Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 12th 2020, 3:43 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Also seems high student loan debt is contributing factor as well.
Student Debt, a confidence trick pulled on citizenry to benefit banks and one we should be enraged by.
Why?
Well, the US student debt is about $1.5 trillion and in Canada it's about CAD22 billion....
And... interest is paid on this debt and I've been shocked by the current rates...
in the US it's https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loan...nterest-rates/
and in Canada it's https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/budg...-interest-2019
The point is that this huge amount of student loan repayment to the banks is investment that's sucked out of the general economy, and all to profit the banks at our expense.
Graduates find themselves unable to spend as much as they'd like because they have this stone, owned by the banks, hanging around their necks. That new car, that new garden shed, that pot of paint, that new fence and that sunday meal in the pub would become a regular thing but for the debt.
'Ah..' I hear you say, 'Why shouldn't students pay, after all they benefit'
I agree, they should pay, but not the rates I've seen. These are punitive rates, imposed on a captive community, that incidentally deprives the rest of us with sorely needed investment being pumped into into the economy.
I can only conclude that those who allow such practices benefit themselves and hanker after positions on boards of banks to continue their bloodsucking when their political days come to an end.

Old Feb 12th 2020, 4:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:15 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Oh oh, looks like a kicking injury....
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Student Debt, a confidence trick pulled on citizenry to benefit banks and one we should be enraged by.
Why?
Well, the US student debt is about $1.5 trillion and in Canada it's about CAD22 billion....
And... interest is paid on this debt and I've been shocked by the current rates...
The point is that this huge amount of student loan repayment to the banks is investment that's sucked out of the general economy, and all to profit the banks at our expense.
Graduates find themselves unable to spend as much as they'd like because they have this stone, owned by the banks, hanging around their necks. That new car, that new garden shed, that pot of paint, that new fence and that sunday meal in the pub would become a regular thing but for the debt.
I agree, they should pay, but not the rates I've seen. These are punitive rates, imposed on a captive community, that incidentally deprives the rest of us with sorely needed investment being pumped into into the economy.
I can only conclude that those who allow such practices benefit themselves and hanker after positions on boards of banks to continue their bloodsucking when their political days come to an end.
You'll have to explain to me the benefit to the economy of repaying debt to banks when compared to, let's say, buying an Apple phone, insofar a investment being pumped into the economy is concerned.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 3:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
So do you mean I've always been able to stand a broom up on it's own like that, and just never tried?
I've been a caretaker, leaning brooms up against things for almost 40 years, and they still fall over. Why should I believe you over my own eyes?
Edit to admit I've fallen victim to a hoax, but I still think it's a hella trick, and will be standing brooms on their own whenever applicable from now on. It added some fun to a hard day!
https://www.liveabout.com/how-to-sta...quinox-3970615
How many brooms did you go through, more than Trigger I bet.
Skip to 1m 30 secs

Old Feb 12th 2020, 3:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Does it always work? This is the first time I heard about it and I thought it was amazing. The guy trying to get his guitar to stand is in Royak Tusk (playing tonight) and if not for the strap button on the bottom he figures it would have stood alone.

Apparently it does work and works no matter what day it is. I've friends who were doing it yesterday and then again this morning and it still worked.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 3:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Apparently it does work and works no matter what day it is. I've friends who were doing it yesterday and then again this morning and it still worked.
Here's the link from yesterday: https://www.liveabout.com/how-to-sta...quinox-3970615
Old Feb 12th 2020, 3:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You'll have to explain to me the benefit to the economy of repaying debt to banks when compared to, let's say, buying an Apple phone, insofar a investment being pumped into the economy is concerned.

The repayment goes back to the source and is reinvested by giving more loans and / or making additional investments in the market. Both help the economy.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 4:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

The repayment goes back to the source and is reinvested by giving more loans and / or making additional investments in the market. Both help the economy.
And everyone has a share.

Old Feb 12th 2020, 4:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Who was on the receiving end of the kick?. was it the builders.. WB BTW.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 5:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oooh sexy!
Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't seem particularly smart to saddle people with huge debt and then expect them to succeed. I was looking into getting some training but with 13,000 or so for the course + some misc costs, and being too short in duration for government student loans, so would have to resort to a shady lender with high interest rates, so who knows what the total cost would be in the end, but not fully confident of there even being a point at this point and age in taking on debt for training, nothing I can train for pays high, $38,000 a year after taxes if you a full-time job was found but the vast majority of jobs are casual since that is just how healthcare works here, so full-time isn't guaranteed, and well the question is, is it worth taking on that much debt at this age and can it be paid back working casual for who knows how many years.

I would not qualify for a normal bank loan, so 13,000 could easily turn into 25k-30k once interest and fees are added, high risk and all that.

Certainly would help if government would provide more assistance for short term training programs, a government student loan would at least offer more favorable interest and payment terms.

Then of course there is always a chance of not successfully passing and thus ended up with debt and nothing else, which is what happened to me in 2008 when I went back to school, so why I am wary of even trying school again, school is a real struggle for me.

Originally Posted by dave_j
Why?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had a good GP, so frustrating when the next available appointment is end of March. Makes it hard to follow up on things and see a doctor about issues when you can't get appointments.

I am concerned about my stomach its bothering me again, walk in clinic is of no use since they don't have access to my records and previous tests, hopefully its not serious.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 9:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wish I had a good GP, so frustrating when the next available appointment is end of March.
My doc only does three days a week now. I can't say what the waiting time is since I'm normally asking for an appointment a few days away rather than first available, but in a few days is what I get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.