Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 18th 2020, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

My friend has a Golden Retriever and what a magnificent creature he is. Obedient, friendly, extremely handsome and most recommendable to anyone contemplating getting a large dog. If I was In the market, the breed would, without doubt, be at top of my list.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 7:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
My friend has a Golden Retriever and what a magnificent creature he is. Obedient, friendly, extremely handsome and most recommendable to anyone contemplating getting a large dog. If I was In the market, the breed would, without doubt, be at top of my list.
The AKC lists Labs, Shepherds, Goldens as the top 3 in popularity, but I believe Goldens held the spot as most popular pet dogs in America for many years.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 7:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
Dogs eating ducks (like dogs eating disgusting things on walks) is a matter of training.
Don't train your Goldie to eat ducks.

Woobie drake actually lives next door to a Golden Retriever. He is our sometimes dog when they go away for a few days.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 8:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Don't train your Goldie to eat ducks.
You train them to not eat the ducks. We rented some of our labs out to the local posh golf course to chase Canada Geese off the greens and made good money from it. The head greens-keeper would take them around in a cart. However, once I was delivering dog food and checking on them and saw my dog's dad jump out of the cart and start chasing goslings around in a water hazard and probably caused some of them to drown, and after that he didn't get to go to the golf course any more. As his owner and my boss said "Once you've had chocolate, it's pretty hard to go back to vanilla."
Old Feb 18th 2020, 11:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
You train them to not eat the ducks. We rented some of our labs out to the local posh golf course to chase Canada Geese off the greens and made good money from it. The head greens-keeper would take them around in a cart. However, once I was delivering dog food and checking on them and saw my dog's dad jump out of the cart and start chasing goslings around in a water hazard and probably caused some of them to drown, and after that he didn't get to go to the golf course any more. As his owner and my boss said "Once you've had chocolate, it's pretty hard to go back to vanilla."
my daughter’s school had 2 labs, purely to frighten the geese away from the playing fields.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 7:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada has made it near impossible for aquarium keepers to treat their fish, especially new arrivals from the store who often need some treatment for disease. Late 2018 new regulations took effect and banned all medications and treatments used, and there are very few vets in Canada who will treat fish so most have no access to a vet and thus end up having their fish die as a result, even stores can't treat their fish, almost like Canada wants to destroy the aquarium hobby.

It is frustrating a lot of hobbyists and stores.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 10:26 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am not at work today as I have a 'really' bad head cold and cough...I am never sick! Today my son should have had 4 lectures, but 3 were canceled due to sickness. I think we are a going down like flies here at present.

I'm hoping it's that horrible time of year, when we are all feeling like we can't stand anymore and then comes Spring!
Old Feb 19th 2020, 10:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canada has made it near impossible for aquarium keepers to treat their fish, especially new arrivals from the store who often need some treatment for disease. Late 2018 new regulations took effect and banned all medications and treatments used, and there are very few vets in Canada who will treat fish so most have no access to a vet and thus end up having their fish die as a result, even stores can't treat their fish, almost like Canada wants to destroy the aquarium hobby.

It seems some medication are still available.. but they may not be what you are thinking of.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/jungle-.../6000187908414 and https://www.petsmart.ca/fish/food-an...seasetreatment and https://www.amazon.ca/fish-antibiotics/s?k=fish+antibiotics
I suspect the clampdown is because some people were buying 'pet / fish' antibiotics for human use (especially the ones who are preppers) https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fish-...phole-1.330650
Old Feb 19th 2020, 11:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I had a dog that, late summer early autumn, when on a walk she would help herself to blackberries from the hedgerow. she loved them.
Henry used to graze off of fruit bushes.

Originally Posted by MillieF
I can make a really nice stew and give Charley (a male Cairn) some with his dinner, but if ONE pea makes it’s way in there, the gravy is liked and sucked off, but left like tiny orphans in the dish!..NO pea is ingested! None of my dogs over the years have been fond of a green pea.

I’m going to try an adventure with a dog and an orange this week...I’ve never tried it before - I’ll report back...
Charlee will eat frozen peas but she wont eat cooked peas.
Henry was like Charlee, frozen peas were yum, cooked and covered in gravy were devil's work.

I've just tried ordering off Amazon some reptile supplements, 12 bucks US and of course they don't ship to Canada so that's $55 cad please! Looking at a different supllement now.

Old Feb 19th 2020, 11:52 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

10 days until we pick our puppy up. So excited, our lives are going to be busy.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 11:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
10 days until we pick our puppy up. So excited, our lives are going to be busy.
how exciting...woof, woof.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 12:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Henry used to graze off of fruit bushes.

Henry was like Charlee, frozen peas were yum, cooked and covered in gravy were devil's work.

I've just tried ordering off Amazon some reptile supplements, 12 bucks US and of course they don't ship to Canada so that's $55 cad please! Looking at a different supllement now.
What product are you looking for? I don't keep reptiles anymore but I am still familiar with most products.

Prices in Canada have always been a sore point with me, premium prices but not premium wages.

Old Feb 20th 2020, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Probably not best idea to mail a human brain in a mason jar, and certainly not a good idea to mail it to another country. A Canada Post truck being inspected, US officers spotted a package they found suspicious, and found a brain in a jar.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6569662/h...P456jTHM__N3sk
Old Feb 20th 2020, 2:26 am

What product are you looking for? I don't keep reptiles anymore but I am still familiar with most products.

Prices in Canada have always been a sore point with me, premium prices but not premium wages.
Nekton MSA
Old Feb 20th 2020, 3:07 am

Nekton MSA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.