Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 12th 2021, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Until this place we always had covered parking either above or below ground, now it's street only parking, but the street is lined with trees and the trees drop this sticky sap all over, so the car is getting a layer of it building up, doesn't come off easily in the car wash either, the trees may do the cars paint in.

Old Jul 12th 2021, 1:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this package will ever be delivered at this point.

Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Until this place we always had covered parking either above or below ground, now it's street only parking, but the street is lined with trees and the trees drop this sticky sap all over, so the car is getting a layer of it building up, doesn't come off easily in the car wash either, the trees may do the cars paint in.
It almost certainly is not sap from the tree, but "honeydew", excrement from insects infesting the tree. Several kinds of insects do that ....... aphids mainly, but also lace bugs, some cicadas, etc.

They cause big problems in Vancouver, especially under Linden trees., but are also a big problem on many other trees, such as maple, oak,, ash, elm, etc.

The droppings can really cause harm to your car if you don't clean it off ASAP.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Canada Post sucks. I am battling for a refund from the place I bought it, I just want my money back at this point.

Old Jul 12th 2021, 2:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up my fitted compression socks on Saturday, and the clerk at the store was a little hesitant to part with an instruction sheet. Being in a hurry as usual I didn't read the destructions first... Didn't do one single thing wrong - I did every last thing wrong! Did it over and now I know. The first time it feels like I'm getting ready to fly the U-2.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I picked up my fitted compression socks on Saturday, and the clerk at the store was a little hesitant to part with an instruction sheet. Being in a hurry as usual I didn't read the destructions first... Didn't do one single thing wrong - I did every last thing wrong! Did it over and now I know. The first time it feels like I'm getting ready to fly the U-2.
Why do you need compression socks Caretaker? Is it related to your injury and surgery? Just being a sticky beak as scouse developed a whopping DVT in his calf after spine surgery. He's had to get compression thingies too, although he's got the full stocking. He doesn't put it on, he swears it on. Including the measuring and fitting, they were $195 for the pair.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Why do you need compression socks Caretaker? Is it related to your injury and surgery? Just being a sticky beak as scouse developed a whopping DVT in his calf after spine surgery. He's had to get compression thingies too, although he's got the full stocking. He doesn't put it on, he swears it on. Including the measuring and fitting, they were $195 for the pair.
A few years ago I had sepsis in the ankle area and had to wear compression socks. They were knee length and cost around $200 for the pair. There is definitely a technique to put them on.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A few years ago I had sepsis in the ankle area and had to wear compression socks. They were knee length and cost around $200 for the pair. There is definitely a technique to put them on.
There's a technique for keeping them up too, at least the stockings. Scouse just hasn't worked out what it is yet. The bloke who measured him for them said they were the new super duper ones that wouldn't slip down. Wrong. I suggested to scouse that I buy him a suspender belt but for some reason he didn't seem to like that idea
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There's a technique for keeping them up too, at least the stockings. Scouse just hasn't worked out what it is yet. The bloke who measured him for them said they were the new super duper ones that wouldn't slip down. Wrong. I suggested to scouse that I buy him a suspender belt but for some reason he didn't seem to like that idea
I didn’t have a problem with them slipping down, but mine were knee length. I can imagine full length ones are difficult to keep in place…I bet they are uncomfortable too.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:46 pm
Concierge

I didn’t have a problem with them slipping down, but mine were knee length. I can imagine full length ones are difficult to keep in place…I bet they are uncomfortable too.
He hates it (he only has to wear one, on the leg with the DVT). He's allowed to take it off at night though - the sound he makes when he does is similar to the one I make when I take my bra off - ahhhhhhhhh
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have to wear them. 20-30 mmhg. For swelling in ankles and feet. Knee length. Totally self conscious wearing them with shorts so I don't go out in shorts anymore.

First pair $105CAD around 2011.
I've tried all over to get cheaper ones including health product providers and Amazon. I've tried dropping the mmhg thing but they didn't do the job and I've ordered supposedly the same 20-30 and they very obviously weren't.

I now order from a company in the US and with mailing costs converts to $45CAD a pair.
They look 'normal' but to the touch you can see how elasticated they are and they snap back if you hook a finger in. They do the job just as well as the $105 pair but $45 for a pair of socks is crazy.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

He hates it (he only has to wear one, on the leg with the DVT). He's allowed to take it off at night though - the sound he makes when he does is similar to the one I make when I take my bra off - ahhhhhhhhh
I only had to wear the one, thank goodness. I still use them when flying, although thanks to Covid that’s been 20 months. I get the bra thing…trust me a breast reduction will sort it out.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The proper method is wear rubber gloves to avoid snags and for traction. Slide your foot into the sock as far as it will go, then gently tug it onto your foot, then "massage" the sock upwards using the flat of your hands on either side of your leg. Pulling on it in increments will position it in varying bands of tension, so not good. Knee length should come to 1" below the knee. When I was being assessed for the active gym portion of rehab, the therapist poked my legs and the dent stayed in like on bad fish.. He asked how my heart was and got the surgeon to prescribe the socks (20-30). One pair was under $90.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 4:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The proper method is wear rubber gloves to avoid snags and for traction. Slide your foot into the sock as far as it will go, then gently tug it onto your foot, then "massage" the sock upwards using the flat of your hands on either side of your leg. Pulling on it in increments will position it in varying bands of tension, so not good. Knee length should come to 1" below the knee. When I was being assessed for the active gym portion of rehab, the therapist poked my legs and the dent stayed in like on bad fish.. He asked how my heart was and got the surgeon to prescribe the socks (20-30). One pair was under $90.
I buy Jobst relief from here
$34US right now.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have to wear them. 20-30 mmhg. For swelling in ankles and feet. Knee length. Totally self conscious wearing them with shorts so I don't go out in shorts anymore.

First pair $105CAD around 2011.
I've tried all over to get cheaper ones including health product providers and Amazon. I've tried dropping the mmhg thing but they didn't do the job and I've ordered supposedly the same 20-30 and they very obviously weren't.

I now order from a company in the US and with mailing costs converts to $45CAD a pair.
They look 'normal' but to the touch you can see how elasticated they are and they snap back if you hook a finger in. They do the job just as well as the $105 pair but $45 for a pair of socks is crazy.
I can understand you not wanting to wear the 'proper' compression socks with shorts, it wouldn't be the best look. Great that you've found something a bit more discreet (and cheaper!) that does the job. I'm not one to talk about the price of socks, when my sister was having chemo last year her feet were always cold so I bought her a pair of cable knit cashmere socks. $120 I'd be lucky to spent that on a whole outfit for myself

I only had to wear the one, thank goodness. I still use them when flying, although thanks to Covid that’s been 20 months. I get the bra thing…trust me a breast reduction will sort it out.
They're a great safeguard when flying. No way Pedro to the breast reduction, scouse I like my boobs.

Thanks Caretaker, I'll read your destructions to scouse in the morning. Might save some swearing. Sounds like you got some very good post-op care

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.