Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pronunciation difficulties

Pronunciation difficulties

Old May 31st 2012, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pronunciation difficulties

Originally Posted by Lvh76
I keep getting asked if I'm Australian and I'm bloody welsh!!! Not valley Welsh but guttural North Walian Welsh. My OH is talks like Hugh Grant and I've noticed the swoons from shop assistants.
Does he mumble a lot and then say 'beastly'? Those Canucks will fall for anything, especially shop assistants who've probably never set foot outside of The Beach in their lives.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:56 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
WHAT, all of them? Surely there is no such thing as a British accent. There are hundreds of accents in Britain and quite a few are horrible. I come from Glasgow but never did have a Glesgae accent such as wurrum for worm or whit ya dain. I've made a concerted effort over the years to disguise my origins with, I hope, a modicum of success.
I hate Glaswegian speak.
I hope you grow happily even older in your condition of denial.
Old May 31st 2012, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by London Mike
Does he mumble a lot and then say 'beastly'? Those Canucks will fall for anything, especially shop assistants who've probably never set foot outside of The Beach in their lives.
Yep he does all that and even has the stupid floppy hair. He once threatened to 'bop someone on the nose' on a commuter train once for being rude to the woman serving coffee. I sometimes wonder if he was born in the correct century. I'm his bit o Welsh rough.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
WHAT, all of them? Surely there is no such thing as a British accent. There are hundreds of accents in Britain and quite a few are horrible. I come from Glasgow but never did have a Glesgae accent such as wurrum for worm or whit ya dain. I've made a concerted effort over the years to disguise my origins with, I hope, a modicum of success.
I hate Glaswegian speak.
I love the Glaswegian accent. I can't understand it but I live listening to it.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I call your Toat-in-harm and raise a Kes-wick.
Okay, umm, I see your Kes-wick and raise you Moss-Cow.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep he does all that and even has the stupid floppy hair. He once threatened to 'bop someone on the nose' on a commuter train once for being rude to the woman serving coffee. I sometimes wonder if he was born in the correct century. I'm his bit o Welsh rough.
I realise that probably came out all wrong. I'm sure he's very charming, your OH, and made shop assistants in [insert where you lived in the UK here] swoon all the time.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

I realise that probably came out all wrong. I'm sure he's very charming, your OH, and made shop assistants in [insert where you lived in the UK here] swoon all the time.
No Mike, you were spot on!! And I don't think the shop assistants of Newbury ever gave him much attention.

Ps I wish you never 'introduced' me to Marble Slab. I'm going to be HUGE if I continue my daily visit
Old May 31st 2012, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

No Mike, you were spot on!! And I don't think the shop assistants of Newbury ever gave him much attention.

Ps I wish you never 'introduced' me to Marble Slab. I'm going to be HUGE if I continue my daily visit
Ha ha . Enjoy!
Have you been to Sauvignon for dinner yet? Maybe do a lunch if you have a little one. Fabulous French bistro along Queen back towards Leslieville.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:35 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you grow happily even older in your condition of denial.
Well I thank you for that. I wish you the same in your condition.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

The one that gets me is the Ontarion pronounciation of 'Tottenham'. I think it goes like: 'Toat-in-harm' or something like that. Given that I'm a Spurs fan this one always makes me chuckle. Then again, round North London way we used to pronounce this 'yeeeeeeiiids' so swings and roundabouts.
They say Tottenham as if describing a small child wrapped in luncheon meat. Tot-in-ham. I never knew you were a spurs fan! Me too!
Old May 31st 2012, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Ha ha . Enjoy!
Have you been to Sauvignon for dinner yet? Maybe do a lunch if you have a little one. Fabulous French bistro along Queen back towards Leslieville.
I live literally opposite to Sauvignons. Will have to try it out. You're like an on-line feeder!
Old May 31st 2012, 1:49 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

That takes me back to my childhood. "Green, Red, Red and Amber and back to Green" is a phrase I've never forgotten.

I'm a bit strange.
"Balham" not "Belham" surely? My father is a big Peter Sellers/Goons fan so this is a childhood memory for me too. But in a different way from you.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
They say Tottenham as if describing a small child wrapped in luncheon meat. Tot-in-ham. I never knew you were a spurs fan! Me too!
Yup. You have to be in the Toon Army/EPL thread to know that probably.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

I love the Glaswegian accent. I can't understand it but I live listening to it.
The novelty of having an accent, whether hard to understand or not, soon wears off. I've been working in Toronto for the last month, I've given up trying to order at drive throughs, especially Singh Hortons and being constantly asked to repeat myself - or worse - people kidding on they understood what I've said, is really knocking my pan in! Got to agree with Auld Yin, the sooner you learn to talk while keeping your nasal passages shut, the better you will get on.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Words I have to say really loud for them to understand me are.

You could say those in German and really scare people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.