British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Pronunciation difficulties (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/pronunciation-difficulties-760095/)

Denhamgirl May 30th 2012 4:57 pm

Pronunciation difficulties

Just had a conversation with someone who was trying desperately (and failing) to pronounce the Worcestershire in Worcestershire sauce, bless her. It made me giggle, especially when I told her to try using 'wuster-sure' or even just 'wuster' and those in the know would undertand what she was talking about. Cue the glazed-over look... :)

Any other words you get a kick out of listening to people on this side of the world struggle with? Or any words you get told you aren't pronouncing properly?

lf1 May 30th 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Pronunciation difficulties

I haven't been told that I am not pronouncing it properly, but I have to repeat myself, several times, when I say "thirty". "Earls" is another one where I am misunderstood. I think it is because I am Scottish and rrrrolll
my rrrr's.:)

Sally Redux May 30th 2012 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10091047)
"Earls" is another one where I am misunderstood.

How often does that come up in conversation?

lf1 May 30th 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10091052)
How often does that come up in conversation?

Not too often, but it is the name of a restaurant chain in Western Canada, so comes up when planning to go out for a bite to eat.:) I suppose I could just suggest Tim Hortons instead and the locals would understand me.

Sally Redux May 30th 2012 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10091059)
Not too often, but it is the name of a restaurant chain in Western Canada, so comes up when planning to go out for a bite to eat.:) I suppose I could just suggest Tim Hortons instead and the locals would understand me.

Ah right :lol:

Howefamily May 30th 2012 5:17 pm

water - nearly every time
Canadians just dont understand me - conversation a couple of weeks ago went like this:
receptionist - would you like a refreshment? We have coffee, tea and water
Me - Please can I have a glass of water
Receptionist - what?
me - :confused:

MillieF May 30th 2012 5:22 pm

My husband drives me mad when he says mirror, it comes out as mirrow - and chalk is chock - I have lots of big mirrows in my house and we are packing and marking the backs of furniture with chock...and now he tells me that it's going to be me that sounds like the funny foreigner!

Almost Canadian May 30th 2012 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 10091105)
My husband drives me mad when he says mirror, it comes out as mirrow - and chalk is chock - I have lots of big mirrows in my house and we are packing and marking the backs of furniture with chock...and now he tells me that it's going to be me that sounds like the funny foreigner!

I will never be able to say me-er the way North Americans do. For that, I am grateful;)

Siouxie May 30th 2012 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 10091105)

Yes, lots of people I know say those words like that too - and "hawk" is 'hock' and "dawn" is 'don'.

After 10 years in Canada - and blending my accent - some people still struggle to understand me at times.

Dave n Ailsa May 30th 2012 5:41 pm

Also Scottish, and looking forward to hamming-up the Scottish accent when we get over there :D

A worm will be a "wurrom" and a "squirl" will be a "Squirral" ;)

Oink May 30th 2012 5:50 pm

Words I have to say really loud for them to understand me are.

Steve_ May 30th 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl (Post 10091041)
Any other words you get a kick out of listening to people on this side of the world struggle with? Or any words you get told you aren't pronouncing properly?

Place names constantly, e.g. Scarborough.

Coeur D'Alene is the one that gets me, you think Americans are hard on English, they're even worse on French. E.g. coupé. A coop is somewhere you keep your chickens.

Americans say "Core Dah Lane", Canadians say: "Curr Duh Lean".

Steve_ May 30th 2012 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 10091137)
I will never be able to say me-er the way North Americans do. For that, I am grateful;)

Or "garage", the American way of saying it is as though you own a Bentley.

lf1 May 30th 2012 5:57 pm

A common one is the way people say Edinburgh - usually they say Edinborrow.

el_richo May 30th 2012 6:20 pm

I was talking to a French fella yesterday about his boat. He pronounced it bateau. Silly ****er:thumbdown: