Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 16th 2019, 10:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BEVS
We're having the house painted. The painter has his own mobile scaffolding and ladders & MrBEVS can access more mobile scaffolding through the company he works for and at no charge but now the painter wants us to have pole scaffolding erected so he can reach the last metre or so. * really fed up sigh*
Scaffolding is rarely seen in Canada. I've seen it on a hospital and a federal government building. Not even seen it on new builds.

I saw something set up along the roofline when a roof was being finished on a new build across the street. However they did it, it looked like side by side planks running along the length of the house but no safety rail.

Of course most of the houses here go up like this

and scaffolding would get in the way.
But scaffolding seems to be the law in the UK and put up in a specified way.
Old May 17th 2019, 12:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Vancity (and other banks/credit unions that don't) would break the balance down by what is available for use, and total. They only show the total which is a pain when some funds are on hold. (deposit a cheque they hold a certain amount for 1 to 5 business days.) Pain as they just show total balance but the entire balance isn't actually available for use.
Old May 17th 2019, 4:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We're having the house painted. The painter has his own mobile scaffolding and ladders & MrBEVS can access more mobile scaffolding through the company he works for and at no charge but now the painter wants us to have pole scaffolding erected so he can reach the last metre or so. * really fed up sigh*
Tell the bugger to stop being an arse and get an extension handle for his paint brush.
Best if you make it sound like that suggestion comes from you, not me
Old May 17th 2019, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever there's a stranger in the house - repairman, whatever - the cat is all over his toolbox, briefcase, whatever and not in the least bit bothered.

But have him out on the deck with the outside work going on - even when it's not noisy, just someone carrying something to the ladder - and he's straining at the leash to come back in.

Scaredy cat?
Old May 17th 2019, 1:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He's given you a quote to paint the house and that includes all material needed to complete the job. If he needs pole scaffolding then it is his responsibility to obtain, erect it and all at no cost to you.

I was engaged to a roofer in the US many moons ago, may he RIP, and that is how he did business. He rented the scaffolding, they delivered and set it up and broke it down and removed it when finished, but the cost was already calculated into the proposed contract.
Old May 17th 2019, 1:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Scaredy cat?

Old May 17th 2019, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Pea Hens are nasty. I would be a scaredy cat myself.
Old May 17th 2019, 3:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
He's given you a quote to paint the house and that includes all material needed to complete the job. If he needs pole scaffolding then it is his responsibility to obtain, erect it and all at no cost to you.

I was engaged to a roofer in the US many moons ago, may he RIP, and that is how he did business. He rented the scaffolding, they delivered and set it up and broke it down and removed it when finished, but the cost was already calculated into the proposed contract.
+1

He knew the height of the house when he submitted his quote and should have anticipated that he would require scaffolding or additional equipment to complete the job and included the cost. His problem if he didn't!

If it's only 3 feet or so why on earth doesn't he get a pole extension for his brush/roller/applicator? I painted 12ft high walls in a stairwell using one (and I'm only 5'1!)
https://besttradetools.co.nz/collect...xtension-poles
Old May 17th 2019, 4:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've painted quite a few multi-story houses using ladders alone, and roofed quite a few more using ladders and ladder jacks and I don't quite understand the problem; how tall is your house? Some friends hired me once to paint the top half of their house; they made a deal with the landlord to do it, painted the bottom half then rented a 40' extension ladder, climbed up there and came down saying Nope. Scary part is when the houses are close together and the high peak means going up all the way on a nearly vertical ladder to paint fascia and eaves. I nail a couple of big spikes into the siding and wire the ladder right onto the house, then plug the holes with butyl caulking on the way out. If you've got access to free scaffolding and outriggers so it can't fall over maybe tell the guy to get up there and tie himself off to the roof and get the finger out.
Old May 18th 2019, 5:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Would be so cool....People living the fish dream.

Old May 18th 2019, 6:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
I've painted quite a few multi-story houses using ladders alone, and roofed quite a few more using ladders and ladder jacks and I don't quite understand the problem; how tall is your house? Some friends hired me once to paint the top half of their house; they made a deal with the landlord to do it, painted the bottom half then rented a 40' extension ladder, climbed up there and came down saying Nope. Scary part is when the houses are close together and the high peak means going up all the way on a nearly vertical ladder to paint fascia and eaves. I nail a couple of big spikes into the siding and wire the ladder right onto the house, then plug the holes with butyl caulking on the way out. If you've got access to free scaffolding and outriggers so it can't fall over maybe tell the guy to get up there and tie himself off to the roof and get the finger out.
Seven metres and a bit more maybe, on a sloping section. Yes. Himself can access free scaffolding and the like. Out here this is really expensive so a huge bonus.
We're sorting something out tomorrow hopefully so that will do it.

