Trudeau

Old Sep 25th 2019, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trudeau

Originally Posted by dbd33
Promising to repeal an attempt at alleviating the impact of climate change, an urgent matter for all, to chuck a bung to a few well off people is, I suppose, the essence of modern conservatism but making like an ostrich isn't going to broaden his appeal.
A lot of people in the Oil & Gas industry and those who support it see the carbon tax as an attack on their jobs and wealth, he's just pandering to them.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This strikes me as a really weird campaign promise. The Children’s Sports and Fitness tax credit is only of benefit to people who spend significant sums on having their progeny coached. They're necessarily affluent and, while they might be greedy, there are few of them. Promising to repeal an attempt at alleviating the impact of climate change, an urgent matter for all, to chuck a bung to a few well off people is, I suppose, the essence of modern conservatism but making like an ostrich isn't going to broaden his appeal.
In view of the “climate emergency” responsible government of whatever party would reasonably be expected to do simple things like removing all taxes on home insulation products, or preferable subsidise them. I noticed that in the UK home insulation products are subject to VAT at 20%. I assume Canada is similar, I’ll find out when I insulate the garage.

From what I understand lots of people spend a lot of money on hockey for their children and they definitely aren’t all wealthy. I remember someone at work citing removal of that tax credit in their critique of Trudeau the other day. There was also a debate sparked by a “Say you had to choose between Trudeau and Trump” comment, It seemed finely balanced. Its a grotesque exaggeration to put Scheer in the same category as Trump, he’s just a non entity.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

This is my first opportunity to vote in a Canadian election but I’m pretty indifferent to who wins so I doubt I’ll bother, especially if it’s snowing that day.

I notice there are quite a few billboards going up in front gardens locally. I’ve always considered people who do that for whatever party to be slightly eccentric or more likely rather unhinged.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 6:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
This is my first opportunity to vote in a Canadian election but I’m pretty indifferent to who wins so I doubt I’ll bother, especially if it’s snowing that day.

I notice there are quite a few billboards going up in front gardens locally. I’ve always considered people who do that for whatever party to be slightly eccentric or more likely rather unhinged.
A couple of years ago one of the candidates here was at my door and I recognised him straight away. "I'm not eligible to vote but you have the votes of three others here" I said. He looked pleased but surprised and asked if I'd display his board but I declined.

Just as well as I had a "hang on a minute" moment later and realised he was the one kicked out of the party and was running as an Independent rather than the one who would get the votes.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Did you read the article? The Conservative polling numbers are "stagnant" (because, according to the article, "Scheer has been 'unable to persuade voters unhappy with Trudeau to look at the Conservative Party.'" The Libs have in fact lost ground (a couple of percentage points) to the Greens. While doubtless there are a few who have been moved to change their voting intention by the blackface photos, it's as likely a result of the Greta Thunberg effect and genuine concerns about lack of action on the climate.

As one of the slightly-less-rabid comments on the Yahoo piece notes, the more astonishing story here is that, after Blackface-Gate, Scheer's numbers haven't moved. This is where Scheer should be absolutely burying Trudeau. If I were a Conservative strategist, I'd be pretty worried about that about now.
Yes I did read it. Did you read it? Because you are contradicting yourself. We are not talking about the Conservatives - we are talking about Trudeau, and he was clearly hurt by this issue and lost support. If he gets forced into a minority government with the Greens or NDP over it that is a huge thing.

Greta Thunberg is irrelevant. Her visit to the UN was after polling was complete.

I don't read the comments section of any news article and don't care what is in the Yahoo ones.

By the way, the Conservatives on 35% of the vote - Harper formed Majority Government in 2006 on 36% and again the election after on 37%.

Old Sep 25th 2019, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently the lady who is in the picture with Trudeau where ha has his hand down her front has denied his comment that they were close friends. May or may not be connected with his leaving the school.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:47 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Apparently the lady who is in the picture with Trudeau where ha has his hand down her front has denied his comment that they were close friends. May or may not be connected with his leaving the school.
It must be quite strange to have one of your 'party snaps' suddenly splashed accross the national media twenty years after the fact.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
OMG I can't believe I missed that. I knew it was JT without looking so I didn't pay any attention to him. I was expecting a caption or something and just thought it was forgotten. And thanks to you reposting I now see what I missed.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 1:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Too funny, the things people come up with on the internet.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 10:03 pm
Yo

So now Trudeau is apologising to grade school kids about painting himself brown. Why do the parents and teachers get kids involved in this nonsense. Hasn't he had his fifteen minutes of shame by now.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So now Trudeau is apologising to grade school kids about painting himself brown. Why do the parents and teachers get kids involved in this nonsense. Hasn't he had his fifteen minutes of shame by now.
By his own beliefs there can be no time limit.
Old Oct 9th 2019, 10:20 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Boiler
By his own beliefs there can be no time limit.
Yes, he certainly seems a willing participant and to revel in public emoting.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

sun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond reputesun burnt in aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
A lot of people in the Oil & Gas industry and those who support it see the carbon tax as an attack on their jobs and wealth, he's just pandering to them.

It's definitely an attack on their wealth - no question. Or more precisely their ability to even get by. If someone came along and said we want to end your ability to earn a living, now!, you'd be a wee bit perturbed to say the least. I didn't spend a lot of time there, on me recce, but I didn't meet anyone that didn't say it needs to end. Most seem to put a 10 to 15 year time frame on it. Interestingly enough, I airbnb'd it around Edmonton, and the more left wing, affluent the people I stayed with the more they were against oil and gas and wanted it shut down now. And when I pointed out that if they get their wish and shut down oil and gas in the next few years, who do you think is going to pay you the $750,000 you think your house is worth now when you need to leave the province because it's completely collapsed. You'll be lucky to get 50k... For some reason there was no answers to that.

Since I've come back, one thing I've notice is inter-provincial thinking hasn't changed. In fact I think it's got worse. Most are either ignorant, or at worse obtuse to how their neighbours can and will affect them. No one wants to know that the provinces don't operate in a vacuum. If Quebec and BC tank Alberta's oil and gas, which they seem keen to do, BC may not completely tank but it will flounder badly as a result for years if not decades. And Alberta, like the Maritimes, will be another welfare boat anchor around the country's neck dragging it down for decades to come. Everyone will be negatively affected. Many who have foreign passports maybe pulling them out to find greener pastures.

The country needs to stop the American style politics and derision and find a solution to keep it strong, which means you have to consider your neighbours and find solutions that a best for everyone. I'll go back to Australia in a couple days and be watching the election and the next few months closely. And there may be a chance I will pull the pin on Canada (not that anyone would care LOL) if they look like they're going to bite off their nose to spite their face. I certainly ain't interested in living in BC - not interested in a mortgage when I'm 100, and the rest of the country doesn't really appeal to me. I never thought I would ever say this, let alone think it, but depending on this next election, Australia maybe the better option for quality of life.

Last edited by sun burnt in aus; Oct 16th 2019 at 8:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.