Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 2nd 2020, 9:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

This has some aaaahh factor to it; deer hatches a pair of fawns in Lethbridge flower bed. One thing I noticed was the man said they hung around there all day, which is interesting. Under normal circumstances the doe would have had her fawn or fawns then left them hidden for a time while she moved away and delivered the afterbirth. They do this so the smell doesn't attract predators (the fawns are scent-free at birth). I know about this because one gave birth right next to my trailer at the lake one night. It must be an adaptation to urban living. There are no predators there, so no need to go stash her placenta elsewhere, even though that action is ingrained through evolution.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7013756/d...g-room-window/
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
A steal at $530 per sq ft.
It is compared to what a 966sq foot unit in our building sold for in January. 800,000 which works to approx $828 per sq foot, and that unit is well not really a 2 bedroom as the "2nd bedroom" will only fit a twin bed, and has no window, but realtors like to say these little rooms in condos are dens or micro bedroom, but you can rent these little windowless rooms for $700-$800 a month no issue. The listing also advertised the unit as a great way to get on the Vancouver property ladder.

Condo prices have depressed a bit, so it may not be able to sell for 800,000 today.

Units our size 560-600 sq foot range usually sell for around $500,000-650,000 and the 400 sq feet studios usually sell in the $450k to 500k range.

And this is by no means a luxury building, crappy appliances, cabinets and flooring, no real amenities beyond trash pick up and annual window washing, there is a tiny little "gym" with a treadmill and some 5 and 10 pound weights. And the owners on strata are nosy busy bodies.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Went out for dinner with the Wife last night. Felt a bit weird

Old Jun 4th 2020, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Went out for dinner with the Wife last night. Felt a bit weird

thought they were sitting in giant wine glasses. I would definitely be up for that.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 5:13 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Those bastards that accused the McCann's of covering up their own flesh and bloods death can all go and eat shit now. Absolutely disgusting the way they were given suspect status for so long.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 10:11 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The sheer utter violence and power of the weather in Eastern Canada can take your breath away. We have just been in 40 minutes of a storm of such huge intensity that I am physically shaking...and you should see the dog and the cat now its all gone...and the electricity with it...
Old Jun 5th 2020, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
The sheer utter violence and power of the weather in Eastern Canada can take your breath away. We have just been in 40 minutes of a storm of such huge intensity that I am physically shaking...and you should see the dog and the cat now its all gone...and the electricity with it...
eek! So far we’ve only had brief intermittent thunder/rain and the dog only hides under my bed. When it’s really bad he heads for cupboard in the basement. Hope your power is back quickly.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 12:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wandered over to the west side of Vancouver today. Can tell people who live over there are wealthier, the streets are nicer, the houses and yards nicer, didn't seen any zombies or even any graffiti, much more pleasent on that side of the city. Went into a Loblaws store, people with money are willing to pay more I guess for a nice shopping experience, clean store with good air conditioning, pleasent shopping experience, well controlled and designed social distancing. Prices were certainly higher item that is 2.99 at No Frills was 4.99 at Loblaws, same president choice product, nothing different about it. Meat looked higher quality as well, less fat on it, but again higher priced.

Sure beats the crazy free for all at No Frills and Super Store where social distancing isn't possible at all.

I do think living on that side of the city would be far more pleasent, East side is dirtier, and more crime.

Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Wal-Mart seems to have done away with greeters and now outsource said job to a security company. No more greeting, the guards just stand there.

Also in the wealthy areas of the city you can get a grocery cart without putting a $1 coin as a deposit to release the cart, not having the stupid dollar always makes grocery shopping a pain, but guess in the wealthy side of the city carts don't get stolen.

I guess its better than nothing at all, but leaves a whole lot of people with disabilities out in the cold. The disability tax credit has an incredibly high bar to meet, a lot of people in Canada with disabilities do not qualify for the DTC. Yes I am a biased since we fall into the group of having a disability but not being disabled enough for the DTC.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ties-1.4970813

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 6th 2020 at 5:40 am.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 11:08 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wal-Mart seems to have done away with greeters and now outsource said job to a security company. No more greeting, the guards just stand there.

Also in the wealthy areas of the city you can get a grocery cart without putting a $1 coin as a deposit to release the cart, not having the stupid dollar always makes grocery shopping a pain, but guess in the wealthy side of the city carts don't get stolen.
That must just be local to you...our two Walmart’s still have greeters.

How delighted I am to hear that you need a dollar for a cart. All of Europe had that for years and I was most surprised when I came here to find it was not the case. It does tend to ensure that you move your lazy bottom into taking the cart back to the the trolley park and don’t just discard it by the trunk of your car...which lots seem to and drives me insane...
Old Jun 6th 2020, 11:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
This has some aaaahh factor to it; deer hatches a pair of fawns in Lethbridge flower bed. One thing I noticed was the man said they hung around there all day, which is interesting. Under normal circumstances the doe would have had her fawn or fawns then left them hidden for a time while she moved away and delivered the afterbirth. They do this so the smell doesn't attract predators (the fawns are scent-free at birth). I know about this because one gave birth right next to my trailer at the lake one night. It must be an adaptation to urban living. There are no predators there, so no need to go stash her placenta elsewhere, even though that action is ingrained through evolution.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7013756/d...g-room-window/
Old Jun 6th 2020, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

How delighted I am to hear that you need a dollar for a cart. All of Europe had that for years and I was most surprised when I came here to find it was not the case. It does tend to ensure that you move your lazy bottom into taking the cart back to the the trolley park and don’t just discard it by the trunk of your car...which lots seem to and drives me insane...
I haven't seen that desposit system for a cart here in ages but the supermarket closest to our house has something built in to the buggy that locks the buggy once you get too far away from the building itself so you can't take it off the property..which I've seen before.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 3:58 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Have you seen this guys videos about lazy boneitis? Absolutely hilarious. he's got load of them on his channel.It's amazing what people will do for a dollar

Last edited by Danny B; Jun 6th 2020 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's 25c in Hamilton.. for Food Basics / Freshco / No Frills only.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 5:04 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's 25c in Hamilton.. for Food Basics / Freshco / No Frills only.
Our Superstore, and Walmarts don’t have anything so the carts end up all over the City, in the park and river. Sobeys have locking wheels, that stop turning when they are too far from home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.