This is NZ where everyone knows everyone so things work a bit differently perhaps to other places .

Old May 18th 2019, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wish Vancity (and other banks/credit unions that don't) would break the balance down by what is available for use, and total. They only show the total which is a pain when some funds are on hold. (deposit a cheque they hold a certain amount for 1 to 5 business days.) Pain as they just show total balance but the entire balance isn't actually available for use.

I do almost all our banking online ........ but I NEVER ever trust the balance shown on any of our accounts online!

I keep a transaction record in my cheque book, and deduct cheque amounts there as soon as written, as well as recording Standing Orders for payments when our pension payments go into the bank, even if those SOs will not be paid for another week or two later.

The balance in that transaction record is what I follow .................. transaction records are available from your bank, just ask one of the tellers.

I have a transaction record for each account that we have, so I'm always up to date ................ and have to keep telling OH to ignore the balance shown on the transaction slip when he takes cash out from the bank. He comes home saying how much money is in that account ......... and I have to say "Oh no, we don't!"

You do have to be VERY careful, one of our friends got herself into terrible trouble about 15 years ago by not keeping careful record of money in and money out .......... to the extent that the financial manager took control of her money because she ended up with such a large overdraft, put a lock on how much she was actually allowed to take out in cash. At one point, she was limited to $5 a day.

This is a wonderful lady, now in her mid-70s, worked and supported herself from the age of 17 to just over 60 with reasonably well paid jobs, but she did not graduate from high school because she was not capable of it. She got her high school graduation in her mid-30s by taking postal courses, but has trouble with numbers and math. Hence the problem.

She took my advice and that of another friend who used the same technique, and has kept herself out of money trouble since then.

Last edited by scilly; May 18th 2019 at 10:38 pm.
Old May 18th 2019, 11:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Lord Linley tried to fix the light,
it killed him dead and serves him right,
for it is the duty of every wealthy man
to give employment to the artisan.
Old May 18th 2019, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
I do almost all our banking online ........ but I NEVER ever trust the balance shown on any of our accounts online!

I keep a transaction record in my cheque book, and deduct cheque amounts there as soon as written, as well as recording Standing Orders for payments when our pension payments go into the bank, even if those SOs will not be paid for another week or two later.

The balance in that transaction record is what I follow .................. transaction records are available from your bank, just ask one of the tellers.

I have a transaction record for each account that we have, so I'm always up to date ................ and have to keep telling OH to ignore the balance shown on the transaction slip when he takes cash out from the bank. He comes home saying how much money is in that account ......... and I have to say "Oh no, we don't!"

You do have to be VERY careful, one of our friends got herself into terrible trouble about 15 years ago by not keeping careful record of money in and money out .......... to the extent that the financial manager took control of her money because she ended up with such a large overdraft, put a lock on how much she was actually allowed to take out in cash. At one point, she was limited to $5 a day.

This is a wonderful lady, now in her mid-70s, worked and supported herself from the age of 17 to just over 60 with reasonably well paid jobs, but she did not graduate from high school because she was not capable of it. She got her high school graduation in her mid-30s by taking postal courses, but has trouble with numbers and math. Hence the problem.

She took my advice and that of another friend who used the same technique, and has kept herself out of money trouble since then.
Other then rent we don't write cheques and rent cheque comes out of a dedicated account not used for anything but rent.

The main account is used for bill payment all electronic, all done manually.

Records are kept electronically, no need for paper records.

No overdraft/No line of credit so no worry about the account being negative, but since no cheques are written on the account, and no payment comes out automatically, there is no way it would ever overdraft, if the funds are not there the debit transaction will decline.

The annoyance is with deposits, sometimes they hold none of the cheque, sometimes they hold some, no consistency in it, so deposit a $500 cheque from my wifes work, they add the entire $500 to the balance even though not all of it may be available for use, and keeping a paper ledger won't solve that problem.
Old May 18th 2019, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Imagine being at work when a jet plunges through he roof.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1...nCVJ2CzBHf9O-Q

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.