Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:56 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today I got knocked off my bike by a truck!!

Didn't read the entire thread...you did see a doctor and got any injuries on paper, didn't you?

Anyway, I'm still not clear about where you were in relation to the truck when it turned, but if you pulled up beside him at the intersection, you made a grave error. ALWAYS stay clear of large vehicles, preferable behind them, any lane, doesn't matter.

Him being at fault doesn't mean much when your head becomes a stain on the roadway. Trust me, I've known someone who suffered this fate for making this mistake. :sad:
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:56 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Didn't read the entire thread...you did see a doctor and got any injuries on paper, didn't you?

Anyway, I'm still not clear about where you were in relation to the truck when it turned, but if you pulled up beside him at the intersection, you made a grave error. ALWAYS stay clear of large vehicles, preferable behind them, any lane, doesn't matter.

Him being at fault doesn't mean much when your head becomes a stain on the roadway. Trust me, I've known someone who suffered this fate for making this mistake. :sad:
Having cycled for years and having seen numerous crunches I am v wary of being in drivers blind spots.

I've been using this route for ages and was probably lulled into a false sense of security given the nice new wide segregated bike lane, the lack of obvious rt hand indication by the truck and the fact that given the road layout a rt turn although not illegal there, is not often executed due to the road angle.

Back on my bike on wed (well daughters as mine is still broken) shall be v v v careful !
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:41 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Having cycled for years and having seen numerous crunches I am v wary of being in drivers blind spots.

I've been using this route for ages and was probably lulled into a false sense of security given the nice new wide segregated bike lane, the lack of obvious rt hand indication by the truck and the fact that given the road layout a rt turn although not illegal there, is not often executed due to the road angle.

Back on my bike on wed (well daughters as mine is still broken) shall be v v v careful !
I too have been riding for years as a bike courier and commuter and I ride like a madman to boot *obviously the courier in me*

But I always ride within the law and I avoid main arteries and expressways...won't go near them. Which brings me to ask why would anybody think putting a bike lane on or approaching a highway is a good idea? But anyway, ride safe!

Old Oct 15th 2013, 3:18 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
I too have been riding for years as a bike courier and commuter and I ride like a madman to boot *obviously the courier in me*

But I always ride within the law and I avoid main arteries and expressways...won't go near them. Which brings me to ask why would anybody think putting a bike lane on or approaching a highway is a good idea? But anyway, ride safe!

Cos they're crap at cycle integration !
Old Oct 15th 2013, 3:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I am ok - bicycle is a little sad . needs about $500 stuff - new front wheel, handlebars, forks . .
I need new helmet and jacket!

BUT am ok -just a bit bruised at the moment - hopefully no worse tomorrow !

I felt a bit of a knob sat in the middle of Quebec St by Science World in Vancouver with the Ambulance and Fire truck . .

Dedicated bike lanes are fab until the truck decides to do a right turn and not look to see if there is any one next to them
Only just saw this and apologies for the belated post.

I really hope that you are feeling better and that you are able to get recompense from the truck company/insurers.

I'm just so relieved to hear that you are ok.

<<hugs>>
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:18 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect some of the posters on this thread don't understand how glaringly obivous the bike lanes are here. They are not just lines painted on a road with a bike symbol on them. They are bright green, wide, with (in many cases) concrete blocks placed alongside them to protect cars AND cycles from each other. You would have to be a moron not to notice a bike lane. Having seen drivers regularly turn into bike lanes here even if cyclists are oncoming I think part of the reason this happened is just the driver doesn't give a shit. They are talking about changing the law to make drivers automatically at fault, they should do it, then they will be forced to be more careful.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 15th 2013 at 2:26 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I suspect some of the posters on this thread don't understand how glaringly obivous the bike lanes are here. They are not just lines painted on a road with a bike symbol on them. They are bright green, with (in many cases) concrete blocks placed alongside them to protect cars AND cycles from each other. Having seen drivers regularly turn into bike lanes here even if cyclists are oncoming I think part of the reason this happened is just driver arrogance and stupidity. They are talking about changing the law to make drivers automatically at fault, they should do it.
That would work. +1
Old Oct 15th 2013, 3:03 pm
half a century

I suspect some of the posters on this thread don't understand how glaringly obivous the bike lanes are here. They are not just lines painted on a road with a bike symbol on them. They are bright green, wide, with (in many cases) concrete blocks placed alongside them to protect cars AND cycles from each other. You would have to be a moron not to notice a bike lane. Having seen drivers regularly turn into bike lanes here even if cyclists are oncoming I think part of the reason this happened is just the driver doesn't give a shit. They are talking about changing the law to make drivers automatically at fault, they should do it, then they will be forced to be more careful.

Indeedy!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:52 am
half a century

Bloody hell.. What is it with people and their let's sue the buggers attitude!

Yes, if I was badly injured/ still sore/ suffering etc I would most likely be looking for some form of compensation .. If it was found to be the drivers fault etc

However, luckily I am fit and the accident doesn't seem to have resulted in
Any obvious lasting damage. I appreciate that things could show later but tbh I doubt it ATM.

But I have had people advising me not to work ( I teach group ex classes) not put anything on FB. Delete myself from the marathon website. Then they gleefully tell me they are still holding out for ICBC to up their pay out on some small crunch 3 years ago ..and these are people coming to my classes and wholly taking part!

No wonder the system is so fked and premiums are so high!

Sorry .. Rant over !
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:28 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with ICBC bells. You would be wise to consult a lawyer.

Injuries can take some time to develop...
Have you had any trouble opening bottles of wine or going to get the beers in for the lads? If so, I'd sue.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:40 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if I was badly injured/ still sore/ suffering etc I would most likely be looking for some form of compensation .. If it was found to be the drivers fault etc

Any obvious lasting damage. I appreciate that things could show later but tbh I doubt it ATM.

But I have had people advising me not to work ( I teach group ex classes) not put anything on FB. Delete myself from the marathon website. Then they gleefully tell me they are still holding out for ICBC to up their pay out on some small crunch 3 years ago ..and these are people coming to my classes and wholly taking part!

Sorry .. Rant over !
Rant away. Suing should only happen if you need the compensation. Document what happened, take care of yourself and hopefully you won't need to take any action because you will be fine.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:50 am
half a century

Originally Posted by Oink
Have you had any trouble opening bottles of wine or going to get the beers in for the lads? If so, I'd sue.
Well obviously such atrocities would require a mahoooosive pay out!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:52 am
half a century

Originally Posted by bats
Rant away. Suing should only happen if you need the compensation. Document what happened, take care of yourself and hopefully you won't need to take any action because you will be fine.
Hope so too! Although one annoying thing is that I haven't been able to speak to my ICBC claim person and now he is I leave for a week. Do I don't know the procedure for getting bike fixed ... So may add a few weeks of transit/ gas to my claim !
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

cllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nice

Just seen this - so glad you're ok! Will you be about on Friday at work?

I cycled in London but not here. I don't think I trust the standard of driving here enough. Although a lot of the cyclists are just as bad! Despite having seen two fatal cycling accidents in London, I felt fairly safe there (or at least in SW where I lived) because you can pretty well pre empt any likely scenarios and nothing like turning on a red in uk either. The roads are generally narrower, so fewer lanes to cross when turning right etc. And there are tonnes of bike lanes in SW London now and they seem to be more accepted than they are here. I have heard so many drivers moan about bike lanes in vancouver and I'm not entirely sure why.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:22 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry .. Rant over !
It's still early days Bells...injuries can take time to develop, even my doctor said that.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 16th 2013 at 2:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.