Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 24th 2021, 6:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Oink
Should we capitalize the word nazi?
Opinions vary; mine is yes and no. If it's the real achtung seig heil thing from ze var, zen then yes. If it's for casual grammar and soup nazis, no.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 24th 2021 at 6:16 am.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 6:35 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Opinions vary; mine is yes and no. If it's the real achtung seig heil thing from ze var, zen then yes. If it's for casual grammar and soup nazis, no.
Does one want to give it the gravitas of being a proper noun? I was just pondering this while unsucceslly trying to get drunk on Coors Light. You can't drink them fast enough.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 7:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Does one want to give it the gravitas of being a proper noun? I was just pondering this while unsucceslly trying to get drunk on Coors Light. You can't drink them fast enough.
It's problematic; Neo-Nazi, neo-Nazi, or neo-nazi? I just go with what looks and feels right at the time.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 2:36 am
Stand-up Philosopher

If you are attacked by a woman with a knife, hold a loaf of bread out towards her right away; her nurturing instincts will kick in automatically and she will make you a sandwich.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 3:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you are attacked by a woman with a knife, hold a loaf of bread out towards her right away; her nurturing instincts will kick in automatically and she will make you a sandwich.
But where's the butter and sandwich filling?
Old Jun 27th 2021, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted this on reddit, showing their 1st pay check at Ford and their last paycheck at Ford. 1969 for the first and 1999 for the last.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinter...ast_pay_stubs/

Old Jun 27th 2021, 4:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Someone posted this on reddit, showing their 1st pay check at Ford and their last paycheck at Ford. 1969 for the first and 1999 for the last.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinter...ast_pay_stubs/
So in 1969 they earned $4.15 gross per hour, and in 1999 it was $21.70 gross per hour (approx) ?
Old Jun 27th 2021, 5:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
So in 1969 they earned $4.15 gross per hour, and in 1999 it was $21.70 gross per hour (approx) ?

I believe so yes.

Can't say about 1969 but in 1999 $21 in the US was pretty decent money for most areas.

​​​​​​I would be content if I could make $21 in 2021.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 6:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That was for one of the coveted United Auto Workers jobs in an auto factory though. The high wages were a premium for working under pressure all shift on the assembly line. The earlier one could be my brother in law's pay stub from the Oakville plant. When I was visiting he was on night shift and came home looking very haggard every morning. Store clerks in 1970 in Saskatchewan made minimum wage of $1.75/hr and by 1974 maybe $3/hr. Starting wage on the section gang in '75 was about $4.25/hr increasing with service and by '79 was over $7. A construction worker in the labourer's union in 1979 made about $10.50/hr, being laid-off and getting unemployment between jobs when the gap permitted. The UAW says the high wages auto workers make are justified because of the wealth they bring to a community through money they spend on housing, service industry etc, but when the local market is geared to factory workers making $35/hr or professionals making a lot more, those bringing in $12 - $15 are going to struggle. A fellow in the trailer court in Oliver spends 5 days a week in a sawmill in another area and drives back to spend his 2 days off with his wife. It must pay well, judging by the vehicles they have, but it looks like a tough way to make a living. The experienced pickers that are getting $25 or $30/hr in the orchards now are making that because they can get ripe cherries undamaged into the basket 2 or 3 times faster than someone off the street. If they fly in from Mexico, live in a barracks on the boss's farm and don't spend anything, they can send a good amount home to their families and lots of them come back year after year. When traveling early there's a lot of traffic on the south end of #97 as they all get to the orchards for a 5am start. When cherries are normally $2.50/lb at fruit stands, the signs advertise self-pick for $1.25, and I always intend to go pick some but never do (last time was 50 years ago). I have to phone my landlord in Oliver, and they own an orchard and fruit stand south of town. Occasionally they used to drop off a case of cherries for the residents to share. If I remember I'll ask how that's going this year.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

Seattle and San Francisco are like that but instead of factory work, its high tech so anyone not in those high paying industries struggle big time, Vancouver is heading that way, already expensive but with the tech jobs coming more and more from Amazon, well I imagine its only going to get more expensive.

San Diego in my childhood was not as bad, it was still mostly a sleepy military town, but wasn't completely reliant on military, also had manufacturing both for defense and non-defense, tuna industry was big back then too, 50 years ago tuna was the 3rd biggest industry in San Diego, the brands still largely exist today, but the fishing, canning etc all moved over seas by the 1990's.

Still some legacy left of the industry there, Bumble Bee foods still maintain a corporate office there, but is owned by a Thailand based company now, Chicken of the Sea used to be based in San Diego as well, it's also now owned by a Thai Company, they do maintain an office in California still, but no longer in San Diego.

By the time I turned 18 all the traditional well paying jobs were gone, and the economy was largely service based and service based jobs never pay very well, there are pockets of high tech, and niche industries but those require a great deal of skill and education.

Navy and Marines make it hard for non-military as well, because of their housing benefits that civilians don't get for buying houses, it skews the housing market a bit.

My dad worked for a school district, he started in 1978 and made $5.30 per hour, double the min wage, he went night janitor, worked up to day janitor, then to delivery driver, then late 1990's warehouse manager where he stayed until he retired 5 or so years ago, when he retired he was pushing 90k a year.

That sort of option wasn't available by the time I became an adult, night janitor position was outsourced to outside vendors, drivers too were outsourced to outside vendors, and when my dad left, the warehouse was being outsourced as well, and well the vendor companies taking over do not pay well, offer little to no benefits, certainly no retirement at all.

