British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/richard-littlejohn-another-reason-leave-uk-791546/)

London-England-Lads Mar 23rd 2013 11:08 am

Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

I was really saddened to read this - I wonder if the Canada Press would be so hounding.

How the Daily Mail allows its editors to approve such witch-hunt tatics.

A life wasted for a few columns of what Littlejohn thought was humourous.

If you feel outraged please sign !

http://action.sumofus.org/a/daily-ma...-lucy-meadows/

R

cptkid89 Mar 23rd 2013 11:28 am

Re: Richard Littlejohn - another reason to leave the UK

There is nothing I hate more than an article written by this man.

He is certainly a prolific member of the so called "gutter press"

I am very saddened to hear that this has happened, I have no doubt that it is in part due to the media witch hunt led by papers such as the mail.

Signed.

mikelincs Mar 23rd 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads (Post 10619717)
I was really saddened to read this - I wonder if the Canada Press would be so hounding.

How the Daily Mail allows its editors to approve such witch-hunt tatics.

A life wasted for a few columns of what Littlejohn thought was humourous.

If you feel outraged please sign !

http://action.sumofus.org/a/daily-ma...-lucy-meadows/

R

signed and shared on FB

Alan2005 Mar 23rd 2013 3:05 pm

If you feed the trolls they win.

DanielM Mar 23rd 2013 3:35 pm

Littlejohn is a **** of the highest order.

He referred to murder victims as "drug addled whores" (when there was a serial killer killing women in Ipswich)

P.S. Did you know he actually lives in a gated community in Florida?

Jingsamichty Mar 23rd 2013 4:03 pm

You do realise that campaigning and petitioning against Littlejohn is just like giving him a pat on the back and a payrise?

scrubbedexpat133 Mar 23rd 2013 4:11 pm

Richard Littlejohn - TWIT

DanielM Mar 23rd 2013 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 10620025)
You do realise that campaigning and petitioning against Littlejohn is just like giving him a pat on the back and a payrise?

Jeremy Clarkson is also a professional troll, but he's entertaining and is responsible for TopGear being as great as it is.
Reading Littlejohn (and the Daily Mail/Express in general) reminds me of Orwells 1984 and the two minutes of hate.

Oink Mar 23rd 2013 4:22 pm

I find the OP's title to be inspiring.

dbd33 Mar 25th 2013 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads (Post 10619717)

The Canadian press doesn't employ journalists who have the level of literacy in English required to write a piece of this nature. It may be that you disagree with Mr Littlejohn's thrust, it may be that you favour school teachers having their bits rearranged, but you should still celebrate the diversity and coherence of British newspapers and that there is space within them for people able to deliver an emotion inspiring column.

Shard Mar 25th 2013 12:21 pm

Without having read the Littlejohn article it is difficult to comment and impossible to vote. However if his point is that some children have difficulty with understanding gender transitions, it's certainly a valid one. Many adults have difficulty understanding transgender. Indeed, many transgender have difficulty understanding gender, hence their identity issues. It seems to me the witchhunt or mob mentality is in the petition which seeks to vilify a journalist. His views are often odious, but as DBD points out, he is entitled to make them.

fizzytom Mar 25th 2013 12:32 pm

This is a newspaper which frequently seeks to turn people against one another. Benefits 'scroungers', gay people, immigrants - the paper fuels hatred and manipulates those who are all too eager to believe.

I remember when Elton John and David Furnish wanted to adopt a child in the UK; the paper's stand was that adoption by same sex couples was wholly wrong. However, when they tried to adopt a Ukrainian child and were refused, the paper was incensed that the Ukrainian authorities would refuse - a refusal for much the same reason. THis paper stinks, sensible people should leave it alone and see their blood pressure return to normal

Shard Mar 25th 2013 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by fizzytom (Post 10622514)
This is a newspaper which frequently seeks to turn people against one another. Benefits 'scroungers', gay people, immigrants - the paper fuels hatred and manipulates those who are all too eager to believe.

I remember when Elton John and David Furnish wanted to adopt a child in the UK; the paper's stand was that adoption by same sex couples was wholly wrong. However, when they tried to adopt a Ukrainian child and were refused, the paper was incensed that the Ukrainian authorities would refuse - a refusal for much the same reason. THis paper stinks, sensible people should leave it alone and see their blood pressure return to normal

Well said.

dbd33 Mar 25th 2013 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 10622526)
Well said.

Ah, but who can live without the Sidebar of Shame?

Shard Mar 25th 2013 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10622537)
Ah, but who can live without the Sidebar of Shame?

Never heard it called that, and it is as addictive as heroin, but ten times more vacuous. Even more of a reason to make a concerted conscious effort not to peruse the DM. I've managed to get my hit rate down to maybe once a fortnight (usually crossrefeferencing stories in other papers). I would like to get it down to never!