Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
There is a difference between "Free Speech"
And what?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who protects poison penmanship like this and say its free speech should be in my opinion fully ashamed.
The exact opposite actually. Free speech is free speech innit.

Originally Posted by Shard
It's sad that Miss Meadows has died, but there is no need for mob hysteria looking for a scapegoat.
Protest is also speech. If people feel that there is a need to campaign to get littlejohn fired then all power to them.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How dare you state that this person was confused. How many transgender people do you know?
Four. Counting the ugly tranny. I don't really know him but he tends bar around the corner from the office and I see him in the street, he's pre-op, his bits dangle out of his thong. You?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Where do we draw the line? Specific instances, like shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre. But speech shouldn't fuel anything but debate. I couldn't care a jot, if someone is espousing racist, homophobic or sexist or any other type of opinion or idea. Just because you don't agree with it, it doesn't mean we should censor it. Its a very slippery and frightening slope if you do.
Why should shouting Fire in a crowded theatre being any different to say an article in the early days of AIDS, where hundreds of Gay Men were beaten, some to death. Or articles published in the 50's and 60' about so called "people of colour" Same conclusion - people died for nothing

So you feel "The Final Solution" was a valid piece of Free Speech?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Protest is also speech. If people feel that there is a need to campaign to get littlejohn fired then all power to them.
Yes of course they have a right to protest and a right to their view that LJ should be fired. I simply dispute that view and am suspicious of their true motives.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Four. Counting the ugly tranny. I don't really know him but he tends bar around the corner from the office and I see him in the street, he's pre-op, his bits dangle out of his thong. You?
Many and each of them brave loving caring people, the only thing that confuses them is why they can not be allowed to be who they were meant to be.

BTW - you do understand the difference between a Trans-gender person and a Tranny - as your use of terminology suggest otherwise.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:01 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The great thing about free speech is that it makes it easy for everyone to know who the idiots are.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Why should shouting Fire in a crowded theatre being any different to say an article in the early days of AIDS, where hundreds of Gay Men were beaten, some to death. Or articles published in the 50's and 60' about so called "people of colour" Same conclusion - people died for nothing

So you feel "The Final Solution" was a valid piece of Free Speech?
I don't think you've quite understand the difference between speech and action.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't think you've quite understand the difference between speech and action.
And I gather that in your opinion an innocent person can be victimised to the point that they take their own life, so that some trans phobic writer can air his views to a readership of bigoted and (every) phobia in the name of free speech.

Thank god I have the humanity not to accept that.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

And I gather that in your opinion an innocent person can be victimised to the point that they take their own life, so that some trans phobic writer can air his views to a readership of bigoted and (every) phobia in the name of free speech.

What if tomorrow Richard Littlejohn killed himself, are you directly responsible?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
What if tomorrow Richard Littlejohn killed himself, are you directly responsible?
I am sure that Mr Littlejohn has more guilt on his hands to make him choose such a drastic act. I also believe after the years of bigoted and phobic journalism he has written, he things he is indestructble.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that Mr Littlejohn has more guilt on his hands to make him choose such a drastic act. I also believe after the years of bigoted and phobic journalism he has written, he things he is indestructble.
You didn't answer the question at all.

You are basically saying his words alone killed 'Miss Meadows' so surely the reverse would have to be true?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Does it say anywhere that the LJ article led to the death? Are you not jumping to conclusions? It's a very serious (moral) charge to say someone has blood on their hands.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

You didn't answer the question at all.

You are basically saying his words alone killed 'Miss Meadows' so surely the reverse would have to be true?
Mr Littlejohn puts himself out there, he has a certain amount of power behind him. Miss Meadows did not. Mr Littlejohn courts the public. Miss Meadows wanted to be who she was meant to be.

I wonder what the "" around Miss Meadows name actually mean ?

I am not asking for Mr Littlejohn to take his life, I am asking that he should never be able to write such damaging articles ever again.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shard
Does it say anywhere that the LJ article led to the death? Are you not jumping to conclusions? It's a very serious (moral) charge to say someone has blood on their hands.
I will send you more information on it when I get home. Time Out started the campaign for the protest tonight, Stephen Fry's freedom of speech on Twitter added to it and now a number of major publications are campaigning for hime to get sacked.

He won't be sacked - but it shows that public opinions on what is and what is not acceptable as free speech is changing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.