Outsourcing really pulled the ladder up for people out of reach, used to be able to start at a company very entry level and work up, but outsourcing to outside vendors have pulled that option, ramp for example, airlines used to have their own employees, you could start on the ramp and work up in the company, or stay on the ramp as a career as it paid well enough to do so for many, then came outsourcing, so now most airlines use outside vendors, so there is no longer that entry level option, 3rd party vendors offer very little advancement, they come and go like the wind, airlines tend not to keep the same vendor around for more than a few years, so while the new vendor may re-hire the same people, everyone is starting over back to ground 0.

Contract flipping they call it, hospitals that outsource janitorial do the same, every few years flip to a new vendor, keeps wages and costs down. The food joints at YVR do it to, flip contracts so wages never increase.

That was for one of the coveted United Auto Workers jobs in an auto factory though. The high wages were a premium for working under pressure all shift on the assembly line. The earlier one could be my brother in law's pay stub from the Oakville plant. When I was visiting he was on night shift and came home looking very haggard every morning. Store clerks in 1970 in Saskatchewan made minimum wage of $1.75/hr and by 1974 maybe $3/hr. Starting wage on the section gang in '75 was about $4.25/hr increasing with service and by '79 was over $7. A construction worker in the labourer's union in 1979 made about $10.50/hr, being laid-off and getting unemployment between jobs when the gap permitted. The UAW says the high wages auto workers make are justified because of the wealth they bring to a community through money they spend on housing, service industry etc, but when the local market is geared to factory workers making $35/hr or professionals making a lot more, those bringing in $12 - $15 are going to struggle. A fellow in the trailer court in Oliver spends 5 days a week in a sawmill in another area and drives back to spend his 2 days off with his wife. It must pay well, judging by the vehicles they have, but it looks like a tough way to make a living. The experienced pickers that are getting $25 or $30/hr in the orchards now are making that because they can get ripe cherries undamaged into the basket 2 or 3 times faster than someone off the street. If they fly in from Mexico, live in a barracks on the boss's farm and don't spend anything, they can send a good amount home to their families and lots of them come back year after year. When traveling early there's a lot of traffic on the south end of #97 as they all get to the orchards for a 5am start. When cherries are normally $2.50/lb at fruit stands, the signs advertise self-pick for $1.25, and I always intend to go pick some but never do (last time was 50 years ago). I have to phone my landlord in Oliver, and they own an orchard and fruit stand south of town. Occasionally they used to drop off a case of cherries for the residents to share. If I remember I'll ask how that's going this year.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 6:30 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 30th 2021, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

Wonder if these are any good?

Seem like in theory better alternative to a traditional portable unit which are not the most efficient things out there.

https://www.forestair.ca/en/fiche-produit-mini

Basically a portable mini split like a/c with an outdoor unit so your not both heating and cooling the air at the time like with a traditional portable.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 2:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Another example of Canada/USA price differences.

The British & Irish Lions tour of South Africa is just about to begin.

In the USA it's available on NBC's Peacock digital service.
Apparently the rugby tour games are included in the price which also includes things like Premier League football and much more.
A mere $4.99US a month.
Just to clarify, that's $4.99US a month. If you just want the three tests then sign up for the month that includes the three consecutive Saturdays. $4.99US.

In Canada it's available on Premier Sports but only as a package. All the tour games including the three tests.
For $49US.
Just to clarify, that's $49US.

So in the US you can see the whole thing and a whole lot more for two months @ $4.99 = $9.98 or sacrifice 2 warm-up matches and only spend $4.99 while in Canada it will cost you $49. Ten times as much. For just the rugby.

Old Jul 1st 2021, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

Prices in Canada is what makes life in Canada so difficult for so many, wages are not much better on the lower and middle end compared to the US, but we pay a lot more for just about everything, and sometimes 10-20 times more, often see things on Amazon for $9.99 in the US but same thing in Canada is $50, that is just an absurd difference.

Cat box in the US selling for $12.99 but selling for $40 in Canada.

For us our income isn't any higher in Canada to offset the higher prices on most goods and services.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Another example of Canada/USA price differences.

The British & Irish Lions tour of South Africa is just about to begin.

In the USA it's available on NBC's Peacock digital service.
Apparently the rugby tour games are included in the price which also includes things like Premier League football and much more.
A mere $4.99US a month.
Just to clarify, that's $4.99US a month. If you just want the three tests then sign up for the month that includes the three consecutive Saturdays. $4.99US.

In Canada it's available on Premier Sports but only as a package. All the tour games including the three tests.
For $49US.
Just to clarify, that's $49US.

So in the US you can see the whole thing and a whole lot more for two months @ $4.99 = $9.98 or sacrifice 2 warm-up matches and only spend $4.99 while in Canada it will cost you $49. Ten times as much. For just the rugby.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 1st 2021 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 7:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I only buy something on Amazon if it's cheaper than the competition. If I can go to a store and buy that cat box for $15 Cdn it's cheaper than in the US price on Amazon. If I can go into K-Mart in Billings and buy it for $10 USD it's cheaper there, but not much. When one of my sisters would go to her trailer in St Petersburg for the winter she'd take boxes of non-perishable food that is more expensive in the US, as well as enough pea-meal bacon to last for months because bacon costs a lot more there. Some things are cheaper, but a lot aren't. Last time I was camping in the US I stocked up on groceries in Spokane, and the only real saving was on the beer. I only ate at Dairy Queen and a couple of other fast food places while travelling there, but they weren't cheaper. I remember whole Coho Salmon being real cheap in Oroville, and cigarettes and cigars when I still smoked, and mom used to buy all her cheese down there and some canned stuff. Being paid in US dollars makes prices more equal, and I'm not denying there are bargains to be had, but I don't think many of them are on Amazon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.