Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 15th 2020, 12:21 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I am on a terrace off Smythe, very much central, the problem is that as it isn’t a ‘through road’ we get ploughed last, no problem, but now with the strike we haven’t been ploughed at all, but nor has Smythe and it’s a big treacherous hill...not good.

NB is in a real bit of turmoil at the moment, as a Province, it’s like we are fighting fires on every corner. We cannot let this whole thing fail, because there are far too many people who have no other option than to be here, and we are building apartments and saying we need newcomers, and we do, but we aren’t making it easy for new comers to feel happy.

NB has problems, when I came here I knew, but now, I actually bloody care! How unexpected was that!

Old Feb 15th 2020, 1:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF View Post
I am on a terrace off Smythe, very much central, the problem is that as it isn’t a ‘through road’ we get ploughed last, no problem, but now with the strike we haven’t been ploughed at all, but nor has Smythe and it’s a big treacherous hill...not good.
I suppose the traffic helps though. It always amazes me how much a road gets clear just from traffic. Obviously not when it's been really deep snow but we've escaped that sort of thing so far.

NB is in a real bit of turmoil at the moment, as a Province, it’s like we are fighting fires on every corner. We cannot let this whole thing fail, because there are far too many people who have no other option than to be here, and we are building apartments and saying we need newcomers, and we do, but we aren’t making it easy for new comers to feel happy.
Still a good place to be though. And the political side of things has become a lot more interesting over the last few years.

Big stink raised with the emerge closures announcement. I'd not be surprised if it doesn't happen. I remember when they were going to sell of NB Power to Quebec Hydro...the protests were phenomenal. And successful. For a sleepy place, the people can really get it together and fight. Sometimes.

NB has problems, when I came here I knew, but now, I actually bloody care! How unexpected was that!
Old Feb 15th 2020, 3:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Big stink raised with the emerge closures announcement. I'd not be surprised if it doesn't happen. I remember when they were going to sell of NB Power to Quebec Hydro...the protests were phenomenal. And successful. For a sleepy place, the people can really get it together and fight. Sometimes.
So now there's a coalition arranged to protest it; the Premier is considering an early election, a very early election, a-la Theresa May; the deputy Premiere has resigned in protest and is crossing the floor. Well, partly crossing the floor.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 4:17 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
So now there's a coalition arranged to protest it; the Premier is considering an early election, a very early election, a-la Theresa May; the deputy Premiere has resigned in protest and is crossing the floor. Well, partly crossing the floor.
I’m glad it’s getting nasty. People in more rural areas need to create more fuss. People are remarkably accepting of the unacceptable - not apathetic as such, just ‘it is what it is’ ish which drives me bonkers. NB has been forgotten and ignored for so very long that it seems to be taken for granted that this can continue.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF View Post
I’m glad it’s getting nasty. People in more rural areas need to create more fuss. People are remarkably accepting of the unacceptable - not apathetic as such, just ‘it is what it is’ ish which drives me bonkers. NB has been forgotten and ignored for so very long that it seems to be taken for granted that this can continue.
My in-laws are from NB and my F-I-L left in about 1956 but to this day still refers to it as 'home' having lived in QC and primarily ON since the late 50's. He tried, relatively unsuccessfully to convince his 3 children and even grandchildren to go to UNB.

Good friends of mine here have a son @ Dalhousie so they've driven through NB a number of times and they refer to it as the 'forgotten province'.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 10:19 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Oh oh, looks like a kicking injury....
Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Who was on the receiving end of the kick?. was it the builders.. WB BTW.
Originally Posted by Oink View Post
Oooh sexy!

I'm left footed so if I kicked with my right I'd likely fall over.
Oh wait...........

Nah! Simples really. Anyone but anyone could have done this to themselves.

I was walking down the garden, without my shades on my eyes, to feed me Woobie widower drake when I

Spoiler:
twistily stumbled into one of his beak holes in the grass = fracture
Old Feb 15th 2020, 11:30 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 16th 2020, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs are funny creatures, they will roll around on a dead fish, eat cat poop and whatever other nasty smelling thing they find, but put an orange in front of them they sniff it and act like your have let them smell the most offending thing ever.

Would be interesting to see how a dog smells and interprets an orange, the look our dog gives me when I let her smell an orange is amusing, she genuinely seems revolted by the smell.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 11:03 am
Oscar nominated

Big stink raised with the emerge closures announcement. I'd not be surprised if it doesn't happen.
You heard it here first. I have my finger on the pulse.
N.B. premier cancels controversial plan to close rural ERs overnight

Old Feb 17th 2020, 11:05 am
Oscar nominated

CBC Radio this morning for Atlantic Canada. Most of today's weather is going to be in Halifax area.

Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:51 pm
BE user by choice

You heard it here first. I have my finger on the pulse.
N.B. premier cancels controversial plan to close rural ERs overnight
We did indeed Bristol If you would like to opine that NB has a rosy future, and that comes to pass too - I will personally be moving that you are voted in to power!

Seriously though I was delighted by this cancellation - for fragile people in more rural communities this was going to be disastrous.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Dogs are funny creatures, they will roll around on a dead fish, eat cat poop and whatever other nasty smelling thing they find, but put an orange in front of them they sniff it and act like your have let them smell the most offending thing ever.

Would be interesting to see how a dog smells and interprets an orange, the look our dog gives me when I let her smell an orange is amusing, she genuinely seems revolted by the smell.
does she eat any fruit? My dog will eat watermelon, and chunks of frozen mango, but not much else. I used to know a dog that stole horse carrots

Old Feb 17th 2020, 9:31 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 View Post
does she eat any fruit? My dog will eat watermelon, and chunks of frozen mango, but not much else. I used to know a dog that stole horse carrots

* wanders off to google horse carrots*

Where's Nutek.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 View Post
She will eat apples, berries, water melon no issue. But man oranges much just smell awful to her considering how she reacts. Oh she likes beets and carrots too.

Old Feb 17th 2020, 9:54 pm
Somewhere

My duck loves squishy tomatoes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.