Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 23rd 2019, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Dad died today
feel more relieved than anything

I'm sorry to hear this, but he's at peace now.

As others have said, take care of yourself now.
Old May 23rd 2019, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This is a Canadian story of a crematorium.

My sister-i-l died 5 years ago of cancer, we were all relieved. But she lived in a small northern town that had no crematorium. The nearest one was about 4 hours drive away.

The following plan was made by sis-i-l before she died, she distrusted all the undertakers in town ............

One of her daughters got herself officially registered to be the agent responsible for having mother cremated.

A close friend made the coffin, grandchildren (aged 1 to 5) drew all over the wood, inside and out, then it was taken to the morgue in the town hospital. Coffin was sealed, and put in the back of that friend's pick-up truck and he drove it to the town with the crematorium. The daughter went along as passenger and to sign the documents..

More than a week later the daughter was called to pick up mother's ashes ............... the crematorium only worked 1 day a week.

6 months later, we spread the ashes on the local ski hill.

It was a beautiful thing to see.
Old May 23rd 2019, 11:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I put my old hunting partner's ashes in a coulee on the spot where he used to like to sit and watch for deer.
Old May 23rd 2019, 11:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I had a 'teardrop' urn for my wife's ashes. Something like this.

And also a miniature one I could take on a trip to Europe, something we never managed before she died.
Old May 24th 2019, 11:40 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

When my grandfather was cremated I was amused to see that the container they give you the ashes in looked remarkably like a large quality street container!!!
Old May 24th 2019, 11:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

And also a miniature one I could take on a trip to Europe, something we never managed before she died.
That's a stunningly beautiful urn Bristol. I love that you took your wife to Europe too
Old May 24th 2019, 11:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

When my grandfather was cremated I was amused to see that the container they give you the ashes in looked remarkably like a large quality street container!!!
Could turn out badly if a kid tried to sneak a chocolate
Old May 24th 2019, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The urn is beautiful Bristol.

What a loving thing to do...you obviously thought the world of your wife.

I was quite taken aback with the clear plastic container.

My sister has kept the ashes of our parents. It gives her comfort to keep them close by. She keeps the urns, side by side, under a seat in her inglenook. Makes me smile as they were always arguing and now they stand side by side in silence.
Old May 24th 2019, 12:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That's a stunningly beautiful urn Bristol. I love that you took your wife to Europe too
Not actually made it yet.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Could turn out badly if a kid tried to sneak a chocolate

Orange Creamate.

Old May 24th 2019, 12:04 pm
Concierge

One of my kids keeps my ex's ashes in a quite large and intimidating black urn. Quite suitable, as he was a bit black and very large and intimidating person. He was also not a nice person, to me at least.

When I first saw it, I waited until the kids weren't looking and stuck my tongue out at it. Oh so childish, and oh so satisfying
Old May 24th 2019, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When my grandmother died the stock crematorium container was a cardboard box lined with plastic. One of my aunts ended up making an urn for her remains, and then when my grandfather died a few years later, they placed her urn in the casket with my grandfather and they are buried together. He is buried in his childhood town in Oklahoma.
Old May 24th 2019, 3:57 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

My mom has told me that she wants her ashes scattered from a plane over lake Ontario

I need to do some research as to the legalities
Also the practicalities. Many a pilot performing this task has discovered that it takes a bit of thought as otherwise the ashes just blow back into the plane!
Old May 24th 2019, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

My mom has told me that she wants her ashes scattered from a plane over lake Ontario

I need to do some research as to the legalities
Also the practicalities. Many a pilot performing this task has discovered that it takes a bit of thought as otherwise the ashes just blow back into the plane!
That also has to be taken into account on land and at sea!

When we got to the place on the skit hill where my sis-i-law wanted her ashes to be spread, it was blowing almost at gale strength. It didn't matter which way we faced, the wind changed direction and would have blown the ashes back at us. Luckily there was a low growing ground cover, possibly bearberry, covering much of the ground between the rocks. We had to carefully lift branches and slowly tip out some ashes .

It was made easier because someone had bought little metal boxes from Lee Valley, and put some ashes in each one. There was a box for each adult, and a slightly smaller one for her grandchildren. So we all could go and find our own little bush to put the ashes, having our private moment as we did so.

Old May 24th 2019, 8:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

On one episode of Wings, Fay received a package containing the ashes of her ex-husband (her second) to her total surprise. She said she used to detest the way he walked around the house smoking cigars and flicking the ashes everywhere. The next day at work someone asked her what she'd done with him, and she replied "Well, he's using an ashtray now!"
Old May 24th 2019, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
On one episode of Wings, Fay received a package containing the ashes of her ex-husband (her second) to her total surprise. She said she used to detest the way he walked around the house smoking cigars and flicking the ashes everywhere. The next day at work someone asked her what she'd done with him, and she replied "Well, he's using an ashtray now!"
i remember a movie of a few years back and Robert Carlyle returns to Glasgow for his mother’s funeral/cremation. After the cremation the funeral director carries the ashes out to the Garden of Remembrance and offers a family member the opportunity to scatter them. A daughter of the deceased grabs the device with the ashes and begins the process. The wind was up and Carlyle said after a few seconds “Jesus Christ, I’m wearing my f*****g mother” (in Glaswegian slang, of course).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.