Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 29th 2020, 4:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I hear you, I feel the same way about trains. I grew up with a railway track across the road and always knew what the time was from hearing the trains go past at different times of the day and night. When I'd been married for a few years and had just moved into a new rental I was woken early one morning with a noise like thunder, I thought the house was falling down! Looked over the fence the next morning and the freight train tracks were about 3 feet away. I should have known the rent was cheap for a reason I never minded though, in fact I liked it.

I wonder if being near trains for all my early years was what inspired my love of trains now. The perfect holiday for me would be touring entirely by train, exploring new places during the day and being rocked to sleep in my cabin at night
I love trains too, not sure where I picked that up though never lived anywhere near trains but have liked them as long as I can remember.

Now that I am thinking about it, I probably picked up my life of trains from all the summer road trips across the US southwest, saw lots of freight trains on those road trips.

My like for planes came later in my childhood, I was 17 or so, took my first flight to Texas in 1996 and from that point on loved airplanes, but did take 2 more years before I wandered into the airline industry which almost didn't happen as I had been turned down everywhere I applied, then the last place I applied had a group interview session, initially was told to go, but then as I walking out the door, the guy doing the hiring changed his mind, maybe he saw i was bummed big time or something, to this day no idea why he changed his mind.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 29th 2020 at 4:55 am.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 6:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

My like for planes came later in my childhood, I was 17 or so, took my first flight to Texas in 1996 and from that point on loved airplanes, but did take 2 more years before I wandered into the airline industry which almost didn't happen as I had been turned down everywhere I applied, then the last place I applied had a group interview session, initially was told to go, but then as I walking out the door, the guy doing the hiring changed his mind, maybe he saw i was bummed big time or something, to this day no idea why he changed his mind.
It only takes one person to have faith in us and give us a go
Old Jan 29th 2020, 12:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I know for many the noise would be annoying but when I was younger I always wanted to live in this location, watch planes all day at home.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/co...ve_the_quirks/
And you'd go here for your vacation

Old Jan 29th 2020, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And you'd go here for your vacation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqIKA25HEKg
I went here years ago.

Some kids got knocked down to the ground by the planes overhead
Old Jan 29th 2020, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can’t resist going there whenever we go to St Maarten, but stay a safe distance away. A woman was killed or badly injured a few years ago when she was blown into one of the concrete barriers
Old Jan 29th 2020, 2:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I went here years ago.

Some kids got knocked down to the ground by the planes overhead
I'd love to experience a fighter jet low pass. The annoying thing is, I only lived a few miles away from Farnborough when I lived in the UK. They had a great air show and I never went.

Old Jan 29th 2020, 2:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'd love to experience a fighter jet low pass.
My friend's farm up at Loon Lake is on the route they seem to use when exiting Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, and the first time one came over I was on the floor, and everyone was laughing at me. I rushed outside but he was long gone. After that I'd be fishing on nearby Makwa Lake and first I'd hear the ordnance going off in the West, then shortly after there'd be a roar and some horking big dirty airplane would blast over, low enough to make waves and the canoe would be bobbing up and down. Sometimes it would have some of the rockets left under the wings, and sometimes they were ours and sometimes they had stars or the German crosses. I also saw those neat Talon trainers the Americans used, which was interesting.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 10:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Someone on the weekend bought 2 bags of lemons and 2 bags of limes for the bar, cut a few up, then left the rest on the counter in the kitchen and they've started to go bad. The lemons weren't too bad, but I had to throw a few limes out, and the half dozen that were starting to turn I took home. When life gives you limes, make daquiris.

Old Jan 30th 2020, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, if only it was as simple as some seem to think it is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...m_medium=web2x

FB gave someone in a fish group a temporary ban for a week because FB claims the photo contained nudity or sexual content, the offending post was a photo of an aquarium...ha ha

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 31st 2020 at 12:45 am.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 4:37 am
Account Closed

This was on reddit mildly interesting, ha ha..... I am left handed and my check marks are like this, never thought it was ever mildly interesting though...

https://i.redd.it/ert9v3z6qyd41.jpg
Old Jan 31st 2020, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

This was on reddit mildly interesting, ha ha..... I am left handed and my check marks are like this, never thought it was ever mildly interesting though...

https://i.redd.it/ert9v3z6qyd41.jpg
I saw that as well on Reddit and I do my checkmarks like Kim and so does my wife and father and we're all lefthanded. I do get some funny looks when I do the checkmark on a form in front of someone not left handed. Most of the time the checkmarks are for my own purpose to confirm I did something on a task list.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
My friend's farm up at Loon Lake is on the route they seem to use when exiting Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, and the first time one came over I was on the floor, and everyone was laughing at me. I rushed outside but he was long gone. After that I'd be fishing on nearby Makwa Lake and first I'd hear the ordnance going off in the West, then shortly after there'd be a roar and some horking big dirty airplane would blast over, low enough to make waves and the canoe would be bobbing up and down. Sometimes it would have some of the rockets left under the wings, and sometimes they were ours and sometimes they had stars or the German crosses. I also saw those neat Talon trainers the Americans used, which was interesting.

My husband was stationed at Cold Lake for several years and he laughed when he read this. All too true.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 1:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 1st 2020, 12:12 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

How depressing is that Danny B! Quite horrid IMHO!

My son has just gone out ‘with the boys’ the last of them has just had his 19th birthday. He has spent no time on his outfit...but hours on his hair (it isn’t long, but needs the ‘right’ mussed up look) it seems like it was yesterday since I was doing the same thing! This might be a very long night, as I volunteered to drive them home...

I still remember navigating Richmond High Street in peep toe shoes in December because my toenails looked so nice
Old Feb 1st 2020, 6:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.