Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 21st 2020, 12:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
As an Aussie it took me a long time to get used to pebble/stone beaches. In my (then) rather limited world view I thought beaches could only be sand, anything else was just the ocean meeting rocks.
Sounds reasonable. Some coastlines - 'rugged' ones - look like they need tons of sand put there to make a beach.
One of WA's beaches, the sand's like talcum powder so while it's lovely to lie on, you do need a good shower when you get home because it gets into everything.
I think I'd rather have talc between my toes and in other bits than gritty sand. Unless, even though it's fine it's still nasty?

My mum had her car broken into once and I rather foolishly brushed powdered glass off the seat with by hand. That was a surprise.

Is the talc sand anything like that?

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 21st 2020 at 12:44 pm. Reason: by not my
Old Jul 21st 2020, 12:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sounds reasonable. Some coastlines - 'rugged' ones - look like they need tons of sand put there to make a beach.

I think I'd rather have talc between my toes and in other bits than gritty sand. Unless, even though it's fine it's still nasty?

My mum had her car broken into once and I rather foolishly brushed powdered glass off the seat my hand. That was a surprise.

Is the talc sand anything like that?
I wouldn't call the sand nasty and it's nothing like powdered glass (ouch!) I just meant that it's so fine that it works its way into everything. It's lovely to lie and walk on, and play the odd game of beach cricket or volleyball.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 2:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
As an Aussie it took me a long time to get used to pebble/stone beaches. In my (then) rather limited world view I thought beaches could only be sand, anything else was just the ocean meeting rocks.
One of WA's beaches, the sand's like talcum powder so while it's lovely to lie on, you do need a good shower when you get home because it gets into everything.

La Dune du Pilat in Arcachon, SW France (my favourite part of France) has sand like that.. it flows like liquid when poured - it's glorious!

Old Jul 24th 2020, 10:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's National Tequila Day in the US (or anywhere else, I suppose).
Old Jul 25th 2020, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
It's National Tequila Day in the US (or anywhere else, I suppose).
is it acceptable to toast Tequila Day with gin? Or is it very strictly observed?
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
is it acceptable to toast Tequila Day with gin? Or is it very strictly observed?
It's okay at Sunrise.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's okay at Sunrise.
That’s ok then. I wouldn’t want to be shot.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my grandfather having one of these in the last few years of his career, according to a US inflation calculator, that amount in 1988 is 2,612 in 2020.

Old Jul 27th 2020, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if the province will in the end keep the $300 increase to disability they have been providing the last few months, its currently slated to end in August. Apparently 4% of the BC population is on either social assistance or disability. The previous BC Liberals (they really hate the poor and disabled) let the rates sit nearly a decade without any raise, the NDP did raise the amounts a bit in 2017 and 2019 however but still far below what an adult needs to survive. The housing amount hasn't been raised in I don't know how long, still $375 per month provided for rent for a single person on disability, which is impossible to find housing that low.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2020/07/27/C...On-Assistance/
Old Jul 28th 2020, 2:33 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Had no idea about the braille keyboard on the iPhone. Very impressive.

Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

No more Argos catalogues this was the 80s & 90s version of online shopping

For those of you looking for some nostalgia, you can view all the old catalogues here

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53592591
Old Jul 30th 2020, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

When I was a kid the Sear's Christmas catalog was the best.

Old Jul 30th 2020, 6:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It was the ones in the 1960's that really got my attention; Sears and Eaton's. I had the gas station, and some of the other toys.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
No more Argos catalogues
What are they going to do with all the little blue pens and pencils?

Old Jul 30th 2020, 9:55 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes Jsmth my husband says the same thing....but it’s not...for us...its Argos all the way. Which is probably the same thing, but nevertheless, Most Enjoyable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.