Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Siouxie
A friend came round for dinner last night, we'd arranged to each cook a curry (I cooked two and did rice, raita etc). When she got here I said to her that I hadn't put any fresh coriander in as I didn't know whether she liked it or not. "Oh" says she, "I'm allergic to that!" - "Woops" said I "there's coriander seed in both the curries I made!"

Sigh.

Worse was to come.

Sitting drinking a wine or 3 around 11.30pm and she's telling me jokes..

"Did you hear the one about the guy who was on life support? He died and his family asked if they could switch it back on to see if it would jump start him"

I just stared at her. "Umm.. Deb... just..........no" I said.

Then it clicked for her and she put her head down.

My brother was on life support for a week, until 3rd Feb.. the jump start didn't work.
Wow, I bet she was embarrassed! That started out as a blonde joke, or it was when I heard it. At least she could eat the curry she'd brought. I think she should have told you about her allergy if the intent was for you to share, but next time it won't be an issue. Apparently there is a certain percentage of people who can't stand cilantro, and it tastes like soap to them.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

On BBC iPlayer there's a 6 part documentary called HOSPITAL. I thought it an excellent disclosure of the good and not so good things facing hospitals operating under NHS Trusts. I'm always impressed with people in hospitals doing amazing and heroic things, often under extreme handicaps.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Shaw internet used to be pretty reliable, but these days it seems to be getting worse by the day, maybe its their way of getting people to upgrade to a pricier option, make the lower cost options a pain the rear end to use.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 10:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
On BBC iPlayer there's a 6 part documentary called HOSPITAL. I thought it an excellent disclosure of the good and not so good things facing hospitals operc ating under NHS Trusts. I'm always impressed with people in hospitals doing amazing and heroic things, often under extreme handicaps.
Very similar things happening in Ontario hospitals.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I could not imagine ever having 100k in cash, let alone forgetting about it..lol

Recycling plant employees find $100K hidden inside a 1980s TV - Toronto - CBC News
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I could not imagine ever having 100k in cash, let alone forgetting about it...
When we moved here in 2005 we brought an old TV (curved screen) from the inlaws and then I bought one from FutureShop - flat screen but big box.

When mother in law moved here she brought an enormous TV - huge thing, not just big screen - that she'd bought from a neighbour for $100 around 2010. She reckons he'd only had it 5 years but I reckon it's older than the one I bought.

Next opportunity, I'm going to have a look inside the two older ones.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:44 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

After a gruelling 9 hour flight to Gatwick, my partner having a 45 min wait in the Non-EU passport line and then being asked a bunch of the same questions over and over again that make the US border guards tame in comparison, a 2.5 hour drive on the M25 and M1 with 6 different hold ups and checking in to a rather dodgy travelodge (lol)...

I finally got some good old Bangers and Mash
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
When we moved here in 2005 we brought an old TV (curved screen) from the inlaws and then I bought one from FutureShop - flat screen but big box.

When mother in law moved here she brought an enormous TV - huge thing, not just big screen - that she'd bought from a neighbour for $100 around 2010. She reckons he'd only had it 5 years but I reckon it's older than the one I bought.

Next opportunity, I'm going to have a look inside the two older ones.
The first TV I bought for myself was in 2000 or so, and man was it heavy and a pain in the rear to get home. I think it was 27" but it couldn't fit in the car with the box so had to take it out of the box, and then only place it would fit was the passenger seat so I was driving down the freeway with this TV sitting in my front passenger seat.

TV's have come a long way, so much easier to move now as they don't weight so much.

Growing up we had a TV like this.
Spoiler:

May have to get rid of the car, if we do that shall make living out here interesting since transit is so poor.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 17th 2017 at 3:07 am.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:42 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
After a gruelling 9 hour flight to Gatwick, my partner having a 45 min wait in the Non-EU passport line and then being asked a bunch of the same questions over and over again that make the US border guards tame in comparison, a 2.5 hour drive on the M25 and M1 with 6 different hold ups and checking in to a rather dodgy travelodge (lol)...

Welcome back to the island. Hopefully, your partner is not too underwhelmed by it all.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:45 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The first TV I bought for myself was in 2000 or so, and man was it heavy and a pain in the rear to get home. I think it was 27" but it couldn't fit in the car with the box so had to take it out of the box, and then only place it would fit was the passenger seat so I was driving down the freeway with this TV sitting in my front passenger seat.

TV's have come a long way, so much easier to move now as they don't weight so much.

Growing up we had a TV like this.

May have to get rid of the car, if we do that shall make living out here interesting since transit is so poor.
Cars are costly to run (on low incomes). Is cycling an option for local / day to day activity?
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I could not imagine ever having 100k in cash, let alone forgetting about it..lol

Recycling plant employees find $100K hidden inside a 1980s TV - Toronto - CBC News
It wasn't 100k, but one of my grandmothers squirrelled away quite a lot (for her) of cash in odd places. Unfortunately she later suffered from senile dementia, & couldn't remember doing it, nor where she had hidden it . We came across several thousands while clearing out her house, don't think anyone ever checked inside the telly .
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

I've found UK airport security to be much friendlier than US airport security generally. However, heightened world tensions do put many places on edge.

Just before Christmas we spent 10 hours at Heathrow when it was supposed to be 1 3/4 hours transferring planes and I lost my temper with the lady at the desk who does the final check of your tickets/passports etc after she told us we were 1 minute late for check in to the ongoing flight and wouldn't make it. I called her a jobsworth and ranted at her that the reason our family was 1 minute late was due to her taking 10 minutes to process the 2 guys in front of us who had passport issues. I'm probably on a list now at Heathrow. A few minutes later the TV screens in the airport showed that flight was now delayed a half hour.

We ended up getting put in another line and we had her colleague to process us. Much friendlier guy, full of banter and suggestions on which places to eat etc in Terminal 5 before departure for our ongoing flight.

After all checked in on that flight, I went back to the first lady pointed out the delay on the flight we wanted to be on and now we were on a flight three hours later and suggested in a put on American accent 'now I hope y'all have an awesome day now ya hear'.

I have a very Alan Partridge image of the dodgy travel lodge. Hope you're partner is being open minded about the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
It wasn't 100k, but one of my grandmothers squirrelled away quite a lot (for her) of cash in odd places. Unfortunately she later suffered from senile dementia, & couldn't remember doing it, nor where she had hidden it . We came across several thousands while clearing out her house, don't think anyone ever checked inside the telly .
My aunt did similar. Her daughter asked my mum and another aunt to arrange to get rid of her furniture etc. Wise old mum went through everything thoroughly. Even took out drawers and turned them upside down. She found several building society books...plus cash...taped under the drawers.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My aunt did similar. Her daughter asked my mum and another aunt to arrange to get rid of her furniture etc. Wise old mum went through everything thoroughly. Even took out drawers and turned them upside down. She found several building society books...plus cash...taped under the drawers.
My 90 year old single mother with dementia is doing exactly that same thing.
And nobody can find where she's stashing it all. She can't remember how much she's "worth" each month or how much actually arrives in her hands-but a lot of it seems to be leaking away somewhere
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
...(. We came across several thousands while clearing out her house, don't think anyone ever checked inside the telly .
Here's an amusing idea if you want to annoy your surviving rellies.
Stick batches of money (that you're not taking with you ) inside a dozen sealed envelopes and label them randomly from number 1 to 20. Hide them, obviously

They'll be driven mad searching for the 'missing' 8 that don't actually exist.

I stole the idea from

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 17th 2017 at 3:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.