Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Suitable role models?

Suitable role models?

Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

saskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Suitable role models?

Originally Posted by bazzz
Not having kids, I think it would be great if parents brought up their daughters to look like sexy French newsreaders. It'd make the world a much more cheerful place.
I've been told I sound like Fiona Bruce, that any good?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:33 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Paul Watson would be a very contraversial (sp!) role model over here in Newfoundland. (agree with dbd on that one)

For me - my granny on my dad's side (didn't have to be anything other than myself for her to think i am fantastic), and my granpa on my mum's side (can do anything you want - he's a computer fanatic at the age of 87).

Also, Paul Resesaubaugu (sp!!!!) the guy from Hotel Rwanda. Just started his autobiography.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not having kids, I think it would be great if parents brought up their daughters to look like sexy French newsreaders. It'd make the world a much more cheerful place.
I think I can say I've done my best there and come very close.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
Paul Watson would be a very contraversial (sp!) role model over here in Newfoundland. (agree with dbd on that one)

Well, it is more his stand against the Japanese whaling fleet that floats my boat (so to speak). I can see why he would not be loved by any fishing fleet as he advocate a complete ban on all fishing. And lets not mention seals and how fluffy and white and cute the babies are...
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Love it. I used to think the horse does all the work.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by sinope
Well, it is more his stand against the Japanese whaling fleet that floats my boat (so to speak). I can see why he would not be loved by any fishing fleet as he advocate a complete ban on all fishing. And lets not mention seals and how fluffy and white and cute the babies are...
He also wants to reduce the human population. I'd rather not be a victim.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
He also wants to reduce the human population. I'd rather not be a victim.
I think he wants the birth rate reduced, which seems fairly sensible to me.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I think he wants the birth rate reduced, which seems fairly sensible to me.

iirc that faction in the Sierra Club split wanted a great deal more than that. Firstly they wanted to stop immigration to the US and, implicitly, Canada, they also wanted China style limits on reproduction.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Chris Morris, Shaun Ryder and, for the girls, Mélissa Theuriau.
Sadly, recently, Ms. Theuriau got married...we can only dream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9lissa_Theuriau
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

OK, so following on from the Brazt thread, who do you think are good role models for children, and in fact, all of us as we all need inspiration sometimes?

Paul Scholes
Shane McGowan
Alan Partridge
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:13 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Dame Ellen MacArthur
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Bonobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
YOU NEVER LET US DOWN EH ?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Bonobo is an unknown quantity at this point

SIMILAR QUALITY TO RICH_007 !
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jingsamichty;6573987Julie Andrews[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention Julie Andrews - my two love her to bits - know all her films and recite her lines and songs all the time. The Sound of Music is a favourite already, and they were both glued to "A Problem Like Maria" in the UK and are now glued to the Canadian version on Sunday nights too.

We've introduced both girls to some of the old classic musical films. It's a little weird hearing your 10 year old belt out something from "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" or "Whip Crack-away" by Doris Day - but I'd rather she was singing "Favourite Things" or getting on down to "Singing in the Rain" - outside influences are strong - her friends are all into rap and hip-hop - but it's nice that she so far feels comfortable to hum her show tunes !!

Julie Andrews can be our role model anytime. Daughter number one is very aware of the media and gossip magazines already - and I steer her towards those in the celebrity world that she hardly hears about! Anne Hathaway, for example, rather than Miley Cyrus. But at the end of the day, she'll like and admire who she wants to ....
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:17 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
...Julie Andrews...
You think that someone who bares her breasts for money is a good role model? I quite agree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.