Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pronunciation difficulties

Pronunciation difficulties

Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:09 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pronunciation difficulties

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
is it not "Urbs" rather than Erbs?

Love the Looga-barooga by the way, that made me laugh

The problem we all have in the UK, is the HUGE differences in accents in one small country.

I even speak differently from my neighbours, lol. I was brought up in a slightly posher area of Glasgow, so I pronounce my "T"'s, like in butter. I don't say "bu-(small cough sound)-urr". I have "Grass" in my garden, the neighbour has "gress".

I would call the area 80 miles south of Glasgow the "Borders", but my pals in Edinburgh call it the "Boarders".

My name is pronounced "Day-vid", but some of you english guys will say "Die-vid", and "Dive" instead of "Dayve".

So, we not only have UK to Canada issues, we have uk to uk issues
I wasn't brought up in a posh area of Glasgow, but my mum was a stickler for proper pronunciation, grammer and table manners. I was even sent off to elocution lessons as she wanted to ensure that I did not speak with a glottal stop. LOL

When I met my OH he was surprised that I was from the Glasgow area as I don't speak like Rab C. Nesbitt. Right enough, he is from Essex and doesn't sound like an Essex boy even although he has a sibling who does.

I just love all the different dialects in our small island. I once met a girl from Buckie and I really had a difficult time understanding her.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:15 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
That is the only problem we have in the UK? Also posher areas in Glasgow....really? I am one of the "Die-Vid" crew
Yes, really It is not just that Edinburgh lot that have posh areas. LOL

I know it will come as a surprise to some people, but not everyone speaks like Rab C. Nesbitt. I have friends from many parts of Glasgow and they are well spoken and know that the letter 'T' exists.

I don't speak with the 'stereotypical' Glasgow accent, but I could quite easily. I have just realized that makes me bilingual. Must add that to my resume/cv.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:43 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Yes, really It is not just that Edinburgh lot that have posh areas. LOL

I know it will come as a surprise to some people, but not everyone speaks like Rab C. Nesbitt. I have friends from many parts of Glasgow and they are well spoken and know that the letter 'T' exists.

I don't speak with the 'stereotypical' Glasgow accent, but I could quite easily. I have just realized that makes me bilingual. Must add that to my resume/cv.
Yeah but that doesn't mean nowt here in Canada, as it's not 1 of the "official" languages that you can do test in, receive docs in, get jobs with, use as an edge for promotion et al
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

ohh the jardeeeen and the irviiine. bunch
really gets on my **** not even the landed gentry in sw scotland i worked for when growing up put on that c***.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:10 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Yeah but that doesn't mean nowt here in Canada, as it's not 1 of the "official" languages that you can do test in, receive docs in, get jobs with, use as an edge for promotion et al
Just as well I am not looking for a job in Canada
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How come, when a Canadian gets hold of his pipe, he sodders it?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:59 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

oddly enough am looking for a farrier so called the neighbour to see who they use. she said "oh we use a guy called Matt Fossett, I don't have his number handy but you can look it up, he's out of Stettler".

So I say cheers thanks are we spelling that "F O S S E T T?"

"No, it's FAWCETT" and I say "oooooh Fawcett (pronouncing it FORCE IT)"

She goes silent, probably thinking i'm an illiterate moron.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
oddly enough am looking for a farrier so called the neighbour to see who they use. she said "oh we use a guy called Matt Fossett, I don't have his number handy but you can look it up, he's out of Stettler".

So I say cheers thanks are we spelling that "F O S S E T T?"

"No, it's FAWCETT" and I say "oooooh Fawcett (pronouncing it FORCE IT)"

She goes silent, probably thinking i'm an illiterate moron.
And to make matters worse Mr. Fossett is probably a furrier.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:06 am
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

Whilst it annoys the bejesus out of me that noone appears to understand what I'm saying, it also has its benefits when I'm chuntering quietly about some a*se of a customer trying to ruin my day and they have no idea. I'm a real professional like that.

My main problem is I can never say people's names properly....I know they pronounce things differently ie 'Laura' becomes 'Lorra', 'Peter' becomes 'Peeder' etc but I always sound like such a tool saying them - it just sounds silly when I say it, so I constantly end up with the "errr, *cough*, could you come here a sec please" situation.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:21 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

One that gets me is the word Onomatopoeia.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
One that gets me is the word Onomatopoeia.
I can't decide if you're cuckoo or sizzling.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:38 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I wasn't brought up in a posh area of Glasgow, but my mum was a stickler for proper pronunciation, grammer and table manners. I was even sent off to elocution lessons as she wanted to ensure that I did not speak with a glottal stop. LOL
My parents still have a strong accent after forty years in Canada and I think it's the Glasgow slang that throws people for a loop.

When I was a kid, I sent one of my Canadian friends in for a glass of water and he came out empty handed - my mom told him "tumblers oot the press and ge'it urself"

Och yer arse - is still a fav and nobody ever knows what your ochster is.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just to stir the pot how do you think the residents of the NWT and Nunavut feel when they hear brits trying to pronounce the village and town names located in those territories

Im just sayin
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:48 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Just to stir the pot how do you think the residents of the NWT and Nunavut feel when they hear brits trying to pronounce the village and town names located in those territories

Im just sayin
How many cradles can pronounce Inuktitut names?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 5th 2012 at 12:51 am.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Im just sayin
Probably feel the same as the Welsh do when the English try to pronounce Welsh place names

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.