Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 11th 2021, 7:58 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by abner
Seriously, who are you to judge, Jingsamichty?

Elsewhere, you've posted your opposition to prioritising Covid-19 vaccination for inhabitants of old age care homes, despite their starkly greater risk of premature death from the disease.

And in your post above, we see why: you view them as "a miserable and decrepit bunch ... on the whole".

That's a truly despicable attitude, and I hope to God you are not in any position to influence the delivery of treatment, care, or comfort to the elderly.
I can see I've upset you a little bit.

Rest assured, I am not now and am never likely to be in any position to influence the delivery of treatment, care or comfort to the elderly, save for my own parents who share my views that limited resources should not be wasted on people in the final stage of life.

I do not have any "attitude" towards care home residents, indeed I don't know any. All I did is comment on how miserable and decrepit they appeared, which is largely true. And I can't blame them, it must be a pretty tedious existence.

And for clarity, I'm not against vaccinating care home residents, it is simply my opinion - and I am permitted one - that the limited resources of vaccine at present would be best served by first vaccinating the care home workers and other key workers which might help society as a whole to ease lockdown. As care home residents are very easy to isolate they already have a control in place that the key workers do not, and the residents themselves would be safer if their caregivers were vaccinated. It's simply my personal cost-benefit analysis on the best overall use of a limited resource. Once the caregivers are vaccinated, give it to the residents. It's no different to a hospital... not much point vaccinating the patients if you don't vaccinate the health care staff first.

Old Jan 11th 2021, 3:47 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I can see I've upset you a little bit.

Rest assured, I am not now and am never likely to be in any position to influence the delivery of treatment, care or comfort to the elderly, save for my own parents who share my views that limited resources should not be wasted on people in the final stage of life.

I do not have any "attitude" towards care home residents, indeed I don't know any. All I did is comment on how miserable and decrepit they appeared, which is largely true. And I can't blame them, it must be a pretty tedious existence.

And for clarity, I'm not against vaccinating care home residents, it is simply my opinion - and I am permitted one - that the limited resources of vaccine at present would be best served by first vaccinating the care home workers and other key workers which might help society as a whole to ease lockdown. As care home residents are very easy to isolate they already have a control in place that the key workers do not, and the residents themselves would be safer if their caregivers were vaccinated. It's simply my personal cost-benefit analysis on the best overall use of a limited resource. Once the caregivers are vaccinated, give it to the residents. It's no different to a hospital... not much point vaccinating the patients if you don't vaccinate the health care staff first.
I always think they look decrepit too. Growing old ain't no fun.

As to the vaccinations, I believe the idea is to vaccinate those most likely to die from Covid first. I made a small comment on this in the new Corona / Vax UK (Maple Leaf) thread.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Certainly isn't if you need to go into a care home. Dreadful places IMO...no wonder the patients in them look old and decrepit.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 4:11 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Certainly isn't if you need to go into a care home. Dreadful places IMO...no wonder the patients in them look old and decrepit.

Roger Daltry had a point didn't he !
Old Jan 11th 2021, 6:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I wish I could find a picture I saw (maybe on BE) of residents one side of a long window (or screen?) and some musicians on the other side entertaining them. I assume they had some way of hearing the music.

Some of the old folk had santa hats on. They didn't look happy, just as pets don't look happy when 'things' are draped on them.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 7:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wish I could find a picture I saw (maybe on BE) of residents one side of a long window (or screen?) and some musicians on the other side entertaining them. I assume they had some way of hearing the music.

Some of the old folk had santa hats on. They didn't look happy, just as pets don't look happy when 'things' are draped on them.
My mum and MIL ended their days in a nursing home. My mum vowed she would never allow herself to be taken into one. In a way she fulfilled that wish. As soon as she arrived, she stopped eating, drinking and taking her meds. She only lasted a couple of weeks.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 8:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My mum and MIL ended their days in a nursing home. My mum vowed she would never allow herself to be taken into one. In a way she fulfilled that wish. As soon as she arrived, she stopped eating, drinking and taking her meds. She only lasted a couple of weeks.
Of course, the other side of the coin is where caring for the person at home isn't really possible.

My wife was one who would never go in a home and nor would she agree to her mum going in one. When she fell and cracked a rib, the doctor at the hospital said at least think about it. For the next 2 months before she died, helping her from bed to wheelchair to toilet and back as well as just 'settling' her in bed for the night was physically and mentally draining with no let up. I felt like I aged a few years.

Old Jan 11th 2021, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Of course, the other side of the coin is where caring for the person at home isn't really possible.

My wife was one who would never go in a home and nor would she agree to her mum going in one. When she fell and cracked a rib, the doctor at the hospital said at least think about it. For the next 2 months before she died, helping her from bed to wheelchair to toilet and back as well as just 'settling' her in bed for the night was physically and mentally draining with no let up. I felt like I aged a few years.
You are quite right of course. My mum fell and broke her hip and femur...they said she would not walk again...she was 89. She was taken from the hospital into a care home. My MIL had vascular dementia...she was in a home for 12 months before she died.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves here. You are right, see what the doctor says first.

Doctor prescribed a steroid spray once a day for the nose. He doesn't think its a bacteria infection, said it's probably the eustachian tube being blocked and prescribed a nasal spray for it. If it doesn't resolve by the time the spray is done, to follow up.

Stupid spray wasn't covered either, always these random prescriptions that never seem to be covered..ha ha luckily it was only $48 I think my wife said.

Old Jan 11th 2021, 9:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Doctor prescribed a steroid spray once a day for the nose. He doesn't think its a bacteria infection, said it's probably the eustachian tube being blocked and prescribed a nasal spray for it. If it doesn't resolve by the time the spray is done, to follow up.

Stupid spray wasn't covered either, always these random prescriptions that never seem to be covered..ha ha luckily it was only $48 I think my wife said.
Hopefully it will do the trick in a couple of days.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 7:52 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Back to random stuff...

The people who are buying our house have suddenly told us they want to move in by mid-February if possible (previously they'd said end of March!). We don't have anywhere to go yet, but it's going to be a hectic few weeks as we try to downsize our possessions from a huge house with garden to whatever is needed for an apartment.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 12:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Back to random stuff...

The people who are buying our house have suddenly told us they want to move in by mid-February if possible (previously they'd said end of March!). We don't have anywhere to go yet, but it's going to be a hectic few weeks as we try to downsize our possessions from a huge house with garden to whatever is needed for an apartment.
That's something I think about occasionally and I keep coming back to the idea of something like a yard sale except take it away for free.

Awkward time for moving out and nowhere lined up.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 5:41 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

We did a similar thing on emigration and downsizing on the move before we emigrated. Sister in law got a lot of our stuff that simply didn't fit or work when we downsized and then emigrated.

I have not forgotten.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:52 pm
me/moi

Back to random stuff...

Sounds like the government might come to the resuce. Saw something in my newsfeed about pausing homemoves...

Would make sense.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully it will do the trick in a couple of days.
Spray seems to be working, each day is a little better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.