care what religious beliefs you claim, or on what basis you make your assertion that marriage is somehow defined by the rules in your book and your book only. That, clearly, is an opinion that you hold. But where that personal belief-based opinion impinges on the "basic human dignity" (your words) of others, then that's not OK.
This thread is about Trudeau. Trudeau's party attacked Scheer about his same sex marriage views. I suppose I could have picked the abortion one, but no matter, the mud was being flung. Trudeau then showed that on a similar file he fell short of his own standards, and admitted to covering it up. I suggested rank hypocrisy on Trudeau's part inconsistent with his high view of himself, and his party.

I am not here to debate same sex marriage with you, since it is the settled law of the land. I believe the conservative party dropped its intent to change that from its charter, or whatever it is.

As for making assumptions about people you don't know... unbecoming. I am leaving it there whether you want to or not.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 9:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

1 in 4 "truly offended" ... that's surprising. On the news street interviews very few people seem to be truly offended.

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
1 in 4 "truly offended" ... that's surprising. On the news street interviews very few people seem to be truly offended.
I doubt many are truly offended. The brand has been on the way down for a while already which is probably more significant.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

It seems likely he will win again though given the alternatives.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming Trudeau does get re elected what does this mean to the Canadian brand?
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 10:50 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 11:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Assuming Trudeau does get re elected what does this mean to the Canadian brand?
I'm not sure what "the Canadian brand" means. Is this intended to relate Trudeau and a horse's arse? If it's not some sort of pun please explain.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 12:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I am confused now, but if I have misread you. I apologise..
I could have written it differently to make it more clear. It was just that it was his double standard I was referencing so the contrast was his inconsistent treatment of two blokes who had done similar things...one on his team and one on the other.

If I meant it was your man - really yours, TD - it wouldn't have been a double standard. Hope that clarifies it.

Old Sep 24th 2019, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I could have written it differently to make it more clear. It was just that it was his double standard I was referencing so the contrast was his inconsistent treatment of two blokes who had done similar things...one on his team and one on the other.

If I meant it was your man - really yours, TD - it wouldn't have been a double standard. Hope that clarifies it.
Nae borr, as we say in NI. The problem with debating on forums I guess.

Anyways, I am outta this thread... seems to be getting a bit too shrill.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 12:41 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Probably not. 60-something percent of that one-in-four are Conservative voters; I suspect they are generally offended by the idea of Trudeau, and this has changed neither their offendedness nor their voting intention. I haven't done the math of multiplying the offence percentage by the voting intention percentage, but at a glance it looks as though this really hasn't changed the overall pattern of voter intention at all.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

It seems professional pollsters disagree with Oakvillian:

https://news.yahoo.com/conservatives...200234461.html
Old Sep 25th 2019, 2:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
It seems professional pollsters disagree with Oakvillian:

https://news.yahoo.com/conservatives...200234461.html
Did you read the article? The Conservative polling numbers are "stagnant" (because, according to the article, "Scheer has been 'unable to persuade voters unhappy with Trudeau to look at the Conservative Party.'" The Libs have in fact lost ground (a couple of percentage points) to the Greens. While doubtless there are a few who have been moved to change their voting intention by the blackface photos, it's as likely a result of the Greta Thunberg effect and genuine concerns about lack of action on the climate.

As one of the slightly-less-rabid comments on the Yahoo piece notes, the more astonishing story here is that, after Blackface-Gate, Scheer's numbers haven't moved. This is where Scheer should be absolutely burying Trudeau. If I were a Conservative strategist, I'd be pretty worried about that about now.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Did you read the article? The Conservative polling numbers are "stagnant" (because, according to the article, "Scheer has been 'unable to persuade voters unhappy with Trudeau to look at the Conservative Party.'" The Libs have in fact lost ground (a couple of percentage points) to the Greens. While doubtless there are a few who have been moved to change their voting intention by the blackface photos, it's as likely a result of the Greta Thunberg effect and genuine concerns about lack of action on the climate.

As one of the slightly-less-rabid comments on the Yahoo piece notes, the more astonishing story here is that, after Blackface-Gate, Scheer's numbers haven't moved. This is where Scheer should be absolutely burying Trudeau. If I were a Conservative strategist, I'd be pretty worried about that about now.
Most likely already priced in, those still prepared to vote for JT before the latest episode will probably largely do so again. That said even if no liberal voters switch to the conservatives, in a close election a small percentage either not voting or voting Greens or NDP could be significant.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...-he-become/amp

Trudeau’s best tactic is probably to continue to pretend Doug Ford is the opposition.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf

Trudeau’s best tactic is probably to continue to pretend Doug Ford is the opposition.
Well, yes.

I'm now seeing very many facebook posts, from people I would not have thought politically active, on the theme that Trudeau's been an idiot but one should not lose sight of the big picture; Scheer is a man from the 1950s, the Brits and the Americans have chosen poorly, don't make the same mistake. I doubt that bots or political consultants subscribe to equine or aquarium threads so I think there's a real fear among Canadians that Trudeau's foibles could let in a dangerous regressive. Ford would serve as well as Johnson or Trump as an example of what the Conservatives have to offer. (Did the conservatives drop "progressive" from their name, btw? They certainly dropped it from their policies).
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

"A re-elected Liberal government will make sure every Canadian has access to a family doctor, to mental health services, to affordable prescription drugs and to national pharmacare."
Trudeau announces that a re-elected government led by him would provide a 10 per cent boost to Old Age Security (OAS) at age 75 and a 25 per cent increase to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) for widows. - https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...aign-1.5287896

Originally Posted by Andrew Scheer
Trudeau will say anything to get re-elected.
Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said Tuesday in London, Ont. that after repealing the Liberals’ climate pricing plan, they would bring back “very popular” tax credits including the Children’s Sports and Fitness tax credit. - https://globalnews.ca/video/5947238/...ar-tax-credits
Andrew Scheer has recently announced a new addition to his platform of cutting costs for Canadians by saying he would offer rebates to Canadians “for the five percent tax charged on all residential home energy, including heating oil, electricity, natural gas, propane, wood pellets, and other heating sources.” https://www.thepostmillennial.com/sc...nd-carbon-tax/

Is the difference here that it's wrong to say anything to get re-elected but it's okay to say anything to get elected or is this just more hypocrisy?
Old Sep 25th 2019, 4:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said Tuesday in London, Ont. that after repealing the Liberals’ climate pricing plan, they would bring back “very popular” tax credits including the Children’s Sports and Fitness tax credit. - https://globalnews.ca/video/5947238/...ar-tax-credits
This strikes me as a really weird campaign promise. The Children’s Sports and Fitness tax credit is only of benefit to people who spend significant sums on having their progeny coached. They're necessarily affluent and, while they might be greedy, there are few of them. Promising to repeal an attempt at alleviating the impact of climate change, an urgent matter for all, to chuck a bung to a few well off people is, I suppose, the essence of modern conservatism but making like an ostrich isn't going to broaden his appeal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.